Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize! >

June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:56 PM

I went to WW last eve and was down 2.8# from the previous month, but can't really feel that excited abt it, because May's # were 2.8 up from the previous month. So, to make a long story short, I am exactly the same weight I was at at April's mtg. No real progress to report for June here as I have been down, up, down, and now up. Since one of the subjects lately as been on poop... I'll add my 2cents worth. My issue is IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)and it's the "D" version. If I eat something that doesn't agree with my stomach, in 5-15 minutes I am racing off to the bathroom. It usually isn't 1 trip, it's often 3 (give or take). Due to my disability, I cannot move very fast, it adds another whole set of challenges to the situation. There are certain things that I know are triggers and stay away from-such as greasy foods, cream sauces, oil based dressings, and anything with cream added to the ingredients. What I really don't understand is that sometimes I find a dish that seems to be safe-the first 5 times I have eaten it and then the 6th time there is a major problem. I have gotten to the point that I really don't care to eat out at restaurants (if I do go, I'll enjoy the visiting but get a box right away and take the food home and eat it there where my bathroom is close by and not occupied) and is getting to the same point for eating at someone's house. This happened just a wk ago at a friend's house-not only is it embarrassing and frustrating, but while I'm spending the evening in the bathroom, am missing out on everything else. I was po'ed abt the whole situation for 3 days. I started having this problem in my 30's and am now 57. Every social thing is centered around food too so am always on a quest of "getting through the event" unscathed. It amazes me that one can have these problems and still having to fight the battle of the bulge. Guess i am finding enough foods and snacks that don't have this effect and over indulge in them.
Rita's mom -I do give my condolences for your loss. It is very sad when drugs and alcohol shorten someones life. Seems like there is so much of that going on, and there is alot of 'experimenting' going on and they do not realize how dangerous it can be. I hope it was a wake up call for the others at that party.
I am tracking this week... Congrats to those going the right direction on the scales this month! and 'Yes, we can do it' to the rest of us (me included). I am needing and lovin' all the support and encouragement here and bless your hearts for sharing your stories, (I have nodded my head up and down in agreement many times while reading abt someone's experiences. I can relate..... thank you all!!
Old 06-09-2011, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rita's mom
Thanks Mary, it is so sad she was only 18 years old. She had been at a party and when everyone woke up that morning she was not breathing. They figured she had not been breathing for over an hour. They got her heart beat back and she was on life support for a while but the doctors said she was brain dead. It was a drug and alcohol overdose. So sad and such a waste. It is sad because 2 years ago my youngest daughters best friend died from a brain anyrism on her 19th birthday. We were all so close and our kids all grew up together going to all of the same rodeos and gymkhanas. To lose 2 out of the group at about the same age is just hard. She had kind of pulled away from the rodeo world and I knew she was kind of in the drinking and drug crowd but I sure wouldn't have thought this was going to happen. You always hope they will grow out of it. No matter how much your kids irritate you, hug them tight and be thankful you still have them. Life can change so fast.

Pam maybe you could dip your peppers in pizza sauce. I don't like peppers but it might taste a little like pizza! ;-)
Wow,at 18 their just adult enough to think they can handle "it".What a shame,I too am both sorry and sad she and her family and friends are now out a beautiful gifted young lady.Maybe they need to start the scared straight program again and have all school kids see the carnage that that stuff does.It kills,mames,and destroy's lives.Maybe a trip to the mourge would wake them up.I know in Kansas,the grandkids are there.Has a population of 550 I think.There is sooooooo many out of wedlock babies being born from young 16 yr olds,and is still going on.I told my hubby,don't they have ANYTHING else to do,besides scr#$?They should do both education on drugs and alcohol,and birth control or even abstance would be better yet.We've gotten away from even the aides prevention.Everybody is screwing everybody in their circle,then starting over seems like.I thank god I never did have to worry about that.As I was married when it 1st came out in the 80's I think.And so,never had to worry,but if I were single,my legs would be zipped shut,period.Not even worth playing russian roulet.We need to talk to our children and keep it REAL like we're doing here.Keep it real.They'll understand,Kids aren't stupid.But like losing weight,if their not showed or taught or given tools to do it with,they can't.Sorry for your loss.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:28 AM

Rita's Mom - So sorry for your loss and the families loss. My son got involved with drugs and alcohol when he was 14.It was three years of hell before he was finally placed in a juvenile correction facility where he stayed until he aged out of the system. We never really got over the damage that his use did to our family. It took him along time to get his act together and I'm not sure he totally has. We raised his first child until he was 10 yrs old because my son and his GF were still involved with drugs and couldn't take care of our DGS. GS went back to live with them when he was 11 to help raise the two younger kids they had by that time. Oldest GS is 21 yrs old now and back living with us. They kicked him out when he turned 18, said he was old enough to care for himself. Then 2 yrs ago son and his wife picked up and took the two youngest ones and moved to CA. They never asked the oldest if he wanted to go so he's here with us. We've only talked to the grandkids a couple of times and my son sent flowers on mother's day but we really don't have what you'd call a relationship. If kids only knew what drugs & alcohol did to them and their families I wonder if they would still use.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:02 AM

I am so sorry to hear of the young woman's death. So tragic and sad.

Journal today:
What is your favorite color? Why? Do you wear it a lot? Why or why not? Do you keep it around you?

Motivation:
Wear your favorite color today...see if it helps you to stay on track...sometimes a positive change is all we need to get back too work.

I'm having a lot of screwball stuff going on. I gained 14 pounds in the last 3 days. My oxygen level is down to 96. My heart rate keeps accelerating to 150+. I think it's time to call the doc and I don't want to. The freelancing work I've been doing? well, the boss has disappeared now that it is my payday...a month of work for free, and I was counting on the money to pay my bills.

Thanks for listening. Oh yeah, the poo discussion. My metformin makes me run to the bathroom, another not fun issue.

Missy-I am so proud of you! You have done what I have dreamed of doing, both the previous weight loss and the surgery. I also have a belly half way down my legs. And I constantly get yeast infections under the flap; I have prescription med for them, it's just another everyday thing.

Love ya'll
MJ
Old 06-09-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
I am so sorry to hear of the young woman's death. So tragic and sad.

Journal today:
What is your favorite color? Why? Do you wear it a lot? Why or why not? Do you keep it around you?

Motivation:
Wear your favorite color today...see if it helps you to stay on track...sometimes a positive change is all we need to get back too work.

I'm having a lot of screwball stuff going on. I gained 14 pounds in the last 3 days. My oxygen level is down to 96. My heart rate keeps accelerating to 150+. I think it's time to call the doc and I don't want to. The freelancing work I've been doing? well, the boss has disappeared now that it is my payday...a month of work for free, and I was counting on the money to pay my bills.

Thanks for listening. Oh yeah, the poo discussion. My metformin makes me run to the bathroom, another not fun issue.

Missy-I am so proud of you! You have done what I have dreamed of doing, both the previous weight loss and the surgery. I also have a belly half way down my legs. And I constantly get yeast infections under the flap; I have prescription med for them, it's just another everyday thing.

Love ya'll
MJ
Oh MJ! The infections are horrible! Soo painful! Yuck.

I sure love your posts! I do think it may be time to call the doc. Oh, and as far as the boss skipping out on paying you? That just stinks. Some people just do not understand that we count on that money. I am so sorry you are out that money.:(

Missy
Old 06-09-2011, 06:21 AM

Were it me,he wouldn't get away with it.He'd either pay me,or I'd sue him in court.I bet if an attorney sent him a letter,it might help.Are there any attorney's out here on the board>I'd be asking in the non quilting area.I bet some one would step up and go after them pro bono. for you MJ.I certainly would for a sister quilter.Also the state job thing should be able to do it.I was fired once for not showing up to work when a co worker quite,and at the LAST LAST minute the boss came after I'd worked my shifts all week,and didn't look for another cook even after one quite and told me I was "working the weekend shifts" the next morning.I told him "No,we've already made plans,and they can't be broken".So,I didn't go.He had all week to get a replacment,but was a drunk and never did it.So,I went to the unemployment office and got a "legal Aide" Attorney" cause he not only fired me for "no cause"but also would not pay me for my vacation time or any severance pay.I had coming.Well,the legal aide att.sued them,and the work board told me that If they didn't pay me, in 30 days,the would have to pay me 30 times my daily wages every day it was late and to be sure and tell them that in both writing and verbal.So anyway,I won,big time,and got my job back,an appology, and my $$.GO GET EM,don't LET them get away with "IT">They wouldn't me.I'm not one to mess with.You give me their # and I'll sure get all over their butt about not paying you.Legal Aid Att. are free too you know.Call the unemployment office too and tell them what the sob did,and see what they say.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:27 AM

MJ I agree with Missy, I think it is time to check with your doctor, if nothing else just for piece of mind. Please take care and I am sorry about the money. It seems like you can't trust anyone these days.

We had thunderstorms here last night and today it is cool and foggy. Kind of a nice change as I don't like the heat. It would be a perfect day to get some sewing done but we have the funeral this afternoon, and I'm sure hubby and the kids will be in and out all morning too. I am so behind on my Dear Jane blocks I am glad I don't get a grade for the class because I would flunk for not getting my homework done! lol

Thank you so much for all of your support about Taylor. It is a sad thing for sure.

Everyone have a good day and make good food choices today. We can do this.:)
Old 06-09-2011, 07:25 AM

Rita's mom it's so sad to lose them so foolishy and so young, sending you lots of hugs.

MJ was the work for those online sites you posted the other day? Contact your local district attorney, they may be able to help.

Since we have been discussing "bathroom issues", I'll just throw my 2 cents into the pot. As some of you may recall I have celiac disease and am on a gluten free diet. Although my symptoms were different, many people with this disease have the exact symptoms you are all mentioning. If you have an auto-immune disorder, you could possibly also have celiac. If you think it is at all possible, DON'T go on the diet without a blood test. If you go gluten free and the symptoms go away, you have to make yourself sick again or the blood test will be negative. Sometimes you have to have the medical diagnosis for insurance, or a child's school.
http://www.celiaccentral.org/Celiac-Disease/21/
Old 06-09-2011, 07:42 AM

Good morning everyone!
I am down 6 lbs as of this morning! Doing the happy dance. I haven't been able to walk for 3 days because of the heat. A cold front came in last night so today I can get back at it. I spent hours and hours reading through all of the postings here. Whew! Have a great day everyone.
Pam H
Old 06-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Rita's mom-I do understand. My son is now 38,when he was a young teen(14)his buddy Kirk was killed by his uncle.(shot to death)He killed the whole family also his own wife.He also had another friend Danny. He is in prison and has spent most of his adult life there. His other friend was Darell he overdosed on legal pain meds. The 4 of them were very close growing up. Small town only 750 now Sooo sad and senseless.Like you said hug and kiss them alot.Tell them you love them all the time.They could be gone the next second.My son wanted to spend the night at Kirks after fishing I said no,not on a school night. He would have been dead also. God was watching over him.God bless all of you and take care. Mary