Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize! >

June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

Old 06-07-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Leann
Originally Posted by deedee75

Yesterday, I was so overdosed on coughdrops that I had no appetite for anything. I pretty much had coughdrops and water for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I know of people who pop a coughdrop when they get hungry or the munchies.
Ugh! I would never pop in a coughdrop unless absolutely necessary! I cant' stand the suckers!

I feel 90% better every morning, but by early afternoon I am starting to lag. The flu plus the high heat/humidity is sapping all my energy. The girls and I are going to the local discount warehouse today. It's like a huge grocery outlet/ bent can store. They can pick out some stuff they like to eat without causing my wallet to bleed.

Using a prybar, I got them out of the house for a little while yesterday morning to work in the yard with me. Once I got her out there, the little one was really enjoying planting.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:29 AM

I really have not too much to talk about, I gave up my soft drinks, donuts, and candy hoping that will make a difference.I really have been sorta down in the dumps hope I can pull myself out of it. I will step on the scales tonite for the first time since we started this, I really think that I may have lost some. Thanks Ladies.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:06 AM

cheri62, those are hard things to give up, but your body will love you for it. I still want a cold Coke in this weather, but I know the stuff has no redeeming value. Water with lemon is very refreshing! Have you increased your exercise? There's nothing like fresh air and moving to improve a mood.

Gail, I am usually pretty careful with the humidity. I have congestive heart failure, though I've had few episodes the last few years. Also multiple other heart conditions, one hereditary. I had my first heart attack at 5 years old, one at 13, one at 17 and a big one at 29. The next year I delivered twins so obviously I recovered. Just for the record, I was underweight in those days so weight wasn't a factor. Thank you for telling me to carry water. I've never gotten in the habit of doing that walking, just biking, but I will try to remember. Today is supposed to be hotter, so I need to get out and work in a garden for a while before it gets too hot. I also try to avoid direct sun. Lupus and sun is a bad mix. That's why my long walk is in the evening. I had every annual and all the new perennials in the ground, so what did I do? Went the the garden center on my way home from a meeting. Just two little cell packs, no more flats, but it has to stop. It's not like fabric. Plants don't keep well.

Today?? work outside, work on the dressing table that followed me home Saturday, finish a quilt, clean up so I can start my greaddaughter's wedding one, have dinner with my oldest daughter, attend a soft ballgame to see my teen friend play and wait to see what MJ has in store for us to think and write about. Sounds like I need to get started. Y'all have a great, healthy day.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:25 AM

I want to stick with this challenge but I'm not doing very well. I get too tired and too busy then food just calls my name. Seems like I have to start over every morning.
It's too hot and humid to walk outside and I have to drive at least 7 miles to the nearest town. Maybe I should just buy gasoline instead of food. I need some encouragement from some of you please.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:38 AM

Fabricnut - I understand where you're coming from. I'm in the process of redoing my food plan because of health problems. I have diabetis and gastroparesis, which means I have yo stay on top of my sugar levels and eat only soft foods. With gastroparesis the stomach muscles don't work to empty your stomach so you basically have to wait for gravity to work which can take along time. If I eat meat it can take up to two days for it to empty my stomach causing all sorts of pain.

One of the girls on this thread (MJ) recommended to go to a site called MyFitnessPal.com. It's a wonderful sight - you can log all your food and exercise and it helps you keep track of your calories to. By seeing everything in black & white it has been much easier for me to stay on track while learning what new food I can eat and how they fit in my food plan.

Just hang in there and take things one day at a time. Keep in touch with people on this board and don't get down on yourself. You can do this!
Originally Posted by Fabricnut
I want to stick with this challenge but I'm not doing very well. I get too tired and too busy then food just calls my name. Seems like I have to start over every morning.
It's too hot and humid to walk outside and I have to drive at least 7 miles to the nearest town. Maybe I should just buy gasoline instead of food. I need some encouragement from some of you please.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Leann

Yesterday, I was so overdosed on coughdrops that I had no appetite for anything. I pretty much had coughdrops and water for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I know of people who pop a coughdrop when they get hungry or the munchies.
Ugh! I would never pop in a coughdrop unless absolutely necessary! I cant' stand the suckers!

I feel 90% better every morning, but by early afternoon I am starting to lag. The flu plus the high heat/humidity is sapping all my energy. The girls and I are going to the local discount warehouse today. It's like a huge grocery outlet/ bent can store. They can pick out some stuff they like to eat without causing my wallet to bleed.

Using a prybar, I got them out of the house for a little while yesterday morning to work in the yard with me. Once I got her out there, the little one was really enjoying planting.
When I get a cold/upper respiratory junk, I found a tea that I drink and since I started drinking it 2 yrs ago I have not had a cold. It is Tazo Africian Red Bush. When i feel on coming on I drink 2-4 cups a day, and one daily. I order it from Vitacost.com for about 3.54 a box of 20, but you need to order at least 4 boxes since they have a 4.99 flat rate shipping fee.

It is decaf and good for kids, one of my friends gives it to her baby and toddler. can drink hot or cold and sweeten how u like

Give it a try, it works
Old 06-07-2011, 07:03 AM

I wasn't getting any emails to let know that a new post happened, was beginning to think that the board was quiet. Boy was I wrong when I came to check it out.

Sounds like a lot of you have been good.

MJ your MIA.............hope you didnt lose another computer.

Missy how did it go with your follow up?

Well got on the scales this morning and I am down another 2 lbs. YEAH, all I have done was increase my water intake. I need to go get more as i dont like the tap water here.

Keep up the hard work it will pay of in the end.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:35 AM

Do you really think the water makes that much difference? I know I fall down there. My food is good, my exercise is good, but my weight is stuck. I recently told my youngest daughter about water with lemon, cucumber, mint and some spices. She's not using the spices, but is dropping inches like crazy. I don't know about pounds - she doesn't weigh herself.

Okay, my assignment for today. Put my water in the fridge so I know how much I drink. Keep a tally on the fridge door. Won't work tomorrow. I have to go out of town for an app't with a neurologist - scary, but necessary. Good thing is, there is a JoAnn's in Traverse City. My funds are limited lately, but I can always justify buying batting with my coupons. I can pet the pretty fabrics. I do need a light batik for the background of that daughter's birthday quilt, but JA's nicer batiks are $13 a yard. I think I'll have to order from Keepsake.

My water is softened and then filtered at the tap. It's easier and fresher tasting than having to buy bottled water. My water is city water, so it has a chlorine taste without the filter.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:42 AM

i'm lurking some. been busy. have a 4 yr old grandson for a couple weeks. at my old age feeling 64, and been working since i was 5 yrs old, (and you ask how?--i had to babysit the other kids) and all my aches and pains, that is a real challenge. but enjoying the dickens out of him. really enjoying the sharing of you ladies. sorry, i can't share a lot. that's just me. but enjoying all the chit chat.
MIssy, how are you doing. got a couple FQ mailed off to the 2 winners last month.
i am hanging in there. leaving the crap alone, the best i can.
how about i show you ladies a picture OF ME from YEARS AGO?
i don't think i want to share a FAT picture of me....
Old 06-07-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Fabricnut
Fabricnut,
I live outside of a small town (600 pop.) in southern IL, so I can totally understand not having a good place to walk when it's hot and humid! If/When you go shopping at Wal-mart go to their workout dvd selection in the sporting goods dept. They have I believe her name is Leslie Somers, not sure about her last name, anyway, she's got 4-5 different DVD's called walk at home. My friend and I do them we're up to her 4 mile DVD and will soon be moving onto the 5 mile one. They are around 10 bucks a piece and they really do give you a good workout! We do this when we can't get outside!