Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What type of iron so you use? >

What type of iron so you use?

What type of iron so you use?

Old 06-13-2011, 06:36 PM

I've returned the Rowenta & got the Black & Decker. Immediate difference in the temperature for cotton. The Rowenta couldn't get the wrinkles out of a shirt. The B&D does, no problem. I saved $16 (Macy's had a 'good sale' on Rowentas but I made the mistake of using my 'birthday' $10 gift they'd sent me. If you return an item you used a gift/discount card on, unless you buy the same brand over again, you lose the ability to use your 'gift card' again.) Geez! It would've been a $26 savings if their 'birthday gift' remained valid.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:47 PM

Hi I just bought an Olsio (sp?) from Ebay and I love it. It is not the newest canary yellow that we saw at Paducah - it is last years model and blue but I really like it. I always use bottled water from a dollar store - don't have any problems with leaking. Good luck - I press everything so irons are a big thing to me.
Linda
Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 PM

I had a Black and Decker that lasted forever, until I dropped it and broke it to "smitherenes." so I decided to "invest" in a Rowenta -- bad move!! Next one (the one I use now, is a Sunbeam and I love it -- so far, no leaks. BUT I did buy an iron (under ten dollars) that I have not and never will put any water in it. I use that one in the sewing room.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:53 PM

I, too, have that cheap ($25) little JoAnns iron - it's perfect for setting on my mini ironing board right next to my sewing table. You grasp the rounded handle on top and it's just the best! I actually got 40% off with a coupon when I bought mine a couple of years ago. Treat yourself!!
Originally Posted by dltaylor
I use a cheap little mini iron from JoAnn fabrics. Love it!! Never a problem with it, if I have something larger to press I just use the regular large iron. But I find my mini does the job most of the time.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by muskratwine
I gave up on steam irons and got a dry iron. Love it!! When I need steam, just spritz a little water from a spray bottle. My first dry iron was my mom's and everytime I used it I thought of the thousands of my dad's shirts she ironed with it!! And how many of my blouses I ironed. Glad I don't iron clothes anymore. Funny how we'll gripe about ironing a shirt but no problem tackling 6 yards of fabric!! LOL!! Try a dry iron and you'll never go back to a steam iron.
I just found out about these dry irons and ordered one. Sounds perfect for quilting and sewing fine fabrics when you don't want gunked up stem holes. Also looks like no auto-shut off. I hate going back to the iron and it is cooling down.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The Rowentas are made in China now. The older ones Were made in Germany.
Well, that must be why I have never had any trouble with
my Rowenta, its old....have a Sunbeam from Costco and its
great too.....
Old 06-13-2011, 07:46 PM

I have an Oliso 1100 and I LOVE it!! I have had it a few months now. It steams beautifully and gets nice and hot. It has an extra long pivoting cord so you can maneuver it much easier. It did take a little getting used to not picking it up and setting vertically as with the Oliso iron any time you touch the handle it goes down and when you let go it lifts up off the fabric but stays horizontal. But you can de-activate this feature if you don't like it. It shuts off automatically after 8 minutes and heats up when you touch the handle in less than 90 seconds. The plate of the iron cleans very easily from any fusible webbing build up. I have gone through many cheap irons that leak and spew black gunk from the steam holes. I got fed up and finally bought this one and I am very very happy with it!!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:50 PM

Happy Birthday! I have a Rowenta also. It doesn't leak but it doesn't produce steam unless I press the burst of steam button. Very disappointing!! I certainly don't have any suggestions, Good Luck!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:57 PM

I have a Euro Steam. iron. It is in for repairs at the moment. Partially my fault. The water needs to be drained if you are not going to use it, as the tank is aluminum and the water will eat it out. Also the new instruction manual says to use tap water, not distilled water. I really love the iron and can't wait to get it back. Nice steam and it steams all the way through so less or not ironing on the back side. I have left it sit flat on the ironing board and it will not burn.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by quilter68
My only problem with any iron is that the steam holes stick on the edge of blocks. I am looking for a "completely dry" iron. One that does not give steam at all. So the blocks do not bunch up. Any ideas, please?
Quilter68
I got a classic GE full size iron with no holes, & no steam @ a thrift store for $5, you may find one at a yard sale as well. They get very hot though (like all the old ones did), so watch those settings.