Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The joys of sewing with MS..... >

The joys of sewing with MS.....

The joys of sewing with MS.....

Old 06-11-2011, 07:07 PM

I wonder how many there are of us quilters with MS. We should have our oiwn club.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:37 PM

I too, have MS and am no stranger to the challenges that we face on a daily basis to do even the most essential things. Would it help you any to relocate your foot pedal so that the side of your knee pushes the pedal instead? Some of us MS'ers even put the pedal on our table and use a hand to press it.

Another possible option that is only available on some sewing machines is to use the "Start" and "Stop" button which makes the machine sew and stop without the use of a foot pedal. I tried this out, and decided it was pretty handy for the longer seams, but not so much for the shorter ones or where my precision is required.

Heat affects most of us with MS to some degree or another, to the point of making some activities very difficult to do due to loss of coordination, problems with vision, even mental acuity. If you are bothered by the heat, you might try any of a variety of things to make your sewing time more enjoyable. I use a fan in my room when I'm too warm. I also keep ice water or iced tea nearby and drink often to help keep my core temp as low as possible.

There are also those "cool collars" and even the vests that use special ice packs in them that really work to keep your core body temp down. Sometimes, I have to wait to sew til the evening when it is much cooler.

You probably know too, that having an iron on heats up the sewing space significantly, as do many household light fixtures. I use my Ott-Lites to help cut down on the heat and to give me better light to see by.

Anything you can do to minimize how the heat affects you should help. Hope you've found some of these suggestions helpful.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:57 PM

I also have MS and for the most part I'm doing well considering. As long as I'm in remission I do fine but when I have episodes life is a bit rough.

What I get most stressed out when I have an episode is having very little mobility from the waist and in my legs.

I can so relate to this and gave me a great chuckle.

Fortunately the sewing/quilting machine I use I don't have to use the foot pedal and just push the button to get it going.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by dixiebelle162002
I have MS too and sometimes laughter is the best medicine.
I totally agree with this!
Old 06-11-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Homemother
LOL! You sound so much like my younger sister who has breast cancer. She doesn't dwell on what she can't do, she focuses on what she can do and keeps us in stitches all the way! :thumbup:

I agree! Folks say I keep them in stitches as well and many find it hard to believe I have MS because of my spirit and attitude.

My oldest sister laughs at me when I have an episode and I tell her that the Lord and I are on an adventure.

There is no need to dwell on what we can't do. I know my limitations and I just work around it.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:25 PM

I also have MS so I can relate to all the stories!

Happy quilting to all of you and may you have more better days than not ♥
Old 06-11-2011, 09:29 PM

You are giving us a laugh, I hope you have more better days than not.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:04 PM

Thank you!!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:35 PM

I have neuropathy in my legs/feet, so I can relate. I've stepped on my dog, a Catahoula who loves to park under the computer desk when I'm on line - OK for him to nap there if he were a fox terrior or poodle, but he is a 75 lb. baby!
Old 06-12-2011, 07:14 AM

I'm sorry for your MS, but it seems you have a can do attitude and now your dog knows it too.