Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warning...don't organize your stash! >

Warning...don't organize your stash!

Warning...don't organize your stash!

Old 06-16-2011, 07:10 PM

i have a problem i work at a quilt shop part time and spend more than i make there. im trying not to buy any more fabric because i whant an acuquilt studio cutter but when i told DH he said i couldent stop buying fabric that long to save upp for the cutter. plus i just got two totes off fabric from somone who was clearing out her stash. so now i need more storage.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:35 AM

Ok, I am addicted to fabric.
I think the real problem started last summer...I was visiting my mother (cross-country). She had some fabric she wanted to give me as she's not sewing much anymore. We found this great seashore panel that surprisingly I also had at home (somewhere). So we thought we'd just go to her wonderful LQS & find some coordinating pieces for the back & borders to share. Somehow, we couldn't find the "right blue", sort of a washed out periwinkle...so I told her just look on the internet. She doesn't use a computer, but has access. So I found a great fabric online & she wanted to see MORE. Long story short, she didn't buy any more fabric, but I found some great fabric shops online by themes & ways to search for older fabrics. When I got home, it seems I just had to go look around again. Even when I'm not buying, I love to organize & touch the nice fabrics.
This seems to be like food for me, I could just skip eating, but I just love to see all the colors & designs in fabric. Quilts too...when's the next quilt show?
Anyone going to the Long Beach, CA show at the end of JULY?

BTW, someone posted a great site for crock-cooking, so you can quilt all day instead..."Mennonite girls can cook".
Old 06-17-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by okie quilter
i do not buy cuts of fabric...i now purchase entire bolts. i am sure this is about as severe as i can get. teehee...just watch. next i may buy the entire lqs.
Oh...I dream of owning my own quilt shop! How fun would that be? I could teach quilting (like I used to), buy fabric for the store, decorate, help others with their addiction..oops I mean projects and just totally surround myself in all the colors of nature! How inspiring and fun!
Old 06-17-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by pineneedles4
Originally Posted by okie quilter
i do not buy cuts of fabric...i now purchase entire bolts. i am sure this is about as severe as i can get. teehee...just watch. next i may buy the entire lqs.
Oh...I dream of owning my own quilt shop! How fun would that be? I could teach quilting (like I used to), buy fabric for the store, decorate, help others with their addiction..oops I mean projects and just totally surround myself in all the colors of nature! How inspiring and fun!
owning your own business can be a major headache but i also have had the same dream. see ya, johnnye
Old 06-21-2011, 10:43 PM

I give you this warning as a friend...Don't Organize your Stash! It might make you feel guilty. I decided yesterday to organize my stash. I wanted to put all of the batiks together, the cottons together and fabric for sewing clothes together. Well, while in the process of sorting...I kept coming across bags that held complete quilt kits or fabric for quilts with the pattern that I had picked out. I found 16 different quilt kits plus two quilt tops! (I'm going to take a wild guess that I MUST enjoy the planning process more than the actual sewing process...or at least this is what the evidence is pointing to...but I LOVE the sewing process...could it be that I just LOVE it all a little too much?) These are complete, ready to make with the patterns and most of them even had the quilt backing with them! Four were cut out and three were partially sewn! I also found the pattern and fabric for a new apron, the pattern and fabric for a bow-tuck purse, and the fabric for three different table toppers! So....I am banning myself from the fabric/quilt shops until I have completed at least half of these items!

I will not buy fabric, I will not buy fabric, I will not buy fabric!

I am not a fabriholic...I can quit anytime....I will not buy fabric!

Vanessa in Oklahoma
I've made myself the same promise! I started cleaning the room which will eventually be my sewing room...and found fabric, patterns, and kits...I won't even mention how long ago some of these were purchased! :oops: Anyway, I'll have fun! :-)
Old 06-23-2011, 02:17 AM

Until when, ????
Old 06-23-2011, 04:11 AM

Well, I think that you did a great thing to organize and NOW you will be making some quilts that you have all the material to complete them !!

I say you did a good thing.
I am doing same thing. I have been a quilter for only 1 1/2 yrs. and I even have too much material, only have some squares cut out for one other quilt but I have a lot of backing for quilts in different themes etc. Think it is a good thing to stay away from the fabric stores for a while.
Your not alone !!
Eisgoow (Diana_
Old 07-07-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by jojo47
I give you this warning as a friend...Don't Organize your Stash! It might make you feel guilty. I decided yesterday to organize my stash. I wanted to put all of the batiks together, the cottons together and fabric for sewing clothes together. Well, while in the process of sorting...I kept coming across bags that held complete quilt kits or fabric for quilts with the pattern that I had picked out. I found 16 different quilt kits plus two quilt tops! (I'm going to take a wild guess that I MUST enjoy the planning process more than the actual sewing process...or at least this is what the evidence is pointing to...but I LOVE the sewing process...could it be that I just LOVE it all a little too much?) These are complete, ready to make with the patterns and most of them even had the quilt backing with them! Four were cut out and three were partially sewn! I also found the pattern and fabric for a new apron, the pattern and fabric for a bow-tuck purse, and the fabric for three different table toppers! So....I am banning myself from the fabric/quilt shops until I have completed at least half of these items!

I will not buy fabric, I will not buy fabric, I will not buy fabric!

I am not a fabriholic...I can quit anytime....I will not buy fabric!

Vanessa in Oklahoma
I've made myself the same promise! I started cleaning the room which will eventually be my sewing room...and found fabric, patterns, and kits...I won't even mention how long ago some of these were purchased! :oops: Anyway, I'll have fun! :-)
Well, an update on the promise I made myself...I broke down and purchased fabric at Walmart for the "Snow White Finds The Cottage" quilt, for which there is a free pattern At WM...So much to promises to self...but my GD will enjoy said quilt (hopefully I'll get it done before she outgrows it! :) )
Old 07-07-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by DebQuilter50
I have stash envy. Right now it would take me less than a minute to organize. Or maybe its quilt envy or fabric envy. I am on my way to Paducah on the way home from vacation so I plan to help keep the quilting industry going for those of you who say no more buying. (P.S. I can tell this is an addiction that does not go away, so I think we will all continue to buy, buy, buy!)
i agree completely :D :-D
Old 07-07-2011, 08:33 PM

3 days for me since I bought and bought some more! Don't know when I will get to it, so many other projects ahead of it.Gee, I wanted to stop by the LQS today but my car steered it's way home instead.