Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize! >

June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

Old 06-08-2011, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by JHolm
Fabricnut - I understand where you're coming from. I'm in the process of redoing my food plan because of health problems. I have diabetis and gastroparesis, which means I have yo stay on top of my sugar levels and eat only soft foods. With gastroparesis the stomach muscles don't work to empty your stomach so you basically have to wait for gravity to work which can take along time. If I eat meat it can take up to two days for it to empty my stomach causing all sorts of pain.

One of the girls on this thread (MJ) recommended to go to a site called MyFitnessPal.com. It's a wonderful sight - you can log all your food and exercise and it helps you keep track of your calories to. By seeing everything in black & white it has been much easier for me to stay on track while learning what new food I can eat and how they fit in my food plan.

Just hang in there and take things one day at a time. Keep in touch with people on this board and don't get down on yourself. You can do this!
Originally Posted by Fabricnut
I want to stick with this challenge but I'm not doing very well. I get too tired and too busy then food just calls my name. Seems like I have to start over every morning.
It's too hot and humid to walk outside and I have to drive at least 7 miles to the nearest town. Maybe I should just buy gasoline instead of food. I need some encouragement from some of you please.
I went back and re-read some of the posts again.I have a huge problem going #2 also.I go sometimes 3-4 days,and that's my norm.Which is really bad.I always been that way.We should be going every day.So to combat that.I started using mineral oil every night.As we had an old dog that we had to do that with also from the vet.So,that's where I got the idea.I know mineral oil is a by product of petrolium,bla bla bla,but been doing it for 2 yrs now.And I am going every day,once a day.No runs or anything cause I don't drink the bottle dry.Just enough to keep my intestines lubricated.And it's different for everybody.Myself,I don't need a lot.And I feel a lot better that it doesn't sit there for 3 days putrifying and rotting in my guts.I also have and had trouble with constipation {bad} from my pain meds.Have had to 'dig' myself out more than once {many times in fact}and it hurts like crazy.Very painful when you got a rock-hard one and it won't budge.And if you do,it's like passing a baby there.I know it's not a nice subject,but we all are being frank,honest,and keeping it real on here.Anyway,that has worked wonders for me,and I haven't had a problem in over 2 yrs now doing it.Another reason to drink lots of water.Plus the people that have stomach surgery where they shorten their intestines,that's what they do,and why they do it.The food basically slides right through them,so they get enemic.I don't have surgery,so don't have that problem,so it does travel all the way down the 5 miles I think it is,and I do retain my vitamins and minerals.As I go every 24 hrs,not 3 hrs or 4hrs or what ever it is for the gastro surgery people.I haven't had a cold or the flu,or my hubby in over 6 years now.Anyway,just tossing it out there.May not work where you don't have muscles to push,but again,hey,if it will slide down easier,you may not have the pain,plus it also softens the stools a bit.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Xylie55
Fabricnut - I understand where you're coming from. I'm in the process of redoing my food plan because of health problems. I have diabetis and gastroparesis, which means I have yo stay on top of my sugar levels and eat only soft foods. With gastroparesis the stomach muscles don't work to empty your stomach so you basically have to wait for gravity to work which can take along time. If I eat meat it can take up to two days for it to empty my stomach causing all sorts of pain.

One of the girls on this thread (MJ) recommended to go to a site called MyFitnessPal.com. It's a wonderful sight - you can log all your food and exercise and it helps you keep track of your calories to. By seeing everything in black & white it has been much easier for me to stay on track while learning what new food I can eat and how they fit in my food plan.

Just hang in there and take things one day at a time. Keep in touch with people on this board and don't get down on yourself. You can do this!
I want to stick with this challenge but I'm not doing very well. I get too tired and too busy then food just calls my name. Seems like I have to start over every morning.
It's too hot and humid to walk outside and I have to drive at least 7 miles to the nearest town. Maybe I should just buy gasoline instead of food. I need some encouragement from some of you please.
I went back and re-read some of the posts again.I have a huge problem going #2 also.I go sometimes 3-4 days,and that's my norm.Which is really bad.I always been that way.We should be going every day.So to combat that.I started using mineral oil every night.As we had an old dog that we had to do that with also from the vet.So,that's where I got the idea.I know mineral oil is a by product of petrolium,bla bla bla,but been doing it for 2 yrs now.And I am going every day,once a day.No runs or anything cause I don't drink the bottle dry.Just enough to keep my intestines lubricated.And it's different for everybody.Myself,I don't need a lot.And I feel a lot better that it doesn't sit there for 3 days putrifying and rotting in my guts.I also have and had trouble with constipation {bad} from my pain meds.Have had to 'dig' myself out more than once {many times in fact}and it hurts like crazy.Very painful when you got a rock-hard one and it won't budge.And if you do,it's like passing a baby there.I know it's not a nice subject,but we all are being frank,honest,and keeping it real on here.Anyway,that has worked wonders for me,and I haven't had a problem in over 2 yrs now doing it.Another reason to drink lots of water.Plus the people that have stomach surgery where they shorten their intestines,that's what they do,and why they do it.The food basically slides right through them,so they get enemic.I don't have surgery,so don't have that problem,so it does travel all the way down the 5 miles I think it is,and I do retain my vitamins and minerals.As I go every 24 hrs,not 3 hrs or 4hrs or what ever it is for the gastro surgery people.I haven't had a cold or the flu,or my hubby in over 6 years now.Anyway,just tossing it out there.May not work where you don't have muscles to push,but again,hey,if it will slide down easier,you may not have the pain,plus it also softens the stools a bit.
I have been constipated from my meds for years. The doctor has me drinking 2-3 glasses of citrucel a day and taking a dose of milk of magnesia.

The gastroparesis is different. My stomach muscles are not working. The doctor believes it's from so many abdominal surgeries I have had over the years. I have to eat five small meals a day of soft food and food that is easy to digest because I'm also having problems digesting my food. The gastroparesis also causes severe acid reflux problems. Side effect of the whole situation is nausea, vomiting and severe pain.

As long as I take the citrucel and MOM I have no problems going to the bathroom however the gastroparesis is a dailey problem that I am slowly learning to live with.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by createfourpaws
Originally Posted by deedee75
Originally Posted by Leann
Originally Posted by deedee75

Yesterday, I was so overdosed on coughdrops that I had no appetite for anything. I pretty much had coughdrops and water for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I know of people who pop a coughdrop when they get hungry or the munchies.
Ugh! I would never pop in a coughdrop unless absolutely necessary! I cant' stand the suckers!

I feel 90% better every morning, but by early afternoon I am starting to lag. The flu plus the high heat/humidity is sapping all my energy. The girls and I are going to the local discount warehouse today. It's like a huge grocery outlet/ bent can store. They can pick out some stuff they like to eat without causing my wallet to bleed.

Using a prybar, I got them out of the house for a little while yesterday morning to work in the yard with me. Once I got her out there, the little one was really enjoying planting.
When I get a cold/upper respiratory junk, I found a tea that I drink and since I started drinking it 2 yrs ago I have not had a cold. It is Tazo Africian Red Bush. When i feel on coming on I drink 2-4 cups a day, and one daily. I order it from Vitacost.com for about 3.54 a box of 20, but you need to order at least 4 boxes since they have a 4.99 flat rate shipping fee.

It is decaf and good for kids, one of my friends gives it to her baby and toddler. can drink hot or cold and sweeten how u like

Give it a try, it works
I drink tea all day long but I haven't tried that one. I'm willing to give it a try, as I get colds all year long.

I'm supposed to be out mowing before the high heat hits today, yesterday was 97 before the heat index, today is supposed to be the same. This is one of the times I regret being the only one on the block that doesn't have a riding lawn mower.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:15 AM

Those talking about not having money to join weight loss programs local, there are several very good sites on the web that I have used and when I'm on the weight loss tear, still use. It's just so hard to stay committed to changing.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/ is a very good resource. It has all sorts of helpful tools, you can use the meal plans they set up or just enter what you eat. You can get an exercise routine and you can update what you did. YOu can have a blog or journal your thoughts. There are different groups you can join or set up a new group-maybe we could be a quiltingboard group? if anyone is interested...

I also read a lot on 3fatchicks.com, it's a weight loss forum where people just post messages about different topics concerned with weight loss and such.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:35 AM

Good morning, y'all. It appears I sweated off two pounds yesterday. I had gained one, so that puts me down one for June. Hey, it's a start when you've been stuck.

I just stopped in for a quick hello. Tonight is our monthly quilt group at church. I need to press a stack of fabrics this morning so I can cut out my granddaughter's wedding quilt. I'm making a Jewel Box from a pattern on a blog. Can't bring myself to pay high dollar for Eleanor Burns' pattern. Besides, she wastes too much fabric overcutting and trimming, IMO. An inch here and there adds up. Kind of like saving a few calories here and there.

It's supposed to be a little cooler today. Mid 80s instead of 90. My big dog would like the AC on, but I'm not a fan as long as I can stand it. Whoa, it just started to rain, but the sun is shining brightly. Good, my flowers need the water and I'm not a fan of wrangling hoses, either.

Off to the neurologist. One of the reviews on his website said he's easy to look at, which will be a plus. 'Course, he's young enough to be my grandchild. I hope he doesn't mention back surgery because it just can't happen. There is no one here to take care of me after surgery. Lily is a doctor ordered ESA, but she's still a dog. Moira is just an imp.

This isn't getting my quilting bag packed, so I'll check in later. Have a good day, everyone.

I AM losing weight!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Good for you Irishrose!!!! I've quit my 2 acre walk for now. It's been to hot and humid. I get sick to my stomach.I have been working a little outside in the evening though.Trying to get a small veg. garden out.Also mowing. not much excerise on a riding mower.But I did sweat.Glad everone is back online.I'm down 1 # I too am LOSING weight!!Mary
Old 06-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

I forgot to mention I sent Missy her FQ yesterday.I don't know who or if we are suppose to say when we do. Thanks Mary
Old 06-08-2011, 10:14 AM

Good morning all, Had a good start to the day ate whole grain cereal with fresh blueberries and half a peach and black coffee my midmorning snack was the other half of peach and 16 oz of water.
I also have the poo problem and need to be always aware and eat lots of fiber and drink water. But I have always been this way so it's just the way it is.
Keep up the good fight and I'll check in later.
Gail
Old 06-08-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Xylie55

I have been constipated from my meds for years. The doctor has me drinking 2-3 glasses of citrucel a day and taking a dose of milk of magnesia.

The gastroparesis is different. My stomach muscles are not working. The doctor believes it's from so many abdominal surgeries I have had over the years. I have to eat five small meals a day of soft food and food that is easy to digest because I'm also having problems digesting my food. The gastroparesis also causes severe acid reflux problems. Side effect of the whole situation is nausea, vomiting and severe pain.

As long as I take the citrucel and MOM I have no problems going to the bathroom however the gastroparesis is a dailey problem that I am slowly learning to live with.
Oh how terrible.I wish there was something they could do to fix you.All I can say now is god made us,and he can fix us and put us back together again.He healed my hubby of altizmers 4 yrs ago,and my sister of cancer 6 yrs ago.And have had and seen many many other miracles,He truly is the great physician.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Good morning, y'all. It appears I sweated off two pounds yesterday. I had gained one, so that puts me down one for June. Hey, it's a start when you've been stuck.

I just stopped in for a quick hello. Tonight is our monthly quilt group at church. I need to press a stack of fabrics this morning so I can cut out my granddaughter's wedding quilt. I'm making a Jewel Box from a pattern on a blog. Can't bring myself to pay high dollar for Eleanor Burns' pattern. Besides, she wastes too much fabric overcutting and trimming, IMO. An inch here and there adds up. Kind of like saving a few calories here and there.

It's supposed to be a little cooler today. Mid 80s instead of 90. My big dog would like the AC on, but I'm not a fan as long as I can stand it. Whoa, it just started to rain, but the sun is shining brightly. Good, my flowers need the water and I'm not a fan of wrangling hoses, either.

Off to the neurologist. One of the reviews on his website said he's easy to look at, which will be a plus. 'Course, he's young enough to be my grandchild. I hope he doesn't mention back surgery because it just can't happen. There is no one here to take care of me after surgery. Lily is a doctor ordered ESA, but she's still a dog. Moira is just an imp.

This isn't getting my quilting bag packed, so I'll check in later. Have a good day, everyone.

I AM losing weight!
That's great.3 more pounds,you'll have the 5 pound challenge met.I am losing weight,I am losing weight