Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
organising threads and bobbins >

organising threads and bobbins

organising threads and bobbins

Old 06-17-2011, 06:51 AM

I think I'm going to go for the zipped bag idea - very simple and inexpensive. I wasn't sure that I could get very small zipped bags in the UK, but they're on Amazon. Thanks for all the brilliant ideas. I may move a step closer to being organised!
Old 06-17-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
I haven't seen anyone address what they do with bobbins from different sewing machines when they've used one thread and more than one kind of bobbin with that thread. I've got 5 sewing machines and only two of them use the same bobbin.

The best solution I've come up with so far is that I have separate bobbin storage boxes that I've marked on the lid which machine's bobbins are inside. I don't think this might be the best solution because there are times when I have trouble figuring out which bobbin goes with which thread, especially when two thread colors are very similar.

Anyone have any better ideas than this? Great 'thread' by the way. :thumbup:
That is why I use the bobbin boxes. Three different machines....three different bobbins. :roll:
Old 06-17-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Covered in Threads
Love the straw idea and the pipe cleaner trick. I have used the snack baggie, which seems to work the best for me now. And due to the varied sizes and heights of threads,I'm finding it easier to use the snack baggie and store them in clear plastic shoe boxes on the shelf over my main sewing area whenI want to be sure to keep the same spool and bobbin thread together.
In the past I bought some bobbin minders, little plastic units that fit into the top of a standard spool of thread which leads to my current probelm - these things don't fit as nicely into the tops of large spools.
I agree, that is a great idea, but how many bobbins do you have?

I don't have the money to buy a ton of extra bobbins.
I do try to use neutral colors, but if there is thread left on a bobbin, I will - if it blends in with what I am doing, use the bobbin in paper piecing.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
I haven't seen anyone address what they do with bobbins from different sewing machines when they've used one thread and more than one kind of bobbin with that thread. I've got 5 sewing machines and only two of them use the same bobbin.

The best solution I've come up with so far is that I have separate bobbin storage boxes that I've marked on the lid which machine's bobbins are inside. I don't think this might be the best solution because there are times when I have trouble figuring out which bobbin goes with which thread, especially when two thread colors are very similar.

Anyone have any better ideas than this? Great 'thread' by the way. :thumbup:
That is why I use the bobbin boxes. Three different machines....three different bobbins. :roll:
Glad to see I'm not alone on this one. :thumbup:

Did I mention that I also use different kinds of thread? One time I took a Sharpie and wrote an "M" on the bobbin end for Mettler, but wasn't sure that I wanted to do that, either. :roll: Oh, what to do?? :lol:

Actually, another thing I do for my Aurifil gray thread that I use the most for most piecing is that when not using it I put it in a small glass jar with a lid - with it's matching bobbins (for each machine I'm using it on). That way, I can easily spot it whenever I need to use it. I also have at least two spools of this color too, that way I can have it set up on two different machines if I want to. :thumbup:
Old 06-17-2011, 03:19 PM

The pony tail holders work wonderfully to keep bobbin tails from wandering. The bobbin buddies, those blue units sold at Walmarts, that fit into the hole of a standard spool, are perfect companions. I have compartmented drawers, in which I store threads and matching bobbins,. Also, for odd sized spools....the floral section at some supermarkets will give you free, the plastic nets that fit over the blossoms. These are good for keeping large spools and a matching bobbin or two, together.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:20 PM

The pony tail holders work wonderfully to keep bobbin tails from wandering. The bobbin buddies, those blue units sold at Walmarts, that fit into the hole of a standard spool, are perfect companions. I have compartmented drawers, in which I store threads and matching bobbins,. Also, for odd sized spools....the floral section at some supermarkets will give you free, the plastic nets that fit over the blossoms. These are good for keeping large spools and a matching bobbin or two, together.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
This way of keeping bobbins is new to me but so far I like it.
I think this was very clever that you saw the spiral as a holder...do you know what diameter they are? I saw them @ an office supply for $3/25 pcs. 12" long each. Pretty affordable there.
Right now all of mine are in little plastic snap top organizer boxes with the thread; in my cabinet drawer. I got the sewing cabinet for $25 on CL for one of my old machines. This cabinet holds most of my notions, organized; as it has 3 drawers & a tilt-tray.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gramily
I bought a package of the cheapest golf tees. Put the bobbin on top of the spool and put a golf tee through the hole down into the spool. Will send photo tomorrow from PC.
This is an inexpensive solution: plastic binders cut apart. The small spine works a little better.

Binder spines cut in sections
[ATTACH=CONFIG]213234[/ATTACH]

Golf tees hold bobbin to spool
[ATTACH=CONFIG]213235[/ATTACH]

re purposed cubbies from Lowe's with wheels
[ATTACH=CONFIG]213236[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-213228.jpe
Views:	60
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	213234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-213229.jpe
Views:	63
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	213235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-213230.jpe
Views:	56
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	213236  
Old 06-18-2011, 06:06 AM

Some great ideas - however for those of you with several machines how do you keep them coordinated. I have 4 different machines and all take different bobbins. A couple of them will use the same thread (but not all of them) so I need a better way to store the same color thread spool with the same color bobbins. Do most of you just put all the different machine bobbins together in a baggie/container with the same spool of thread? Trying to get better organized here with small sewing space.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by FWDesigns
Some great ideas - however for those of you with several machines how do you keep them coordinated. I have 4 different machines and all take different bobbins. A couple of them will use the same thread (but not all of them) so I need a better way to store the same color thread spool with the same color bobbins. Do most of you just put all the different machine bobbins together in a baggie/container with the same spool of thread? Trying to get better organized here with small sewing space.
I have exactly the same problem. All I know to do and am doing is I have different bobbin boxes for my different models and mark them as such. Not a perfect solution as sometimes thread colors are too close to know for sure which is which and sometimes I use the same thread for different bobbins.

Since I use one particular spool of Aurifil for most piecing, I have a small jar with a lid that I put my thread and the different bobbins in so I can see it at a glance. I usually have at least two spools of this color so I can piece on more than one machine at a time.

Sure hope someone else has some other great ideas for this dilemma. :D