Anyone have an add a 1/4 inch ruler? >

Anyone have an add a 1/4 inch ruler?

Anyone have an add a 1/4 inch ruler?

Old 06-14-2011, 02:28 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by cabinfever
Originally Posted by Deborahlees
I also have a die for this....crazy thing looks like a little brass washer with a small hole in the center. You place it on the perimeter of your pattern that you need to add a quarter inch to and then put the tip of your pencil in the hole and guide it around the sides of your pattern and it adds the 1/4", good for cicles and such.
Can you post a picture of link to this device?
Wow, it took me forever to find a picture of this thing. I knew what it was (I have one) but I didn't know the "official" name. I found it through a link to a DearJane page on someone's blog. :roll:

The Quilter's Seam Allowance Disk (or Quilters Wonder Wheel - even this page has two names).
It's by Collins, and I know I've seen it at Joann's. WalMart would also probably sell it.

http://www.dritz.com/brands/showcase...p?ITEM_NUM=C94

It, too, is a neat little notion, but it is not what was listed on the OP's class supply list.

And I see they've included the bar code so if you have to search it out in a store (that's computerized), it would be much easier. Very cool.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:34 AM

Yes I have one and use it quite frequently when I am paper piecing. It is really a great tool to use and if you are going to do paper piecing it is something that you would deffently use quite frequently. It is only probably only about 5 inches long, yellow and has a 1/4 inch lip on one edge that you place on the edge of your paper piecing that you need to get to a 1/4inch seam to sew your next seam. I would deffently recommend it and it is pretty cheap in the realm of things. Our LQS has it at 6 dollars I do believe. You may be able to get it at JoAnns also, but am not really sure. Hope this helps, Jennifer
Old 06-14-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by cabinfever
Originally Posted by Deborahlees
I also have a die for this....crazy thing looks like a little brass washer with a small hole in the center. You place it on the perimeter of your pattern that you need to add a quarter inch to and then put the tip of your pencil in the hole and guide it around the sides of your pattern and it adds the 1/4", good for cicles and such.
Can you post a picture of link to this device?
Wow, it took me forever to find a picture of this thing. I knew what it was (I have one) but I didn't know the "official" name. I found it through a link to a DearJane page on someone's blog. :roll:

The Quilter's Seam Allowance Disk (or Quilters Wonder Wheel - even this page has two names).
It's by Collins, and I know I've seen it at Joann's. WalMart would also probably sell it.

http://www.dritz.com/brands/showcase...p?ITEM_NUM=C94

It, too, is a neat little notion, but it is not what was listed on the OP's class supply list.

And I see they've included the bar code so if you have to search it out in a store (that's computerized), it would be much easier. Very cool.
Wo, that is interesting looks like it would come in handy when making your own patterns!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
It's for a paper piecing class, right?

Here's a picture:
http://www.buy.com/prod/add-a-quarte...217369647.html

It also comes in a 6 inch length, which might be easier to deal with depending on the blocks you're making.

It's a fabulous little notion to have, and I use it ALL the time when I'm paper piecing.

I have one also and love using it when I paper piece. It really seems to make the process much easier. I would encourage you to get one.

You can pp without it, but if your teacher is going to be using it in class for a new technique (to you), you're probably better off having it. I'm sure the shop sells it.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:39 AM

I have 3 "Add-a. . ." (I say this because there's an add-a-quarter and add-an-eighth, plus two length sizes). If you are paper-piecing, it sure makes it easier than using an index card or an old credit card. The lady who came up with this special ruler, Carolyn McCormick, came to our little town (pop.1200, if that)to teach us a class (it helps that her friend was originally from our town.) She explained how she came up with this ruler and the tedious process of getting someone to manufacture it. She ran a good class, we all enjoyed her and learned a lot. That evening she had a trunk show. Her miniatures were amazing.
I would recommend her if you need a program and lesson.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:37 PM

Yes, I have all of them! They are great for paper piecing. I'm sure the instructor on your class will teach the "Carol Doak" type of paper piecing which uses a piece of cardboard (or a playing card if your paper piecing is small), and the "add a quarter" ruler. It makes paper piecing really easy!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:46 PM

I have a really nice metal ruler with 1/4 inch markings on it. I use it all the time
I actually have been thinking about buying an actual 1/4 ruler. I think I would be easier to use.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:17 AM

I have both of them, 1/4 and 1/8 makes it easy to use and makes your project so neat looking. I don't do a lot of pp just because I don't like the mess of the paper. other than that they are great tools to have!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:50 AM

It is generally used for paper piecing. I have one and I love it! The 1/4" portion of the ruler is deeper than the rest of the ruler, so it can be placed at the edge of the paper piecing to cut off the excess. Any ruler will work, this one just makes it much easier.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
It's for a paper piecing class, right?

Here's a picture:
http://www.buy.com/prod/add-a-quarte...217369647.html

It also comes in a 6 inch length, which might be easier to deal with depending on the blocks you're making.

It's a fabulous little notion to have, and I use it ALL the time when I'm paper piecing.

You can pp without it, but if your teacher is going to be using it in class for a new technique (to you), you're probably better off having it. I'm sure the shop sells it.
Thanks MTS for the website link. Sorry but I can't really see the ruler itself; it is encased in a yellow pkg. Can you post an actual ruler picture? ;)