Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What causes birds nests on quilt back? (picture included) >

What causes birds nests on quilt back? (picture included)

What causes birds nests on quilt back? (picture included)

Old 06-13-2011, 06:50 PM

I would suggest calling the sewing machine dealer and asking them - I know I have had problems like yours and I was ready to give the machine away (it was brand new) - I bet they will have some idea and then you can fall in love with your machine again.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:25 PM

If this is at the beginning of your stitching, pull the bobbin thread up to the top. If it's in the middle, you might be changing directions a little too fast and causing backlash in the bobbin. Bobbin Genies help a lot with backlash.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:59 PM

I agree with trying a Bobbin Genie, available from Clotilde or Nancy's Notions I think.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:57 PM

Could the problem possible be the thread? Using a (50) heavy weight(the purple Mettler writhing on spool) with the 90/14 needle when sewing the sandwich pieces.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:20 AM

Just check that this isn't caused by your thread snagging on the spool whilst you are sewing. Some of the spools are a bit rough or have a little bit of plastic sticking out at the edge of the spool and although it is easy to not notice it, I find that my cottons snag on it, so I have a little file that I smooth the rough bits off with. Then I haven't had this happen. All the best.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:35 AM

I have the Bernina 440QE with the stitch regulator and it has wonderful stitching I pull the bobbin thread to the top and so far works great but I have not tried quilting with te King Tut thread
Old 06-14-2011, 03:39 AM

I have the Bernina 440 QE also and it quilts beautifully with the BSR. My problem(s) are my Viking Mega-Quilter on the Grace frame is bird nesting all over the place and I am so frustrated I need to calm down before I try it again. Also I can't wind the the Bottom Line thread on the Berninia. Can anyone enlighten me about winding Bottom Line????? Thanks, in advance : :shock:
Old 06-14-2011, 03:45 AM

It this only happens when you begin to stitch, then hold the top and bottom threads until you stitch an inch or so. Or use a piece of scrap fabric to run through first and immediately line up your quilting piece, without cutting the thread, and stitch away.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:47 AM
Power Poster

Have you tried contacting the company? If the dealer is not being responsive to your needs, I think the company would wants to be aware of the problem.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:47 AM

I'm wondering if it's the top thread getting caught on something and tugging - then letting go. If you can hear it happen, it is probably something like that.
If possible, have your DH stand and watch your thread path and see if he can spot what it going on. Either that, of put a quilt sandwich together and just quilt while watching the top thread. You just may find that it catches on the spool or something else.