Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What type of iron so you use? >

What type of iron so you use?

What type of iron so you use?

Old 06-14-2011, 12:49 PM

Have a $9 Protor Silax from Walmart,,,,,works great...no shut off, which is so important to us quilters...with old one everytime I turned to use it, it had quietly turned itself off and went and stood in a corner....It is now in a box !!!! love my $9 iron
Old 06-14-2011, 12:51 PM

Have a $9 Protor Silax from Walmart,,,,,works great...no shut off, which is so important to us quilters...with old one everytime I turned to use it, it had quietly turned itself off and went and stood in a corner....It is now in a box !!!! love my $9 iron
Old 06-14-2011, 07:13 PM

NJ Quilter, Just on the new instruction manual for the Ero Steam and it now says to use tap water and not 100% distilled water - so things have changed.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
Jumping in here late and admitting that I have not read all the responses so if this is a repeat of anything I apologize. But first, I use both a Rowenta and A EuroPro. Both are steam. Have had both for 6 plus years and never a problem. I think one reason many folks may have issues with their steam irons is not using the correct water - as odd as that may sound. I know Rowentas make ones each for use with tap water and for distilled water. I specifically made a point to buy the one for use with tap water and have never had an issue with it leaking. Maybe some flaky build up periodically then the manufacturer's directions are to fill with tap water and just hold the steam button until the iron is empty and free of flakes. Usually only takes one cycle. My EuroPro requires distilled water. Again, no issues with leaking and never any water flakes. Don't know about other brands but it might be something to look at if anyone is having leaking issues and you still have your instructions. Just my thoughts.
I have extremely hard water, so have a softener, otherwise I get terrible white scale. In my case Rowenta recommended using bottled "spring water", not distilled or my softened water. I haven't seen any Rowenta's that called for Distilled water, or I would have bought one. Something to consider if you're still in the market.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:56 PM

I bought this iron. It's completely flat, no-steam and works great for paper piecing. It does make some odd snapping sounds now and then, and doesn't seem to be the sturdiest iron to me and the dial seems a little loose, but I love not having the paper-pieced blocks getting caught in the holes of my steam irons. I also find it runs pretty hot, so I tend to keep it lower than other irons around #3. This was the only iron I ever found that was completely flat on the bottom.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/p.../dry-iron.html

Connie
Old 06-15-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by SeaTea
I bought this iron. It's completely flat, no-steam and works great for paper piecing. It does make some odd snapping sounds now and then, and doesn't seem to be the sturdiest iron to me and the dial seems a little loose, but I love not having the paper-pieced blocks getting caught in the holes of my steam irons. I also find it runs pretty hot, so I tend to keep it lower than other irons around #3. This was the only iron I ever found that was completely flat on the bottom. http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/p.../dry-iron.html Connie
Thanks for the link, as many friends have wanted to know where to get one like I have (mine was a thrift store find). They have quite a few nice laundry aides over there at that site too.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:20 PM

I have a little tiny iron about 5 in long I got in the craft department at Walmart.I use it on my quilt pieces.My regular iron when I have to iron clothes.