Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pet and Smoke Free Environment >

Pet and Smoke Free Environment

Pet and Smoke Free Environment

Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 AM

I am very allergic to cats- just being in a house with cats ( even if not in the same room) will make my throat close up. The dander is in the air, and will permeate the house to areas where the pet is not allowed. Letting the customer or recipient know is basic courtesy, and a serious matter as an emergency room visit is a real possibility if not disclosed.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:17 AM

We all are sensitive to smells, the worst is something that over whelms you in some way.
good or bad, smells affect us.

I have pets, inside and out. But I clean and vaccuum often, because I run my business in my home. We don't allow our pets in many areas, and not on furniture, they have their own bed to lay in. And I wash my dogs and their bedding often. Keeps the hair in control. (change my vac. bags a lot!)

If you send your quilts out, make sure they are pet hair free, as well as you can. Just like pretty much all smokers I know, they are respectful of me.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:20 AM

My son in law of many yrs can not come to my home as new hubby came with cat. He is so allergic he can not be in a house that other times had a cat. He did get to walk
thru the new house but after four min his throat was closing. This is a sad situation for me but I understand allergies can be deadly. Can not give them a quilt either.

Had a friend that used to throw out food made by her sister who smoked.I tasted her cake mix cake once and was shocked.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:23 AM

I have no pets,(not a cat lover)and neither my husband nor myself
smoke and it is not allowed in my home. I would wash my quilt before giving it to anyone simply because every household has it's own smell (good or bad) and it may be offensive to the buyer. (sorry I don't like cats-didn't mean to offend anyone!!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 AM

Sorry ladies but dogs smell and the smell is in everything. You have just stopped noticing it!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:54 PM

I love pets but I am allergic to both cats and dogs. I do quilting for other people and I do mention that the house is pet and smoke free. Manly because I have a bad issue with this. Years ago my husband smoked and now he even has a terrible time when he goes into someones house who smokes. I know that some of my friends get upset when I can not come to their house for very long because of their pets but the side effects are just not worth it. Unless you have a problem most people do not realize what you go through.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:18 PM

I design..teach..and sell..I'm also a smoker..smoking is done outside only..I wash all finished projects..if it's for sale..I keep it covered at all times..I have a dog that rules the house..lol..what I did..was took an old quilt..it's folded on sewing room floor..she comes in and lays right on it..doesn't bother a thing..I have never had a complaint !!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by My time
Sorry ladies but dogs smell and the smell is in everything. You have just stopped noticing it!
Sorry, but people have their own odors also.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by My time
If a dog has an odor chances are it is not properly taken care of and it is probably time to make a visit to the vet to find out what is wrong.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:45 PM

We don't smoke and don't allow it in our home. My DH gets migrains everytime he is around cigarette smoke. We also don't have pets. Our DD is allergic to anything with fur.
Someone mentioned heavy perfume ina previous post, I have to agree that heavy perfume is hard for me, too. It feels like I am choking sometimes when I'm around it. A little perfume is irritating but a lot is choking for me. We all realize that when we are in someone elses home, we have to tolerate these things, but in our own home we do not.