Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning Sewing Machine >

Cleaning Sewing Machine

Cleaning Sewing Machine

Old 06-07-2011, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Hi,

I have a old Bernina 730 Record and a newer Bernina 1090 that I clean with a regular sewing machine lint brush. Here are some neat instructions on cleaning out a Bernina machine and he uses some different "tools" you're sure to have around the house. :thumbup:

http://blog.tv-sewingcenter.com/bern...ewing-machine/

Hope you find this helpful, I know I learned a thing or two. :D
I have an old Bernina 910 and that is how I have always cleaned it...no problems in 25 years so I will keep doing it!!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:38 AM

We have sergers and regular machines in our church sewing room. I use a cheap pastry brush while I am vacuuming the machine. An inexpensive paint brush would also work.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:24 AM

One thing a friend of mine, that worked in a sewing machine place, showed me was to use a clean pipe cleaner. I was amazed how well that worked. :)
Old 06-08-2011, 08:55 AM

I just use a paint brush, works great!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:06 AM

So much controversy over air vs no air. The Pfaff dealer told me not to use it but he works on machines and it expensive to clean., When I had a babylock they showed us how to remove the side plate and clean it ourselves and did say air. The Brother dealer also showed how to remove the side and blow the air away to remove the dust. The Pfaff would not show me how to take the plate off.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:59 AM

I recently bought a used Singer 600 that belonged to someone's grandmother. The top was nice and clean, but when I looked at the bottom of the machine it was packed with dust bunnies, thread, etc. Those parts were really working to keep moving! I used a tweezers to get the stuff out -- then vacuumed with a mini-vac from Nancy's Notions that is an excellent size & owrks on my computer and printer too. After it was all cleaned, I oiled with sewing machine oil. Machine runs like a charm now.

BTW, Joann's has these lint brushes. I believe you can find them at many of the sights like Nancy's Notions, Clothilde etc. as well. I have one in each machine I own (8) and believe me, they aren't original! Can you picture a lint brush after 100 years? :)
Old 06-08-2011, 12:23 PM

My Bernina dealer told me that you can use air in the bobbin area and press the top plate off and use air. DO NOT use air around any where else. I have two Bernina's and I think that it depends on what one feels safe in doing.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jim
I don't blow anything inside my machine..its scatters the dust up into parts of the machine you can't get to. I use a long paint brush to get into places that my little brush cant get...a tad of oil on the brush helps catch the dust easier.
And pipe cleaners.....
Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by 3plus2granny
I have a 730 also. You can use an artist's paintbrush or even a pipe cleaner. I took a class once where the teacher showed us how to use the pipe cleaner to catch the threads that might get stuck in the upper threading.

Good luck.
I'd like to know more about how to use a pipe cleaner to catch the threads that get stuck in the upper threading. Anything you can do to show me? Thanks so much. :D
Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

I use a soft, small paint brush as well as an older tooth brush. They seem to work, so use whatever floats your boat.