Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I Almost Want To CRY!  Baby Jane drama! >

I Almost Want To CRY! Baby Jane drama!

I Almost Want To CRY! Baby Jane drama!

Old 06-15-2011, 09:09 PM

Sorry for your troubles. The sun will shine soon. Like your squares....
Old 06-15-2011, 09:40 PM

I am so sorry this has happened to you - I am also working for the Dear Jane quilt and using the Kona 108"muslin and have not had a problem with it. I even went and double checked it for strength after reading your message as I have 148 blocks completed and you really through a scare into me. It must have been a defective bolt - I hope you can get some satisfaction from JoAnn's
Old 06-15-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
Oh, no, that IS terrible!

One suggestion: Try to find a lightweight iron on stabilizer or interfacing and apply that to the back of some fabric and one or two of your existing blocks. See if that gives enough strength to go on with. In a book I just acquired, the author recommends Sulky Soft 'n Sheer stabilizer.

Good luck!
This sounds like a good idea!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:23 AM
ns

That is terrible to think of all the work and hours you have put into making this quilt. I think if I were you I would get on line to JoAnn's and see what they say.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:10 AM

I bought some black fabric - unknown where and since my fabric is stored in a room without windows and the light only comes on when I am in there - I used this black fabric - and finish a wolf quilt with it in the borders and when washed it did the same thing your is doing (it just fell apart)- It was years ago - and because I use alot of black - the rest of the fabric got used in another quilt but I caught it before I completed the quilt and all borders and lattus had to be replaced - so, any type of fabric I take out of my room I test it - no matter where it comes from - I think mine was purchased from a local fabric shop. been there and done that.. I am very sorry I know exactly how you feel!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:25 AM

I absolutely would take it back to JoAnn's and explain the problem. I think most stores bend over backwards to take returns, especially when they can see it is a defective product. I feel like crying for you too! Good luck....
Old 06-16-2011, 08:29 AM

Oh no! That is a terrible thing to have happen! I hope that you manage to have it exchanged for something more durable. Best of luck!
Old 06-16-2011, 12:26 PM

I am so sorry that this happened to you. Good idea to take it to Joanns and show them, in front of other customers, and make sure you let out that Primal Cry while your there, too.
Marla
Old 06-16-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
The "premium" Kona that JoAnns sells isn't all that its
supposed to be. I bought some and it just wasn't what I was used to.
I'm sorry that you found out the hard way after making all those blocks.

joann's also sells kona colors that aren't the same as LQS. this was a topic not too long ago. joann's sells 2 qualities of kona colors, on shelves right next to each other at 2 different prices. incredible, right? feel the different price fabrics and you'll faint.

manufacturers will manufacture to a specific price point in order to gain a lucrative contract. if joann's wants to sell kona (a big, attractive name brand) but wants to make a big profit, they try to make a deal with kona. if kona wants to make the fabric for joann's (that's a HUGE amount of stores) they'll produce to the price point that joann's is willing to pay. after all, kona has to make a profit, too. in order for everyone to make money (except you) the quality has to come down.

you can try complaining (just loud enough for other customers to hear you) to the manager at joann's, you should also, as someone else said, write and call kona and be specific. i would enclose one block, and explain that it was one of many. i would not ask for anything, but say that i expected some kind of
first quality replacement fabric in the amount of however many yards you need. i would ask to what address they would like the unusable yardage to be returned, collect.

i would also mention, to both joann's and kona, that this problem is now being discussed on the board and members are waiting to see how it gets resolved. when you write, use the link to the first post so someone reads it and knows you're telling the truth.

if kona tells you that they do not produce to a price point, they're not being honest. everyone produces to a price point.

i hope you do keep us informed as to what happens as a result of all of this.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-32070-1.htm

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-54196-1.htm
(read what katier285 had to say)

you could go on and on. go to search and type in kona fabrics or kona cottons.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
What you can do, instead of getting rid of the blocks you've made already is to turn them into a gorgeous wall hanging (one that won't be washed so often) and put it up over your bed - so when your Baby Jane is done, there's something matching.
I think this is a lovely idea, as a great way to turn the disappointing experience, to a positive. I have bought many yards in Kona cotton & haven't used much of it yet (not the wide). I appreciate you sharing, & I will definately give it a good tug before cutting & sewing.
So sorry this happened to you!

Originally Posted by marla
Good idea to take it to Joanns and show them, in front of other customers, and make sure you let out that Primal Cry while your there, too.Marla
:P