Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warning...don't organize your stash! >

Warning...don't organize your stash!

Warning...don't organize your stash!

Old 06-11-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by arkansasquilter123
Glad to know that I'm not the only one. However, I have a motto - If you see a fabric line you like/love, you'd better buy it.....it won't be around long and then you'll have to pay more for it later when it is "out of print". That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!!
AMEN!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:00 AM

Pineneedles4, you are not alone! I laughed when I read your message because two months ago I was organizing my stash (after reading about others doing so on this board) when I found a complete kit that I had purchased at least three or four years ago. I knew what pattern it was for although I don't remember buying it. This past September on a trip to Branson, Mo I bought the entire kit in another color. So I have two kits exactly the same except for color. I couldn't believe I did that! I will use both fabric sets, but I only want to make one quilt of that pattern so the extra will go into another quilt. I felt like such a dummy!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:02 AM

Yes!!!!!!!!!!! I am in favor of a Fabrics Anonymous group!
We can confess to each other how we are doing with our addiction (positives and negatives) and keep struggling with finishing those long ago begun UFOs.

Kyrose, are you willing to be the coordinator?
Old 06-11-2011, 11:27 AM

This is so true, I organized mine too with the same results. LOL I had 19 pieces of fabric big enough to use as backing. Now how in the world am I going to finish up 19 quilts? Big ones too. Isn't it fun though
Old 06-11-2011, 11:57 AM

Hello Vanessa!!

Good luck with your plan!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:57 AM

So...did you go shopping after posting this? LOL... I'm in same situation!
Marge

Originally Posted by pineneedles4
I give you this warning as a friend...Don't Organize your Stash! It might make you feel guilty. I decided yesterday to organize my stash. I wanted to put all of the batiks together, the cottons together and fabric for sewing clothes together. Well, while in the process of sorting...I kept coming across bags that held complete quilt kits or fabric for quilts with the pattern that I had picked out. I found 16 different quilt kits plus two quilt tops! (I'm going to take a wild guess that I MUST enjoy the planning process more than the actual sewing process...or at least this is what the evidence is pointing to...but I LOVE the sewing process...could it be that I just LOVE it all a little too much?) These are complete, ready to make with the patterns and most of them even had the quilt backing with them! Four were cut out and three were partially sewn! I also found the pattern and fabric for a new apron, the pattern and fabric for a bow-tuck purse, and the fabric for three different table toppers! So....I am banning myself from the fabric/quilt shops until I have completed at least half of these items!

I will not buy fabric, I will not buy fabric, I will not buy fabric!

I am not a fabriholic...I can quit anytime....I will not buy fabric!

Vanessa in Oklahoma
Old 06-11-2011, 12:04 PM

I received $110 in Joann gift cards for my BD! Oh, what to do!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:06 PM

Just wondering did you start doing this from the beginning ? I thought it was a wonderful idea so you would know what and how much fabric you have. So I started putting the post a notes with the amount of fabric.
My problem is that I just started doing this and it is a bit over whelming. I started with the last fabric purchase of 80 yards that I haven't gotten to washing,ironing,folding on boards and measuring. But it seems very overwhelming to get the rest of my stash done this way. But I'm going to work at it bin at a time.
Thanks for the encouragement. and idea.
kjym Kathy
Old 06-11-2011, 12:18 PM

I tried, I promised my hubby "no new fabric this year", I tried, I really, really did....Didn't work for me either!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:50 PM

I have to bookmark this thread so that when I'm sure I have gone over the rainbow buying fabric, I can read this and know that I'm not insane :)