Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Someone Help me with this puppy!!!! >

Someone Help me with this puppy!!!!

Someone Help me with this puppy!!!!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
We went through this with the dobie in my avatar when she was a puppy. Have you taken her to puppy training yet? I was taking China to puppy training at night to socialize her and teach her good puppy manners. The trainer came to our house to show us the choke chain method that MellieK mentiond because I was afraid I would hurt her and wanted an expert to teach me the right way to do it. It worked in the first session!! I can't remember now exactly how it was done.
Seriously; puppy training??? I'm guessing that this was not free. I raised two large dogs (dobie and an Lab) from pups. They knew two words. NO and LOVE. It is the tone of your voice and how you say it that lets them know who the top dog is. Dang, this does not apply to cats. :lol:
Old 06-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Banned

Hi Carrie....We have an Old English Sheepdog. Took him to PetSmart for obedience lessons when he was of age as a puppy. They give you lots of help and tell you how to use hand language. We put hand out and tell him DOWN and show him down. It works great.

Also, when we were training him to go out we put those big bells on a rope on the door handle. He still uses it. So darn funny. When in kitchen and can't see him, he rings his bells lightly. We tell him we will be right there. If a few seconds go by and we aren't at the door, he takes that rope and rings those bells so loud...it's quite funny to watch.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:29 PM

have fun, she'll get better lol Barb
Old 06-15-2011, 12:39 PM

get a spray bottle and fill with water. add approx 1 teaspoon (per cup of water) white vinegar. when is misbehaving spray at face but not right in face. learned this from a professional dog trainer. she objected to most negative reinforcement training, but main point with this method is to surprise her. majority of dogs hate this and in time just pointing a spray bottle at her will make her stop. vinegar will not harm in any way, which is one reason it's a common solution. hope this helps. all our dogs are taught that some things not allowed this way. vet encourages use of this method. good luck. remember puppies have very short attention span!! :-D
Old 06-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

i sincerely hope you get some help for you and your puppy. puppies have lots of energy and need to use it up daily. advice to "hurt" your puppy should be put where it belongs. in the trash.
good luck hon. let us know how you and puppy fair please.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by lindyline
Get a can of air for cleaning computers and spray it down yourself every time she jumps
be careful with this because you can burn your skin. my hubby thought he was being funny and sprayed him arm and when it got cold, he had burned his arm....not that you would spray yourself that much.

what about a squirt bottle of water?
Old 06-15-2011, 02:09 PM

my greyhound was a jumper too and I got one of those lemon with juice in it and it did not take too many times of juice in her mouth for her to quit. i then just had to say "do you want juice" and she would back down. Not harmful and affordable
Old 06-15-2011, 02:33 PM

If you have friends with dogs, ask if they know of a good trainer where they train you while you train the dog. If not get a recommendation from your vet. You need to break this behavior. Puppy needs to know you are the Alpha dog in the pack. Positive re-enforcement using small treats you can purchase at the pet stores when puppy is good. One thing if you need to is a pinch collar. I know some people think this is crule, but the trainers we used who are award winning trainers and have worked training police dogs around the world recommends them. I was resistant at first but it really made since when he explained it to us. A choke caller will "choke your dog and continures to tighten as a dog pulls against it. A pinch collar can only pull so tight because of the way it is designed and the barbs dig slightly into the dogs neck causing a pinching sensation the dogs hate. It worked well for our problem child.
If you know someone who has had this problem then maybe they can help you with how they broke this behavior. Good luck, puppys can be a handful. My first choice is find a good trainer to help you if you've not done it before.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by redkimba
Make sure that you are taking her out for regular walks so she has a chance to work off that energy. Also make sure she understands that YOU are at the top of the pecking order.

Cesar Milan has really good tips also.
or go to the library- Train Your Puppy by? but it worked for my hyper min-pin
it might even work on rowdy kids
:D
Old 06-15-2011, 06:28 PM

My niece used a squirt bottle to train a black lab, this puppy was the wildest puppy I had ever saw. When he would do something Samantha would squirt him and talk to him calmly. I first thought Samantha should take him back to the pound(I know that is really a bad thing to think, but my brother just had a tumor removed from his brain and we were afraid the puppy would knock him down)but this worked ! The dog is a big dog now, a great pet and part of their family. Good luck with yours.