Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is quilting a solitary activity for you? >

Is quilting a solitary activity for you?

Is quilting a solitary activity for you?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:52 AM

I quilt (learning) by myself, living rural I don't know of anyone out here that does - and I find all kinds of neat stuff (and information) on the computer to try. My cat supervises me daily! and I enjoy reading this Board for ideas - and companionship. My hubby is also retired and has his computer downstairs in the family room - and yes, we will email funny stuff to each other!! I also like to sew clothes and embroider (hand and machine) - we also have mini-farming to do, so I really decide in the morning what it is that I want to do today - I love it! Once in awhile I would like to take a "day time" class - but so far what I have checked into is 35 miles away and so expensive!

Marysewfun
Old 06-16-2011, 09:26 AM

I quilt alone for the most part. There's no guild near me. And the not so LQS only holds classes and sew ins when I have work. So it's pointless. I do listen to music or if my DH is upstairs programming or doing something on the computer then I might talk to him. If he's involved, then I don't. I'm trying to get my daughter into playing upstairs so I can quilt, but that's not working out so well
Old 06-16-2011, 09:45 AM

I quilt alone, & chat with quilters in groups like this. Hard to find a local group to do any quilting with here. But I still enjoy it, quilt when I want to & feel like it, doesn't matter how I look, or what I am wearing, & my three little dogs, furrbabies, keep me company, lol...
Old 06-16-2011, 10:26 AM

I quilt alone except for my Golden Retriever Lucy, she lays near me. I worry about going elsewhere to quilt because I am a Libra and need all my stuff near me, you know, just in case I need it. Or worry I wouldn't take everything I need. LOL
Old 06-16-2011, 10:40 AM

I enjoy quilting alone at home, with blues or jazz playing in the background, because I can work and experiment at my own pace. If I get stuck, I can just go to the computer or consult one of the books on my shelf. Ocassionally, I'll take a class, but I always seem to be the last one finished or I have some kind of machine malfuction. Grrr!
Old 06-16-2011, 10:43 AM

I quilt alone because it's my stress-reliever. I prefer to listen to classical and non-vocal music. To me quilting is just like reading a book. You can't really understand the story if there's a crowd reading out different stories altogether.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:46 AM

I belong to a group that started about 25 years ago. We only have 2 original members. People would leave and members would bring a friend who brought a friend and so on. We meet once a month at each others house. We don't really quilt together at that time. Mostly show and tell , talk and planning. In Nov. we try and do a group retreat, in Feb. a weekend at Embassy Suits and in the summer a long weekend at the cabin of one of the members. They built a room of the garage big enough for 3-4 tables and a separate area for cutting. We have 2 retired teachers that have been friends for years and get together and quilt once a week. For the most part we all quilt at home by our selves but will do day trips and such in small groups depending on who can go. We started out as quilters but have ended up as friends. We finally names our group" Kindred Quilters"
Old 06-16-2011, 10:50 AM

I am part of a group that meets at the church on Tuesdays. Other than that, it is pretty much just me.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by carolynbb
Mostly alone. I've never taken my machine anywhere but I hope to sign up a for a class or two pretty soon. I've gone to the local senior center on quilting days but I can't think as well in a room full of people talking and such. I like to go see what they are up to and show them my projects but when I really want to get something done I'm better when nobody is around.
I quilt alone, at home. I do belong to a guild in GB area and go to the Senior Ctr in Edgewater. We have sit and do your own workings, chat, eat lunch, share information, show and tell etc. It is very informal but I look forward to going. Where are you signing up for classes, if I may inquire??
Old 06-16-2011, 11:22 AM

Except for a once-a-month guild meeting and a 3-day retreat each year, I quilt alone. As alone as I can be with a cat walking between me and the sewing machine occasionally.