Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
AOTH question >

AOTH question

AOTH question

Old 06-13-2011, 11:24 AM

I bought my light box at AC Moore's about 10 yrs ago for about $20, if you don't have access to that store do you have Michaels they have them and usually accept JoAnn's coupons. They are definitely less expensive than JoAnn's.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:44 AM

Go to Home Depot, purchase a piece of Plexiglass ($3.99) get a tap light, and put it in some type of pan. Turn on the light, cover with the plexiglass and there you go. Compliments of Sew Many Ways.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
Not sure what AOTH means, but for a light box some have said to put up your computer or tv on a blue or white screen and use the light from that. If you have a glass table you could put a light under it and use that as well. If it's a sunny day you could go outside and be a bit creative - a shed window, garage door, or house window from the outside in.
I once sat in the car, and used the window. We are nothing if not creative.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
I have all of my supplies except, I don't have a light box. How much easier is it going to be if I purchase one. I can get a really nice one 1/2 off at Joanne's. It is still rather pricy and I would rather put that money toward an embroidery machine.
I don't have sunny windows. Our house is very shaded.
Thanks for any help.
If you can find an old computer scanner--the little flat ones that didn't do anything but scan--somewhere, take it apart and get its insides out. Then Velcro a flourescent light bulb into it and voila! you've got a great scanner for less than $10. It will proably take less than an hour to create it. I made one from a scanner that a friend gave me and I like it better than the commercially made one I also have. froggyintexas
Old 06-13-2011, 01:16 PM

I don't have a light box and needed to do some tracing once. It was winter and kind of dark outside, so holding it up to the window wasn't working, but I really wanted to get started on my new project. So I just put a lamp outside my window, came inside, and did my tracing. It worked great!
Old 06-13-2011, 02:06 PM

Lots of good ideas here, and multiple ways to make a light box. When I need one, I know what I can do. This board is wonderful!
Old 06-13-2011, 02:15 PM

There are other options- can use a window- a blue tv screen. a glass dish over a flash light, a storm window over a lamp on chairs- I've tried all of them whether transfering a patten or a rough draft of an illustration- depending on you size need and how much you want to set up is how I decide what I am willing to get out. I have a very nice light box hand made by my father years ago but for the life of me I can't locate it. Other options are a glass coffee table or check the toy department they may have something at a much lesser price
Old 06-13-2011, 02:25 PM

I'm right there with ya' NYCQUILTER. Especially now that fabric is $11.50/yard. Yikes!!!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:02 PM

I have a professional light box....my cutting board is used on it, blocking out the light. Rarely do I need the light box as I did when working in calligraphy and graphic arts. But then I am not paper piecing at this time.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:23 PM

I still haven't decided. So many good ideas. I forgot about Michaels and I have a nice gift card. Hummmm. I knew I would get some great answers. Just didn't know I would get so many. THANKS!