Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-16-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by miriam
looks like a 503 to me - only has the one knob on top - my DIL LOVES hers - her mom said she hated to sew - until I gave her a 503... I have to admit I didn't think she would sew so I gave her one I scrapped together for $5 - it was missing the doors and only had a few cams... She got her hands on it and she says she fell in love. Then I tried to trade her a 401 and she said NO WAY. She named the 503 Margaret after her grandma. DIL said "She is old and missing parts but she still gets things done." And she says "She was very fashionable in her day." The machine or the grandma??? Gotta love that gal!!! I keep giving her cams and a buttonholer for gifts. She quilted her old child hood t-shirts together one day and was so excited.
Miriam, what a nice story! I also love my 503a, but I thought I had read somewhere to never sew without a cam in the machine? I have never tried to even sew a straight stitch without the '0' cam. Are you sure the 503a can sew a straight stitch with no cam inserted at all?

Nancy
Well, my 403 sews with out a cam... Shouldn't be any different on a 503 - test it out just for giggles and let me know - It sure doesn't zig zag without a cam.
My old sewing machine guru said its a good idea to keep a cam in there all the time, its better for the machine.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:36 AM

amboo, my 128 from 1952 has a black cord. I would think that's a replacement.

vintagemotif, Little Miss leader will be pretty when she's cleaned up. Since the weather has been better so I can open up the house, I haven't had time. I'm sure it's the same machine as Mollie'smom's.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Minnesota newbie
not a machine but an old find!haven't seen one of these in a long time $10.00 find at garage sale.
OOOOO!!! I LOVE that sewing chair!! Very neat.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by amBoo
Hi

I'm not sure if this picture will come through. If it does, can anyone tell me what model this might be and if the cord is a replacement?

Thanks!
Nancy

That sure is a pretty machine! Nice shape.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:03 PM

Back on page 1112, I inquired about buying spools of leather, rather than belt kits.( http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1112.htm#3349480 ) However, a huge influx of new machines overshadowed my inquiry, and no one responded. So, now that we're on the subject of belts . . . are there any pros and cons on the subject of buying spools of round leather, or beveled? One spool will belt many machines, and is less expensive than 5 new belts from my local dealer.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Will an old belt still in the package still be any good - if so how would I know?
Old 06-16-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
Anyone in the SF Bay Area looking for a free Singer 15-90- and stool? That Singer 15-90 can be used in treadle, and you don't need to change the wheel to a spoke wheel.

I find this post amusing. Anyhow, it will all be free by end of week.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2439924460.html

I am interested in this machine, have replied and haven't heard back. Since posting a question on this thread about my featherweight about a month or so ago, I have been having a good time reading old posts, but am only up to about page183! Love looking at all your old machines and am finding myself increasingly drawn in........!!!!
Did that person ever reply? I do hope you get the machine!
She replied asking me to phone her, but didn't give a number! :roll: Still working on connecting! She says in her post that the cord is missing, but it seems like I can see it in the picture.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

Anyone in the SF Bay Area looking for a free Singer 15-90- and stool? That Singer 15-90 can be used in treadle, and you don't need to change the wheel to a spoke wheel.

I find this post amusing. Anyhow, it will all be free by end of week.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2439924460.html

I am interested in this machine, have replied and haven't heard back. Since posting a question on this thread about my featherweight about a month or so ago, I have been having a good time reading old posts, but am only up to about page183! Love looking at all your old machines and am finding myself increasingly drawn in........!!!!
Did that person ever reply? I do hope you get the machine!
She replied asking me to phone her, but didn't give a number! :roll: Still working on connecting! She says in her post that the cord is missing, but it seems like I can see it in the picture.
you can get cords
Old 06-16-2011, 01:10 PM

It would appear that our dear Billy's recent encounter with a copperhead has affected his mind....oh well, since we all love him so much, let's see if we can help him out with his latest venture....I would offer to help but I am just a little bit too far out of his way...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130418-1.htm
Old 06-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Banned

Okay, I finally got around to posting photos of my Singer cabinet conversion here on the Quilting Board.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130940-1.htm#3493496

I have it under tutorials since I couldn't figure out how to post in the Vintage Machine Shop area.
The title is Conversion of Singer treadle cabinet.
I will move it into the Virtual Forums for you!

Billy