Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-14-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Anyone in the SF Bay Area looking for a free Singer 15-90- and stool? That Singer 15-90 can be used in treadle, and you don't need to change the wheel to a spoke wheel.

I find this post amusing. Anyhow, it will all be free by end of week.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2439924460.html
You've got to be kidding! If they just want the cabinet for a table then leave the machine in the down position & the toddler can't pull anything down. Some people! No logic at all.
Yeah, That is what I thought too. Sad isn't it. Well, someone can benefit from this and come out with a free machine and possible stool.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Janice,

Just take the motor off the machine. Yes, you can cut the wooden top for the machine to rest on. You just need a lip or ledge for the machine head to rest on. If the table top isn't large enough for your liking then get another piece of wood to make the cut for the machine head to sit on.

Here is a link to Damascus Annie's photos of what she has done with machines. Some have a hole for the belt and others not, just look at the photos.

[url=http://www.antiquequiltdating.com/non-electric_sewmachine.html
http://www.antiquequiltdating.com/non-electric_sewmachine.html[/url]
Vintage, thanks for this link. don't you love that table with 5 heads mounted above bases? Wow!! Anyway, looks like an easy do. I found irons with a wooden flat small table top on them, and I can easily add another piece of wood on top to make it bigger, and have DH router holes for the head to sit on and the belt to travel through. Cool!! Thanks again!!
Old 06-14-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Well we must have rocks in our heads because DH and I have bought 9 machines in the last 3 weeks. Some are treadle and some are electric 15s. We bought a Elna, 15 clone called precision sewing machine,Singer 99 w/cabinet,Standard w/cabinet,White FW,Singer 301 black short bed,Singer Sphinx dated 1911 treadle,Another clone Belair,White clone but can't find a name on it and made of Alum. so it is really light weight. I don't have a pic of all of them yet. But here is a pic of the Sphinx we got today paid way too much for it $3.00 yep 3.00 and it sews great. Man said it was in a parlor cabinet and he let it get rained on and it fell apart so he burned it. But we are going to get the irons that goes with it. I looked up the ser# and Singer listing said it is a l5 which it is not. Here's the number see what you come up with. G9450896.
Trish, I think you left a digit out when you looked up the serial number, your number is in the millions and Singer lists that machine as a 127 (which it is) from May 31, 1922, made in St. Jean, Quebec.

Wow, are you going to keep all those machines? Nine machines in 3 weeks is pretty impressive!

Nancy
Old 06-14-2011, 03:37 PM

Hey Glenn--Here is my next machine with the wheel soaking in Evaporust. I can't get the wheel off, so I had to try to derust it this way. She is propped on her side with the wheel in pyrex pie pan. In the morning--no more rust.

Texas Jan

She is an old New Home Ruby. I got her and her treadle cabinet for $5.00. I call her my $5.00 folley. Really sad, but getting there. I also redo cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-211578.jpe
Views:	402
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	211584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-211579.jpe
Views:	416
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	211585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-211580.jpe
Views:	506
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	211586  
Old 06-14-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Does anyone recognize this machine? I am not a fan of the "Martha Washington" cabinets.

I just am not familiar with this machine.

Thanks,
Lisa

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/atq/2438902769.html
Lisa, that is an interesting looking machine for sure. I have never seen one like it before. I haven't seen that style cabinet before either!

Nancy
Old 06-14-2011, 04:38 PM

Nancy, That's what I like about this shop. I re-looked the number of the sphinx and I was looking at the wrong set of numbers. Re-looked and then counted out the digits and you are right. About so many machines we will refinish the cabinets and clean and oil the machines for resale. DH just built a big shop to work in. We do have way too many. I think I could sew on a different machine every day for a month and still have a few left. Our 2 GD have claimed a machine each. Our GS likes to use a HC so he has his own machine.
Most of the 15 clones we will resell as we have several in different colors but no red (yet). Have a 301 we may sell.
DH is turning a 306 and a FW into a HC.
BTW your Hubby did a beautiful job on the Davis cabinet.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Hey Glenn--Here is my next machine with the wheel soaking in Evaporust. I can't get the wheel off, so I had to try to derust it this way. She is propped on her side with the wheel in pyrex pie pan. In the morning--no more rust.

Texas Jan

She is an old New Home Ruby. I got her and her treadle cabinet for $5.00. I call her my $5.00 folley. Really sad, but getting there. I also redo cabinets.
Texas Jan where do you find these machines? There are in rough condition but you you have proven you can clean them up and I mean a really good job to. I am furniture restorer by trade and I am looking forward to your progress on the cabinet. This cabinet will be more of a challenge than the machine. Veneering and fabricating wood pieces. But we are Texans and we can do anything. What part of N. Texas are your from I am from Decatur TX. Please email me with pics of your progress would love to see them. PM me and I will send you my email if like. I admire you for good work. Glenn
Old 06-14-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor

Texas Jan

Instead of being the quiltdoctor. Think you are more like a SM Doctor. They sure look good when you get finished with them. I even bet they feel better with all the TLC.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:48 PM

Tex Jan the wheel is rusted to the shaft. After you remove the derusting treatment You can use a small wheel puller to remove the wheel but be very carefull. As you tighten the puller tap the wheel with a wooden mallet or rubber mallet. I have done this several times. You can also use a penatrating oil to loosen the wheel, but you know this already. I really got to get me some evapo-rust!! Glenn
Old 06-14-2011, 05:08 PM

I made a purchase this weekend. Found it in an out-of-the-way antique shop in Missouri. I'm sure it is a class 15 Singer, but which exact model I am confused. According to Sandman collectibles it is a 15-30: electric, belt driven, tension on the face plate facing to the left, and the finger on the bobbin case is pointing to 1 o'clock. BUT as I scrolled down the page I found a picture that looks exactly like my machine - a 15-86 with the RAF decals. And then at the ISMACS site it says that my cabinet was only sold with a 15-91 head. So not sure what I have. It is in great shape except for the wiring. DH has been working on that today. Only paid $20. And I think the attachments for my modern Singer will work on it. Can't wait to try it out.