Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with finished quilts? >

What do you do with finished quilts?

What do you do with finished quilts?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:35 AM

if it isn't one I make for someone specific, it goes into my own stash of quilts. someday I will present them to my kids just to downsize. They all have quilts from me so I'll keep them till I feel I must give them away.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:47 AM

I have yet to make one "just because". I always have someone in mind for a gift. But maybe one day, I will have the privilege of making one "just because"--and I think I would hang it up in my little sewing area!!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:30 AM

I've recently made 3 quilts for the citizensam.org organization, for wounded veterans needing extra warmth as they are being transported in cargo planes. Other than that, our church quilters make baby/children's quilts for Ronald McDonald House and quilt guild makes baby quilts for charity, plus lap robes for rest homes. Also, a couple of organizations have annual auctions, so with a few gifts tossed in, mine are never orphans.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:51 AM

I so agree with you that giving a quilt to someoneyou know is having a bad day or bad times is very rerwarding. I can do quilts for charities but I love to see the look in someone eyes that has little and really trteasures our quilts. I want to find out from th cancer center if I can bring some to the chemo treatment areas where someone may feel cold or chilled. Since I have been treated, I know what it is like to sit for several hours getting the chemo. Most anything would have been appreciated to break the monotamy of the treatment. Mary

Originally Posted by MYWR
put them over the couch, or at the end of a bed. One of the best thing I ever did - was send a quilt with no home - that I really liked to a friend of mine who i hadn't seen for a while. . . just becasue. she called and was crying - she is a single mom - and said this was the first thing she had ever gotten that didn't show up on a creidt card bill - It was a different type of feling - not like when you make something for charity and give it to someone who you don't know. This wil be a cherished memory for both of us. And - . . . I just did it !
Old 06-14-2011, 10:57 AM

My quilting group makes them to give to any person, young or old, who may be in need of being wrapped in love due to some physical or emotional upheaval or just stressful period in their lives.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:57 AM

Don't forget the hurricane victims...they could use the comfort of a quilt right now!
Old 06-14-2011, 01:08 PM

Well, usually one of my family members sees it and starts thowing hints...lol, so I give a lot to them. My hairdresser asked to see some the last time I went in, and she ended up buying 2 of them.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:12 PM

Why, you send them to me!!!!! I'll give you my address and pay the postage!

:mrgreen:
Old 06-14-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by BeckyL
good question, some I give as gifts, some to charity, some I hoard because I'm just not ready to part with them. They are somewhat like my "children". I have to let them get old enough to move away from home. lol
I know exactly how you feel about hoarding them. It is so hard to give some of them up!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:12 PM

In our area, when some quilts are available, the police carry one or two in the trunks of their cars to wrap children caught in emergency situations. Makes us happy to donate. c.

FREE Quilting Newsletter