Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine.... >

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

Old 06-06-2011, 05:23 PM

Mine is a mess too. I don't like the cupboards I have because I have to get on my knees to open the doors. The house roof slants w/no dormers, so I cannot put bookcases flat against the wall. It's a combo storage room & sewing room. Lately I've been purging the storage portion. LOL

Flylady.com says we can do anything for 15 minutes! When I get overwhelmed, I set my timer & work on cleaning til it dings. Then I leave & shut the door!
Old 06-06-2011, 05:54 PM

I am not real fond of the method they show because of the lump where the final fold is when you have large pieces of fabric.

I use the acrylic rulers as a guide, but with a twist.

I have several folds that I use. For fabric 1 yard or less, I fold it selvage to selvage and then in half again selvage to fold and wrap it around a 4" wide ruler. For over 1 yard to 2 yards, I fold it in half selvege to selvege, fold it in half selvage to fold and wrap it around a 6" ruler.

For over 2 yards I either fold it selvage to selvage and wrap it around an 8x24 ruler and store it in my deep linen closet, or I fold selvage to selvage and selvage to fold and wrap that around an 8" wide ruler.

This way I can see at a glance how much of a particular piece of fabric I have. It took a while to do it, but it is a great help now. Speak of the devil -- I have to go fold fabric and clean the sewing room right now. :D
Old 06-06-2011, 06:06 PM

I trash mine everytime that I get a new quilt magazine. You know the feeling....you know just the perfect fabric that will work with that pattern....you go into the room, pull several fabrics and when all is said and done, there are several stacks of fabrics in little piles all over the floor and every work surface!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
Originally Posted by frauhahn
This is the reason that I don't have one-if I sew in the livingroom or diningroom....
How about just using those rooms for a permanent sewing room?

My wife had a small bedroom for a sewing room, and every time her friends came by, everyone ended up crowding into her small sewing room to see her latest projects. Even when it was just the two of us here, we were usually both in the sewing room visiting or watching TV. So...

We had most of our sewing machine collection in the livingroom anyway, so one day in October 2009, we turned our entire living room (13' x 18') and dining room (10' x 10') into 334 square feet of sewing room. We now have a sewing room with a small parlor area (loveseat, 2 recliners, & TV) and a snack nook (the dining table and chairs pushed into a corner). The dining table also doubles as a cutting and layout table. We still use the walk-in closet in the old bedroom sewing room for supplies and fabric storage.

We’ve enjoyed our new “sewing room” greatly. Of course, you could consider our entire home a sewing room really. We have 33 machines in our house, counting storage rooms, bedrooms and bathrooms, including 10 cabinets and treadles. Thirteen of the machines are up and running whenever needed. The rest are awaiting our attention.

CD in Oklahoma
I like your idea...I've been thinking about where to go...and had a thought about my LR/DR/Office area....the tv is in there and I have an old White machine in a cabinet...you know, I actually sew more on that machine because it's located in a 'living area' moreso than my sewing machine in my bedroom.....

I think you're onto something here.....great idea!
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 06-06-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by carrieg
Mine is a mess too. I don't like the cupboards I have because I have to get on my knees to open the doors. The house roof slants w/no dormers, so I cannot put bookcases flat against the wall. It's a combo storage room & sewing room. Lately I've been purging the storage portion. LOL

Flylady.com says we can do anything for 15 minutes! When I get overwhelmed, I set my timer & work on cleaning til it dings. Then I leave & shut the door!
I LOVE Flylady! She's saved my sanity years ago....great system that works!
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 06-06-2011, 10:57 PM

The ruler in front of a fave tv show would work so well for me. Also that timer to clean could be a motivater. I an finding these videos work sowell. I retain visual directions better than what i read. More hands on.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:16 PM

My 11 x 9 craft room is at present a big mess - really meant to clean it during winter months, busy helping other folks (sis broke her leg, has a hubby with terminal brain tumor & a friend was hit by drunk driver & almost died) so I closed the door & look in only to find fabric. I've been sewing at kitchen table. Now that summer is approaching, true cleanup will probably wait until next winter. I imagine I'll find fabric & magazine surprises when I get to the bottom of my mess - will be fun!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by valve2921
I am right up there with no time to organize. My son threatens to call in hoarders team. Parts that r organized r in great shape but can no longer get to that part.
My sewing room is difficult to navigate now, as it also is a catch-all for whenever we have company. A parent of one of my daughter's friends, who is a shopaholic for clothes at all the "right stores", called me a hoarder when she saw my sewing room. She said I need an intervention; & wasn't kidding.
She, however, needs an intervention for spending too much money on specialty company high-priced clothes for her family, then accepts "free tuition assistance" at a private Christian school. It bothers me that I know many of the elderly people that go to her church & live on a limited income, who basically support her kids @ school. I have never said anything to her, but I do bite my tongue a LOT! Would you do/say anything & to whom?
At least my hoarding, helps to make blankets for soldiers & their children, & I ask nothing from anyone else to support my habit!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by JulieTN
One thing a friend did I thought was about the best idea ever - was to totally empty her sewing room - period. Then begin to select what pieces of furniture she could use from the stuff she took out, and continued from there. Start heaving stuff into the hall etc immediately - no thought, just throw it out of the room!Julie
Great suggestion! When I cleaned houses for others during college, I actually never minded, because the piles weren't mine to go through. I just moved everything out of the way, cleaned & put things back. I think it is always easier to do the big part...like furniture, major boxes of organized supplies.
The tough part comes in sorting out the "junk" boxes that have accumulated over time, when things had to be put away in a hurry, just a mish-mash of every kind of thing. I have a few of these to go through as well. Just follow what others have suggested on this board in other posts...start somewhere & just set a timer to do 10, 20, or 30 minutes a day, & eventually you'll get there. Now, if I can only follow this advice myself. :oops:
Old 06-07-2011, 02:39 AM

Are you all talking about my sewing / bedroom?