Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warning...don't organize your stash! >

Warning...don't organize your stash!

Warning...don't organize your stash!

Old 06-11-2011, 09:30 AM

One Halloween when I was working in a quilt shop I dressed as a quiltaholic. I had threads in my hair, orphan patches sewen on my pants and shirt. stips thrown over my shoulder, quilt block designs painted on my face and I made up little flyers to stick out of my pocket for "quiltaholics anomamous" (spelling, yikes). Can't remember what else. All of my customers understood but the little kids that came in wondered, "what is that?"

I sure can identify with everyone here. I am reorganizing my room. My DH can't understand why I am filling up my cabinet first (where I can see the cloth) vs the very nice drawers and storage he bought for me. I will used the storage for the kits, FQ's etc but the big nice pieces I want in the cabinet where I can open the door and see yards and yards all at one. AND I do mean yards and yards!

I have not ever had anyone important to me in prison but I have always thought it would be nice to send some of this left over stuff to a womens prison. I don't know why that sticks in my mind to want to do that other than I have heard some good stories about the female inmates getting a new lease on life with their quilting.

We are a funny group, aren't we, us quiltaholics!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:36 AM

I actually love all you gals and your stories about fabrics and quilting. I thought maybe I was the only one who was so badly organized!!!! I do love to shop in my stash before I get ready to do a project. Then of course, if I need more fabric I can go shopping in the quilt shops and not feel so guilty. Happy quilting everyone!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:46 AM

While I worked, I bought patterns, books and fabric so I would have it to do when retired and have lowered income for such. I now have SO MUCH I think it is impossible to organize, so I just have a great time sorting through it all when I need something. Just like Christmas!!! I find things I have forgotten about. I do now have a place to get it all organized, but sure would hate to lose that Christmasy feeling!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

Love your story and we're all there.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by stitchengramie
I keep my stash organize all the time. I keep all my dark, medium, and light color fabric in their own separate area. I even separate them according to their size (such as yardage size, fat quarter). Then I put a sticky note on each one to tell me how much I have of each fabric. I even do this with my scraps. Then they are separated by color. This makes it easier for me to fine what I am looking for. I use to work in the library when I was going to school. I guess it just a habit I have of keeping things organized.
I just can't understand how you do this. My leftover pcs. are such odd sizes & shapes they don't seem to fit into any category. I'm usually a very organized person, too, but can't seem to get my fabrics in any order. They are folded & lined up neatly but that's as far as I can get. I do find it fun to finger through in search of something though. Maybe you need to visit me. LOL
Old 06-11-2011, 10:07 AM

Oh my gosh, so many wonderful replies and comments. I have SO much fabric,like the rest of you. When my mom visited me this month, she went back to Iowa with a backpack full of charms, yards of fabric, jelly rolls, etc. I used to grab from her stash and now I can share my newly acquired stash with her. It's great fun. Let's just enjoy our stash and be grateful that we are lucky enough to have the money to quilt and bring happiness to others with our hobby. This is my thought to feel less guilty about having so much extra fabric. Also, I think ebay should be outlawed....I cannot stay off that site and that's where I have purchased many great deals...enough already. I have to control myself...well, maybe next year.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:08 AM

Man you guys have a lot of stuff I feel bad having enough fabric for 5 projects that haven't been started, let alone 14, where do you guys store it all. If I had that much I probably couldn't fit in my apartment LOL. I guess it will be good for when you guys retire. You will have enough to last you a lifetime of quilts. I'm sure if i had the room and funds I would be the same way. Me I have too many patterns and books and gadgets ( is there a group for that), I guess those are like the fabric to the fabriholics.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:15 AM

I will not buy fabric, I will not buy fabric, I will not buy fabric!

I am not a fabriholic...I can quit anytime....I will not buy fabric!
Yeah, what she said!! lol!!
Old 06-11-2011, 10:22 AM

I have been on this organizing journey since the first of the year and have found so many projects that all I have to do is start cutting and sewing. I'm really am trying to not buy more fabric. The one thing that is a thorn in my side is when JoAnn's has their 50% off their red tag fabrics and they've put some new quality quilting cottons in the pile. Finding one (or two) of those fabrics that I really love is my undoing everytime. I know, I know......don't go in the store, but I have to get my fabric fix when I go into town.....don't I!?!?!? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 06-11-2011, 10:41 AM

Should we start a Fabric Anonymous (FA) group? I started to organize my stash and found two projects. I scared to continue.