Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine.... >

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

Old 06-08-2011, 02:03 PM

I need a whole house for my stuff.I have a sewing room but I can only get in it to get some fabric out when I need it.Have to sew on the kit table.I even have cartons of material in dinning room with the ironing board.Had to get rid of the table and chairs so I can have room in there.Still have about 6 big containers to go through out back in shed.Dont know where I am going to put them.I gave a bunch to a friend thats just learning to quilt.Im new at it to but I have made quilts for about 8 years for the homeless in a town not far from us.People where I work gave me a lot of material for that.Thats where most of my stash came from.no pattern to quilts I make for them,just sewing maerial together and sometimes using a top for center and back.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:28 PM

what are the folded Christmas balls. Sounds like a good way to use small amounts of fabric, which I have loads of.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by dharen7
My sil and I made a nice sewing room for me in the family room and when I went down to fix up a tastefully simple order for one of my clients when I picked up the box off the floor it was wet. Looked over here I had excess water on the floor soaked up in the carpet, traveled up the boards on the back of my shelving and my material was damp. Hopefully I can just stick it in the dryer for a few and it'll be okay. I was thinking I was lucky my sewing table was to high and my husband had to put a 4*4 under my pedal or I could have gotten shocked when I was down there sewing . I never wear shoes. So back to square one rooms a mess I cut up all the carpet dragged it out to the trash. now waiting for the big decision to re carpet or just put a couple of rugs down. Put everything up on blocks and pray it dosent get moldy

Even if it don't get moldy, it is probably smelly. I left a basement window open once and it rained in on some of my stash, being around it all the time, I didn't notice the odor, but others did.

So if you sew for others I would wash and dry the material.

I keep a dehumidifer in the basement to protect my sewing machines from moisture.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

You are definitely not alone. I get my sewing area picked up and organized, then I start a project, pull out all this fabric, then have to put it back, but I can leave my sewing machine set up all day and night. However, the down size is that the sewing area is also my bedroom and I have to remember to clean off the bed before I can go to bed. I'm slowly working on my stash, but that will take time. I try to keep the fabric organized in large plastic totes, then I start another project, pull out fabric, etc., etc. Oh well, out of chaos comes beautiful quilts and quilted items.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by valve2921
I am right up there with no time to organize. My son threatens to call in hoarders team. Parts that r organized r in great shape but can no longer get to that part.
Ah, the ever helpful non-quilters..... Sign for door: "If this door is closed, keep walkin' " :roll:
Old 06-08-2011, 08:39 PM

The best way to clean a sewing room is to close the door. Everything looks wonderful behind a closed door!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ButtermilkMama
I know exactly how you feel. I have to sew in my dining room so have to keep everything "picked up". The rest is upstairs in a very small bedroom w/ a dbl bed and dresser in it. I would love to take down the bed and store it somewhere but my DH doesn't want me upstairs, so I am stuck.
Got that off my chest, now I feel better.
Ah! you are so lucky, DH just wants to spend all his free time sitting and visiting with you while you "re-arrange" the dining room.... day in and day out! ;-)
Old 06-08-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Originally Posted by sailsablazin
I have taken over my son's bedroom---mighty small with a bed still and a dresser and lots of his stuff that I don't want to take the time to get rid of. He moved out ages ago, but don't know how much of all of his memoribilia he wants. So, after I crawl over the Nordic Track, then I can get to my machine. But the ironing board is out in another room along with fabric cluttering the guest bed. If we get company it really messes me up! So, come on over, but don't spend the night (don't want to put everything away!!
Can you take the bed apart stand the matress and frame on edge against the wall and use them for a design wall?
:thumbup: ..."ages ago?".... Girl you need space to creative...birds toss stuff out of the nest when the baby birds are on their own... advise DS his stuff wants to live with him. Two words: Public Storage. offer to pre-pay 3 months rent for his stuff and hand him the key.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:56 AM

Debs, this is a great way to clean... I need to use this method for alllll my rooms. Quilter 1234
Old 06-10-2011, 08:23 AM

When my mother was about 83 she called me up to say she had just about finished all those things she put off to retirement. she had retired at 67.
I wouldn't worry about a crowded room.