Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
True cost of making a quilt, part 2 >

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

Old 06-02-2011, 07:04 PM

where do you buy batting for such a high price?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:50 PM

I have often thought of the fabric costs of making a quilt.
Thinking about a queen Size 90" x 90" quilt - that equals MIN. of 6-6.5 yards backing. At $9 per = $54-60

And probably 8-10 yards fabric for pieced top. At $9 per = $90. Add $25 to $30 batting, and whatever thread you use etc.

Absolutely min. for quilt shop fabric quilt at least $175.00 (cheap version)to over $250.00.

GULP!!! Ask why we should keep all of our scraps on hand? WOW
Julie
Old 06-02-2011, 07:51 PM

I have people who give me their scraps, so my scrap quilts are actually pretty much free. I do include a few of my scraps if I want and of course purchase the thread. Sometimes I use a sheet blanket for batting that I don't use on the beds any more and those are "free" because the only other thing I might do with them it donate them to a thrift store. I inherited a lot of fabric from my mom so that is free to me. I do purchase fabric if I see something I really want but don't feel like overall I spend a lot of money on quilting. Almost any hobby costs money so I don't lose any sleep over the cost. Sometimes someone in our quilt guild brings fabrics to give away to our guild meetings and I sometimes get some there as well. You don't really need to spend a lot of money to keep quilting.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:52 AM

I usually make queen size quilts unless I have a request for a king size one. I find the queen size more usuable for a spread on the full size beds or just right for the queen size beds. If I plan a two color quilt I usually allow 5 and half yards of each color to do this size. this costs me about 5.00 per yard now. As most places have gone up to 4.99 per yard. I use sheets for backing quite a bit. Sometimes I use muslin which I buy on a bolt. I do not buy the batting as I have my quilts finished by a pattern quilter witha long arm and she buys the batting in bulk and just adds it to the cost of the quilting. I am sure quilting varies in so many areas but the lady that does mine is very reasonable. I figure that a queen size quilt costs me about 120.00 without figuring in the labor at all. Anyone that thinks quilts are of little value should reconsider.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:06 AM

Wow! Where do you get fabric for $5 a yard? In the Chicagoland area, it's anywhere from $9-11 per yard - occasional sales, but not that often. If you have a secret online source, let us know!
If you charge $150 for the quilt, do you then have them pay the longarm quilter fee too?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by chicagoshar
Wow! Where do you get fabric for $5 a yard? In the Chicagoland area, it's anywhere from $9-11 per yard - occasional sales, but not that often. If you have a secret online source, let us know!
If you charge $150 for the quilt, do you then have them pay the longarm quilter fee too?
I have a long arm so I do my own quilting, huge savings for me.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:48 PM

We have several local stores that are still this reasonable per yard. I know we are fortunate. I have ordered some on line from Marshall Dry Good.com in Batesville Ark. that is where I got the bolts of muslin. I do pay my quilter for the extra for the batting and she is very reasonable I saw on this board that they figured their cost of fabric and multiplied by three for the price this was a very plain two color full size quilt and she charged me 25.00 for quilting so I will be OK on this one I have not sold very many at all and if I was selling regularly I would do more comparing and charge more. Noone could make quilts and sell them like this for a business.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by charismah
I think I want to go into denial. I don't want to keep track. :shock:
Ditto
Old 06-09-2011, 04:28 PM

You're absolutely right about selling quilts. I think we'd have to be in the quilt artist category to really be able to make some money on our quilts. I don't sell mine, either - just will do one occasionally for $$. Mostly I do them for gifts. It fills my soul to give that kind of gift!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Anyone want to comment with an estimate of how much you spend (not counting your labor) for various sizes of quilts you've made in 2010 or 2011?
In the other thread with this title, we discussed the cost of making a quilt, but no one answered this question--that I noticed.

What are you all really spending on a quilt? Can some of you share what you are spending..and if you pull the fabric from your stash, it doesn't count as "free"--it counts at the price that you paid for the yardage--unless it is truly a scrap quilt of from your used clothing that you were going to throw away.

I think it might be an interesting experiment if some of us would actually keep track of 1. money spent/invested, and 2. hours spent on some of our quilts this year and then compile the information.

Does anyone have this information from your own data...and once again, unless someone else GAVE you the fabric saying that fabric from your stash is "free" isn't playing fair--it's what you paid for the fabric when you put it there--not market value now. :)

It would be an interesting study.
I want to order Gutterman's thread 100% cotton: I just need to know approx. how much to order to "quilt" a Queen-size top. Thanks for you help