Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Sewing Machine recommendations please . . . >

New Sewing Machine recommendations please . . .

New Sewing Machine recommendations please . . .

Old 06-15-2011, 05:33 AM

My favorite sewing machines for over 30 yeares have been Pfaff. I have a 7570 that I use for all sewing that is over 30 years old and I will never trade off. I bought a CV about three years ago and am still learning new functions this machine has. A great way to keep the old brain working. I believe that the deciding factor is the service and support you will get from the store that you purchase your new machine.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:34 AM
Banned

you will get a million answers to this and each one will recommend a different machine...
bottom line, make a list of what YOU want on the machine...go to as many dealers in your area as you can and test them all..make NOTES...only YOU know your budget, and what YOU want the machine to do...most machines today come with 95% of things you will never use...so keep it simple, keep it with in your budget and keep it close to home so you have a dealer to work with on keeping it forever!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:48 AM

Good advise. I to am looking for a embrodery machine. Looked at Janome yesterday. Will check out the brother today. Can't decide if I want a machine that sews and embroiders or just the embroidery. After a while you do get confused. And thenm I think just go and get it over with, but the price has me considering.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:48 AM

The ultimate choice is yours. Remember that companies may own others. I didn't realize that Brother makes Babyloc. My sewing machine dealer showed me that the Brother Pro and the Babyloc quilter's choice are exactly the same machine! Make sure you are happy with your dealer and have someone for repair. Don't underbuy and wish you had the next higher machine.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:49 AM

Depends on what you want to do. I have a Viking Diamond. Best machine I ever owned. My sister liked it so much she got a Ruby which she loves. These machines do embroidery, too, though.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:01 AM

I have the Bernina 730 and I love it especially when I go to classes at the Bernina dealer. He wants to teach you everything so that you will use it and that is very important when you get a machine. My friend traded her
830 in and got the limited edition 830 so I bought her old
830 with the embroidery and I have loved every minute I have used it. My Bernina dealer has a lot of classes and webinars and we all gather there Tues afternoon and share different ideas and techniques and we are like a family. I do not recommand the big 830 if you want to travel with it. Its too heavy and big. Bernina has provided
all my wants and wishes in sewing. I also have the Bernina frame and would love to have the q-bot and tomorrow they are having a webinar on it but don't think I can afford it right now but its still in my dreams
Old 06-15-2011, 06:04 AM

BERNINA AURORA 440 QE!!!! It's a workhorse and when you use the BSR is does free motion quilting beautifully. It also has an embroidery module you can purchase. I don't embroider but my daughter does and she loves hers.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:06 AM

I love my Janome which is my traveling machine (classes etc) and I just bought a Baby Lock Quest Plus. I love them both. I would have gone with a Janome upgrade but got a killer price on the Babylock.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:08 AM

I have a Pfaff, a Janome, and a FW and love them all.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99
I would definitely try out Pfaff, Bernina and Janome machines at dealerships. The Pfaff is really nice for piecing because of the built-in even feed, but the placement of the presser foot lifter drives me nuts! Love my Bernina 1230, but it's a really old machine now; not sure I would love the newer Bernina's as much (haven't tried any out lately). Janome offers a lot of features for less money (I think) than Pfaff or Bernina.

It's a lot like buying a car. You need to test drive one to figure out what you like and don't like.

Yes, pretty much this above. Also check the Juki for a great plain machine if that is what you are looking for. I have several Janomes including the 6500. I bought Janome, about 8-9 years ago, from my Bernina dealer over a Bernina because it offered many features for quilting over the Bernina. Since then Bernina has really gotten into the quilting features but I find their price still prohibitive. I do own a wonderful old work horse, the Bernina 830 vintage, for piecing.