Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Sewing gadget >

New Sewing gadget

New Sewing gadget

Old 06-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

I can't believe all the nay sayers about this product. How many have actually used one? I can see a value to it once you get passed the HUH? first reaction. The price isn't jaw dropping, no cords, keeps pins in a non spill no tangle container and easy to use. I haven't seen it in person yet but I can see possibilities of this being something very useful to many. I'll certainly give it try.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:35 AM

Geez, what a waste. This thing has no redeeming value. I use the container my pins come in, keep them to my right when pinning fabric. When sewing, the container is flush against my machine (to the right) and as I sew I put the pins right back in the container.
Plastic, batteries, noise - is there anything environmentally friendly with this device?
Did I mention the cost of tylenol to get rid of the headaches from the clicking of those darn pins rolling around in the cement mixer
$20-30 to further pollute our planet - I think not.
Besides, think of all the sale fabric you can buy at Fabric.com or Connecting Threads for that money
Old 06-11-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
I don't see what the advantage is, but I do see some disadvantages. Besides the cost and size, it's noisy! You've got to use batteries, which aren't cheap and aren't good for the environment.

And what the heck do you do with the pins as you sew and remove them? Lay them on that oh-so-convenient paper funnel next to your already crowded workspace until you've got a pile of them and then load them back into the barrel?

Honestly, I am a gadget lover, sewing and in the kitchen. But I just don't see any positives for this thing.
I definitely agree! Love my pin cushions and they can move around with me and go to quilt classes and sew-alongs.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:51 AM

I think this is an unnecessary gadget, takes up too much space and I don't see where it is any easier than a pin cushion. Besides that, I like the look of my pins in my pin cushion.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:16 AM

These will be on clearance in a month or two. I wouldn't buy one if it was a dollar. This is ridiculous!
D in TX
Old 06-11-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
I don't see what the advantage is, but I do see some disadvantages. Besides the cost and size, it's noisy! You've got to use batteries, which aren't cheap and aren't good for the environment.

And what the heck do you do with the pins as you sew and remove them? Lay them on that oh-so-convenient paper funnel next to your already crowded workspace until you've got a pile of them and then load them back into the barrel?

Honestly, I am a gadget lover, sewing and in the kitchen. But I just don't see any positives for this thing.
Yeah, just what I was going to say. For me just one more thing to fool with. I really like my pincushions.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
That is seriously the dumbest gadget I've seen in a long time!
Agree!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:47 AM

Nope I won't buy one either, have several magnetic pin cushions and I'll stick to those.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:08 AM

Another gadget!!! Holding pins between my lips is a big no-no for me. Around 40 years ago, I had a friend who was holding a pen between her lips while she and her friends were signing a card which went with the flowers they were taking to a friend who was in the hospital. They went over a dip in the road as they were going into the parking lot, she gasped and down went the pin into her throat and on down, down, down. Fortunately, they were right at the hospital and they immediately exrayed her to see the location of the pin. It was very near where the stomach empties into the intestine. They went down with something like a magnet and brought that pin right back up. She was told it the pin would have entered the intestine they would have taken her into surgery immediately. Luckily the pin went down head first as she was told the pin point could have caused problems on the way down. I haven't put a pin in my mouth since then. You never know when you might quickly gasp such as before a sneeze, a cough, etc. She might have been told all this as part of the scare tactic but I'd rather play it safe!
Old 06-11-2011, 10:28 AM

Interesting but I agree it is big. And the pins have to have a large head on them. I can pick those up fine. Now the little silk/applique pins I could use something to spit them out. :-)