Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Never been to JoAnn's - What am I missing? >

Never been to JoAnn's - What am I missing?

Never been to JoAnn's - What am I missing?

Old 06-07-2011, 05:54 PM

While the closest JoAnn's is almost 2 hours away, truthfully, I don't feel that you're missing that much. It USE to be much better, but then again, so did Walmart before they removed the fabric departments. I don't know if I'm just getting picky or old but some places just don't "do it" for me like they use to....
Old 06-07-2011, 06:04 PM

I work at a Joann's. Our store is small with limited space so our fabric selection isn't what the larger stores carry. Fabrics are being upgraded and new lines added. Our staff is very friendly; most of us have been sewing for years. I hope your nexr visit to Joann's is a good shopping experience. If it isn't, please tell the manager, and/or contact the corporate office and let them know why. Thanks for reading, and happy quilting.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
dkcowl, Ditto!
I agree. Ditto. My closest is 100 miles. Do I go? No way.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:33 PM

The super ones are nice, go there for mostly notions batting and scrapbooking supplies. Fabric if I am going to make something like potholders or other things like diaper bags, but don't really buy quilting fabric there. fabric is okay, can find some nice stuff like at walmart if you weed through it. Great for sales and coupons. Most stuff you can get online sometimes on sale with free shipping so I would check that out first before driving far. Some stores aren't that big, and some stores aren't that friendly.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:54 PM

Honestly Jo-Ann's fabric isn't that great. Some of it I've seen in Wal-Mart. They're so called quilters cotton is more expensive than the LQS and the quality isn't there. I go to Jo-Ann for rulers, notions blade, etc but get my fabric at Fabric Shops where there is always a knowledgable person to help me and the quality is excellent.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:10 PM

I agree. I couldn't wait to finally have a fabric store with a good selection of fabrics. Boy was i disappointed. I have never been in one and not had to stand in line, no matter the time of the day.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by sew_southern
We just got one last fall and I'm not impressed. It's like Michaels & Hancocks put together or a downsized version of Hobby Lobby. Ours doesn't have a good cotton selection, mostly fleece, flannel & decorative. We're in the southeast, why did they send all this fleece doing down here?? :lol:

I'm glad that I am not the only one that feels this way. I work across the road from it and would be great to spend my lunch break, but I was very disappointed in what they have.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 PM

I noticed the remodeled ones have a lot more craft items than fabric. Does anyone else notice that??? :?:
Old 06-07-2011, 07:21 PM

Ours is small and its filled with seasonal junk just like Wal-Mart
Old 06-07-2011, 07:45 PM

The one close to me is really pretty good. They moved to a new bigger location last summer and just expanded again right after Christmas. They have a very large selection of fabric. I go there a lot and have found the workers to be very friendly and helpful. You do have to wait in line to get fabric cut a lot of the time but you can sometimes walk right up and have it done. I really like their coupons. If you are a teacher, which I am, you can get an extra 15% off your total bill every time you shop. You just have to sign up.