Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you cut fabric on? >

What do you cut fabric on?

What do you cut fabric on?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 AM

Love my JoAnn's table I am 5'5" so it works for me and after cutting a zillion strips for my log cabin it would have had to.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:43 AM

I use the top of my chest style freezer and it is in my unheated or cooled utility room. So cutting is not fun. I do not have room for a table in my sewing room. If I can I use my ironing board with cutting board on top but only for small projects.

Bdor
Old 06-06-2011, 11:48 AM

I have one that I got a Hancocks in Springfield, we was down there visiting my cousin and they had them on sale for 79 dollars it has 2 tables that fold out and when they are down it measures under 2 ft by 4 ft. It is sturdy and I love mine.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:20 PM

I have that table from Joanns and love it. My back is bad also. Sometimes I sit on a bar stool and cut. Id say go for it. You wont be sorry.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:01 PM

Every time I cut fabric, I say a little blessing for the furniture salesperson, who talked me into trying a 3 foot tall dining table, with chairs that have seats at 24". I can sit or stand and cut fabric. I LOVE it. It isn't the cafe height, but just a little shorter. It even has a 'butterfly' leaf for company or larger projects.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:54 PM

I go along with those who suggested PVC pipe extenders. They work great on 'church hall tables'. At home, I have an old wooden table (dropleaves) that DH fitted with PVC legs, which he then PAINTED; probably a spray can of enamel. The legs just blend right in with the wood. Just be sure to measure the diameter of the legs if using a wooden table. You want a snug fit so it is not wobbely.
I am sure that buying a 4'-6'length of PVC and 4 end caps is only a few $.He made an extra set, which we gave to a friend for a donation of $5 to the quilting fund :-)
Old 06-06-2011, 06:43 PM

I use my island bar. It's the perfect height. Only problem, is keeping it cleaned off to use. Hubby likes to keep it covered up.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by phylklos
I go along with those who suggested PVC pipe extenders. They work great on 'church hall tables'. At home, I have an old wooden table (dropleaves) that DH fitted with PVC legs, which he then PAINTED; probably a spray can of enamel. The legs just blend right in with the wood. Just be sure to measure the diameter of the legs if using a wooden table. You want a snug fit so it is not wobbely.
I am sure that buying a 4'-6'length of PVC and 4 end caps is only a few $.He made an extra set, which we gave to a friend for a donation of $5 to the quilting fund :-)
I always make fun of my husband asking what the deal is with guys & PVC! Your husbands idea was great and I'll share it with my hubby.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy
I purchased a 4 ft. table at Staples office supply (on sale). My husband made PVC pipe legs and it is at the exact height I need to stand and cut; NO BENDING. It works perfect and I could cut for a long time and have no back pain at all. I can take a pic if you are interested; PM me with your email.
I have one just like yours...I love cause it is just my size.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:16 PM

I'm in the process of making a new cutting table for myself as I have not had a large enough cutting surface for a long time.

I used two 31.5" tall bookcases as the supports and am putting a white or wood grain board on top of it. The current top is not as large as I'd like, so tomorrow I'm hoping to find a 30 x 48" piece for it. I'll build it up to my proper height.

I'm using the bookcase shelves underneath for thread, tools and some ruler storage.

Cutting table, design wall and treadle sewing machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]207870[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-207864.jpe
Views:	25
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	207870