Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long Arm Purchase Reviews needed >

Long Arm Purchase Reviews needed

Long Arm Purchase Reviews needed

Old 06-15-2011, 07:20 PM

Great advice Shelley! I would never have thought about adjustable ergonomic handles and to me that sounds like a must have! May I ask what type of LA is an A-1? I haven't heard of that one. What is the hydraulic lift used for? Thanks for answering my post. Happy Quilting!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:23 PM

Hi Betty,
I did google Renae H. and even went to her site. I couldn't find the comparison. I will try again tonight, but I must have looked an hour last night. Could mean I am just old? Ha,ha. Things never seem to be easy any longer. Peg
Old 06-15-2011, 07:40 PM

Thanks Deb for being honest about your machine. Good to know.
Peg ;-)
Old 06-15-2011, 08:45 PM

Here's the link to the A1. The hydraulic lift adjusts the table up/down. When we bought the machine, there were going to be 3 who used the machine. Add in my 12 year old, and we have a full foot height difference between the shortest and tallest. When quilting, I change the height up and down an inch or two each hour. It saves my back.

Here's the link to the A1 site. If you go down the page just a bit, there's a picture.

http://www.800longarm.com/index.php
Old 06-16-2011, 05:02 AM

On her website, go to the "store" tab and then you will see "shopping for a longarm." Have fun shopping!

Betty M

Originally Posted by Peggy Sew
Hi Betty,
I did google Renae H. and even went to her site. I couldn't find the comparison. I will try again tonight, but I must have looked an hour last night. Could mean I am just old? Ha,ha. Things never seem to be easy any longer. Peg
Old 06-16-2011, 09:13 PM

Well, I guess I am not ready for the retirement home yet. The comparison is no longer there but just a letter with her conclusion of what she thought was the best LA. I'm still learning though and the site was great. Thank you.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:58 AM

I have a Bailey. The price is very reasonable and its made in the USA. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but it does a beautiful stitch. I have the stitch regulator too. The Bailey comes in 13", 15" and 17" arms.

I just quilt for me, no one else and the Bailey has been perfect. I decided last Sunday afternoon that I wanted to make a quilt for a going away party tonight. I cut Sunday, pieced Monday and Tuesday evening after work, quilted the whole thing Wednesday evening, put the binding on last night and it's in a gift bag ready to go. I don't usually get anything done that fast (who am I kidding? you can usually measure my progress in months or years, not days :roll: ), but having my Bailey lets me do it this fast when I need to.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:06 AM

Hi - I have a Tin Lizzie 18. It has a stitch regulator but doesn't always work. My husband has to keep adjusting it and roughing up the rails for better contact. I've had it for approximately 6 years so perhaps they've improved it. I also wish I had a bigger throat than the 18" as I have now started a long arm quilting business. At the time I was purchasing it, I was looking at best quality for least amount of money. Good hunting. I know there are some good machines out there.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:26 AM

I think I can eliminate the Tin Lizzie. You are the second person to give me an honest eval of this machine. Thank you for taking the time to write. I can't wait to play on whatever I do get. It may be a couple of months, maybe not. It is such a large purchase I am afraid of making a mistake so I want to make sure to get exactly what I need/want. Thanks!
Peg
Old 06-21-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by bonnyh
Hi - I have a Tin Lizzie 18. It has a stitch regulator but doesn't always work. My husband has to keep adjusting it and roughing up the rails for better contact. I've had it for approximately 6 years so perhaps they've improved it. I also wish I had a bigger throat than the 18" as I have now started a long arm quilting business. At the time I was purchasing it, I was looking at best quality for least amount of money. Good hunting. I know there are some good machines out there.
Call Tin Lizzie and tell them about your stitch regulator not always working. It sounds like you need a new Y cable. That is the cable the connects to the two encoders. A wire may be going bad in there and then sometimes when the cable moves around, it's a bad connection. It happened to me and I got a new cable and now all is perfect with the stitch regulator.