Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Those with Fibromyalgia ,,,question >

Those with Fibromyalgia ,,,question

Those with Fibromyalgia ,,,question

Old 06-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

I've had FM for years, and I can really tell when the weather is gonna change! Also stress, and hot or cold bother me. When I get cold, I get stiff and achey, and a hot tub feels great! Or a hot shower. Fibro fog is horrible and unpredictable. I have sleep issues too. I do take a pain med, as well as a muscle relaxer. That helps me through the day. I do not take Celebrex, or Cymbalta as they do not work. I take magnesium, and Chondroitin/Glucosamine. They seem to help.
I have recently had some saliva tests done (for hormones, etc.) and got put on hormones and thyroid meds. Has made a big difference!! My flare-ups are less, and I sleep better too. Hope this helps! :)
Old 06-08-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Yes! I can tell when a storm front is moving in. Very painful!
I agree, can also find atmasferic changes get to me also.Haveing a terrible time with it, FIBRO FOG getting to me big time. :roll:
Old 06-08-2011, 04:25 PM

I am soooo amazed to hear that other folks have been suffering with this as long as I have. I was 1st diagnosed in the early 1980's and it was called Fibrositis----I too went from doc to doc and was told it was all in my head. It got soooo bad that I agreed "ok it's in my head, now fix it"---- I'm sure I have had this my whole life---As a child I had horrible leg aches that would keep me up most of the night. My parents were told it was growing pains but funny thing I guess I kept growing, only thing is I'm only 4'11 1/2", LOL

Don't give up if you are still searching for help----Things have moved forward for us soooo much in the last 5 yrs and I feel like it will be sooner not later that science will figure out what is going on with us.

Lastly, I've noticed a lot of mention regarding toxins and allergies---I do believe that we are more subject to these problems because of Fibro not the other way---I was diagnosed with Celiac 3 yrs ago which is an autoimmune condition. Since I have been on a gluten free diet and on the Cmybalta I have improved greatly---

My hope is too see this condition understood before I die---
Old 06-08-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
FMS is ffected by weather..i feel like heck this week..i am so sore. mind isn't working so good either..lost words,forgeting things..typical flair up.

am going to have to go see the Doc and get a shot this week.
i think it is called "terdol" anti imflamitory ..

my husband had an accident this week..so between that and the wether..i m in a flair..
Since I switched from Lyrica to Cymbalta my 'mind' problems (as watterstride put it) are much better. At one point on Lyrica everyone thought I was having a stroke: garbled words, slurred speech, etc. but it was the Lyrica. Also the neurolotist placed me on Vitamin D and B as I was 'extremely deficient' in both. Both effect the brain.

I do find that heat and especially humidity make it worse but frankly it's all I can do to keep working. I don't have health insurance (turns out you can't get private insurance if you have fibro -- turned down by everyone I applied with). I don't get sick days, personal days etc. DH had a disabling stroke in 2008 so I can't quit work. Fibro isn't a recognized 'disability' from a social security standpoint so basically, I'm in a no win situation with the fibro.

I have my computer remind me every hour to get up and walk while I'm at work so I don't stay in one position all the time which helps. My arthritis is also a lot worse when it's hot and humid. I actually do better in cold weather (Florida cold, that is-LOL).
Old 06-08-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by IBQLTN
Originally Posted by watterstide
FMS is ffected by weather..i feel like heck this week..i am so sore. mind isn't working so good either..lost words,forgeting things..typical flair up.

am going to have to go see the Doc and get a shot this week.
i think it is called "terdol" anti imflamitory ..

my husband had an accident this week..so between that and the wether..i m in a flair..
Since I switched from Lyrica to Cymbalta my 'mind' problems (as watterstride put it) are much better. At one point on Lyrica everyone thought I was having a stroke: garbled words, slurred speech, etc. but it was the Lyrica. Also the neurolotist placed me on Vitamin D and B as I was 'extremely deficient' in both. Both effect the brain.

I do find that heat and especially humidity make it worse but frankly it's all I can do to keep working. I don't have health insurance (turns out you can't get private insurance if you have fibro -- turned down by everyone I applied with). I don't get sick days, personal days etc. DH had a disabling stroke in 2008 so I can't quit work. Fibro isn't a recognized 'disability' from a social security standpoint so basically, I'm in a no win situation with the fibro.

I have my computer remind me every hour to get up and walk while I'm at work so I don't stay in one position all the time which helps. My arthritis is also a lot worse when it's hot and humid. I actually do better in cold weather (Florida cold, that is-LOL).
I was diagnosed in "95 with Fibro, severe arthritis, could not remember my name or how to write, had to have therapy for right arm, as it froze, needless to say, I did get turned down the first time, got a lawyer and I received my disablility, I havent worked since. You need to fight for disability, get a lawyer, and it doesnt cost you a thing, except at the end if you win, most lawyers get 3% of what you receive, off the top. You wont miss it, as they get it first. Dont give up, keep trying for disability. Good Luck!!
Linda King
Old 06-08-2011, 06:20 PM

In the summer, my fibro is managable, but in winter arthritis joins the party. Ouch! I have noticed that I hurt lots more when the barometer begins to fall.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:58 PM

like KristinaH I take Cymbalta. for years they told me it was all in my head. (it was) I had Arnold Chari and had surgery after they found that they said I also had Fibromyalgia and the only thing I have found to help is Cymbalta
Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by dar627742
Originally Posted by chairjogger
absolutely ! humidity the worst !

take care of yourself.. good food, rest, not over extending yourself.

you have things in life you have to do.. good luck honey in figuring out what makes you feel better.

Ell
i agree,humidity is a killer! hope we all make it thru this summer!!!!!!!
take care,
dar
Ditto...humidity is a definite trigger!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 PM

I have fibro too and when i have those times I can hardly move my DH just grabs his raincoat. he says i am more reliable than the weatherman. after reading this post I am wondering how to tell if the fibro fog is because of that or my stoke? there are days I just want to be quiet and not even try and speak or answer questions from anyone.the right words just don't come out. never thought about what you all call the fibro fog related to that. just thought I was losing it. thanks for the question and the informative answers.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:39 PM

I find weather changes impact my fibro. I also notice when I am running errands ...in and out of the heat and AC, that it just kills me. My personal thermostat seems to be broken and I just cannot acclimate to constant temperature changes...wish I knew the solution.