Help Please! Can I glue a quilt?

Help Please! Can I glue a quilt?

Old 06-12-2011, 03:35 PM

perhaps add a ladybug or bumble bee and hand tack with invisible thread
Originally Posted by pamesue
can you a another applique piece??
Old 06-12-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by amazon
Try this stitch, I recently used it on seam on a quilt that was coming loose. http://quilttaffy.blogspot.com/2008/...-tutorial.html about 1/8 of the way down, She uses it to sew up stuffed animals, but it worked on my loose seams quite well and it is truly invisible!. Good luck. :D
I have used this method very successfully to make repairs in quilts and clothes.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Liz aka Helen
What about Stitch-Witchery an iron on adhesive that you can tuck under then iron. Or can you do hand work and slip stitch it
The stitch witchery really works! and it stays soft through many washings and over many years!
Remember to use a wet paper towel or cloth to steam it in.
and don't move it until it is cool.

The slip stitch is the same as the ladder stitch and the invisible stitch. It works the best of all!
J
Old 06-12-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
You've got a beautiful quilt there. Everyone else has given you all the suggestions I would reccommend. so, I'll just tell you how pretty it is.
Thank you!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
This topic (seam coming undone) has been coming up fairly often. I've had it happen to me, and it wasn't because of too little seam allowance - I think maybe the stitches at the end of the block didn't hold. Perhaps the block was handled too much? I think I better start checking all my seams while pressing, or at least before I start quilting. I've also run into the problem when longarming charity quilts from guild members. So... you're not alone! If you can work an applique over the seam, that would be a wonderful solution. Otherwise, careful stitching, fusible on the back... whatever works. Take the time to undo quilting if you really need to. Your quilt is very pretty and extra effort spent now will be worth it in the long run. Good luck.
I think I DID leave too little seam allowance. Looks like 1/8th". This is the quilt where I was complaining that the book did not explain what size each pieced section should be, so I ended up splicing extra fabric into some sections to make it fit. I probably thought that section would fit, and thought I had caught enough of the fabric.

It has also been handled too much. I kind of have been tossing it around a lot while quilting it, and shoving it into my little machine -- but I want it to fall apart on me and not the receiver, so it's good I found that seam coming apart.

I like the Dritz Stitch idea, and will have to decide whether to quilt over it with invisible thread or quilt much of the blue -- which was not my intention.

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by CAS49OR
I pieced together a quilt, and noticed a seam is coming apart in the middle of it! I glued it, thinking it was only an inch and now find it's continuing to come apart, about 10" worth.

It will be really hard to take it apart to re-sew it at this point as I've quilted over about 1/2 of the quilt.

I'm wondering, is there a glue that will stay soft and flexible I could use? The part I glued is hard and stiff, and not appropriate for a lap quilt.

Do you have any other ideas? I've thought of sewing over it with invisible thread. I can't really quilt in that spot without ruining the design.

I've thought of a patch of a caterpillar or spiderweb or something.

It's important it looks nice because I am making it for someone else.
Can you slide a matching color scrap under the seam then carefully use invisible thread?

Whatever you do, please let us see the whole quilt when done. It looks darling.
I can add matching fabric under the seam and sew over it with invisible thread.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
I would use stitch witchery & than slip stitch it, to make sure it doesn't unravel anymore.
I think this idea will work the best. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2011, 05:02 AM

While hand quilting a queen size for my DD, I noticed that the backing had RIPPED. After a few days of tears, I decied to try Stitch Witchery. I also used a little Elmer's until I could iron the strip (about eight inches long). It saved the day and my daughter has washed the quilt several times, and it has held up well. Good luck. I feel your pain.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:52 AM

a fusible would work, or just whip stitch it so the stitch is hidden. I do this all the time with circles.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:52 PM

I'm not sure what fusible web and fusible thread are?