Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this a silly Idea? >

Is this a silly Idea?

Is this a silly Idea?

Old 06-15-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
I love the idea. The only problems I can think of are moving it, very heavy, and having a level platform to put it on for sewing by the stream. Oh! And bugs! HAAAAAAAAAAAA!
peace :D

Pipe dream: after your friends build you a permenant screened summer house by the stream, feed them real well!
Pipe dream: no cooking! Just make them a quilt! I'll bring my treadle and we'll pump together!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
I love the idea. The only problems I can think of are moving it, very heavy, and having a level platform to put it on for sewing by the stream. Oh! And bugs! AAAAAAAAAA! peace :D
Pipe dream: after your friends build you a permanent screened summer house by the stream, feed them real well!
After reading all the posts so far...I think this last "Pipe dream" is THE best! Are funds too strapped to put up a small screened platform? It would be great to sleep in as well, down by the stream. Just a few images here from the web for a simple shelter. If you used a metal roof, the underside white, it would reflect more light. Most of these are just simple platforms with post structures, and screen attached after the fact. Best to put a kickboard in the bottom 6" to 10" high though, as otherwise people tend to accidentally kick-out the screen.

I would make a cover for a machine in case of rain anyway; and as others have said, something to absorb moisture underneath, to prevent rust.

I have followed Jenny @ sew-classic for a long time, and loved this idea to convert a little Singer 99 to hand-crank & back to electric for sewing outdoors. Read here: http://blog.sew-classic.com/2009/05/...ack-again.aspx

Sounds like a dream come true, just set up the hammock for a mid-day nap & I'm all set to join you!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-211981.jpe
Views:	69
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	211987  
Old 06-15-2011, 04:40 PM

What about the mosquitos?? I hear they are bad already. But I know it would be great to do that I love being outdoors especially since all the snow we had this past winter.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:03 PM

Sounds like it would be fun, and relaxing
Old 06-15-2011, 05:24 PM

I luv ur idea.. Learned to sew on a treadle...
my grandma's ... Would have luv to have it
Under the trees ... Oh sooo wonderful!!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:56 PM

Just picturing what you are talking about gives me a vision of serenity. What a beautiful way to spend your time. Just make sure you limit the amount of time you spend gazing at all the nature so you get some sewing done. heehee
Old 06-15-2011, 06:49 PM

It sounds like a wonderful Idea,and peaceful
Old 06-15-2011, 08:22 PM

Treadle or hand crank would be so nice. Wish I could go. Happy sewing whatever you decide.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:40 PM

Sounds like a wonderful idea. YOu'll be able to hear the birds and bees out doing their thing while you do yours!

Originally Posted by Vicki W
I have a farm that I use as a weekend home. My husband spends a lot more time there than I can. He's retired and I have a long way to go before I can.

On our property, we have a camp ground next to a creek. I have been thinking all summer that I "need" a treadle machine so that I can quilt under the trees. (My other option is to use a generator but I have gotten it in my head that the threadle would be peaceful). Are there any con's (reasons I shouldn't) I have a building that I could store it in when I am not there.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:53 PM

Go for the treadle outside, sounds soooo relaxing.