Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I knew this might happen. >

I knew this might happen.

I knew this might happen.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:50 AM

It sounds like your machine may be out of time.that has happened to me.I'm not sure how much it cost but I would think it would be under your warante,I would just contact the shop where you bought it and explain what happened the would help you out.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:50 AM

Needles often break in more that 2 pieces. Before I mess w/anything else I take off the plate and use a small magnet to see if there are any bits still in the lower part of my machine. Chances are you will be able to see them, but if not, try moving the circular part on the side of the machine that rotates moving the the internal mechanisms slowly and the needle up and down to see if you can tell where (if) it hangs up. the needle won't have to be in position to do this. If there is something hanging it up, the needle shouldn't make a difference. If you can't determine the cause of a "hang up", it's time for a mechanic.

Also, sometimes the needle holder gets moved out of position a bit and the needle isn't directed right into the hole, but hits the side causing it to break. Check to see if any of this is happening. I've found if I know what or where the problem is, I usually don't get stuck with quite as high a bill.

Best of luck with it!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:32 PM

Why don't you contact the Brother company and ask for technical assistance. Then you could investigate what the store where you bought it would suggest.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:05 PM

I had this same thing happen and the price was not terrible and mine is a computor embroidery machine. If you have several machine repair shops call to get a good price. WE all make mistakes. It is not the end of the world.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:13 PM

What did you use when you were trying to unscrew the plate over the feeddogs? A screwdriver won't do it, but your machine came with a litte round metal thing (like a thin nickle) that will. That's what this little round piece is for. Check through the accessory pack that came with your machine for this thing.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:33 PM

Have you gotten your machine running? Just was wondering what had happened. Hope you are happily sewing.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by MillieH
What did you use when you were trying to unscrew the plate over the feeddogs? A screwdriver won't do it, but your machine came with a litte round metal thing (like a thin nickle) that will. That's what this little round piece is for. Check through the accessory pack that came with your machine for this thing.

I found these awesome stubby little screwdrivers at Harbor Freight. They're less than 1.5" tall and are nice and wide at the handle, so you can actually grip and turn them. They came in a package of 2, one Phillips, one flathead. I think I paid all of $1.99 for them.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:10 PM

I have a Brother XR-9000. I broke a needle and part of it went straight down into the needle area. My husband took the cover plate off and turned the machine upside down. The broken needle part came out. I was in a panic at the time too, so know how you feel. I just love mine for piecing also. I also did as several other people mentioned here, I programed mine to ALWAYS start in the middle.

My needle threader broke after a year. I had it to a repair shop recently and they told me it would cost as much to fix it as get a new machine (Mine cost under $200 at Costco.) Maybe I'll check with another repair facility to verify the amount of the new threader.

Good luck!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:20 PM

My threader never works. Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I usually end up threading by hand!
Old 06-12-2011, 07:03 PM

I have a Brother 2800D and broke a needle or two like that. I now have mine set to start in the middle which is 3.5 width. Once mine fell down into the bobbin area but I was able to get it out. If you can't get it to work it may be worth a trip to the repair shop and see what they say.