Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any non-sewing items that you use for quilting? >

Any non-sewing items that you use for quilting?

Any non-sewing items that you use for quilting?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:49 AM

I use sandpaper dots for the back of my rulers to stop slipping, chop sticks for poking corners and feeding fabric, Plastic containers that strawberries come in. They ar4e perfect for 2 1/2 inch squares.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:52 PM

I have a pair of surgical pickups(look like big tweezers)I use them a lot for anything that they will work on.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Sandpaper. :-D I cut out a piece of cardboard and wrapped a piece of 200 grit around it and duck taped it down. Wonderful to sign siggie blocks with or to draw lines on blocks cornor to cornor. I have used a large T-square for cutting out my borders. Its 48" long and the T part hooks onto the edge of the table and good to go. Works great.
Curious. What is duck tape? Quack Quack. I think you meant duct tape. (The multi-purpose sticky stuff that will remove warts but does not mend broken hearts)
There is a brand of "Duck" tape,spelled duck it even has a pic of a duck on it, just seen it at lowes yesterday! I looked to be sure when I went there because I seen this post and it irritated me some....
Old 06-08-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Sandpaper. :-D I cut out a piece of cardboard and wrapped a piece of 200 grit around it and duck taped it down. Wonderful to sign siggie blocks with or to draw lines on blocks cornor to cornor. I have used a large T-square for cutting out my borders. Its 48" long and the T part hooks onto the edge of the table and good to go. Works great.
Curious. What is duck tape? Quack Quack. I think you meant duct tape. (The multi-purpose sticky stuff that will remove warts but does not mend broken hearts)
There is a brand of "Duck" tape,spelled duck it even has a pic of a duck on it, just seen it at lowes yesterday! I looked to be sure when I went there because I seen this post and it irritated me some.... http://www.duckbrand.com/Products/duck-tape.aspx
Old 06-18-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by nantucketsue
Originally Posted by skippitydodahquilts
Freezer paper! I use it to print my labels on the fabric from my printer. Found the tutorial here - http://craftygemini.blogspot.com/201...-for-free.html
This is a brillliant idea, but not all ink jets are colour fast. Does anyone know if Epson ink is suitable for this method?
if no one has answered you yet.. i use my epson all the time... then i let it dry really well (overnite) then dry iron it to set it really well..
Old 06-18-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by GlitzyMe
Oh....Divokitty'smom reminded me about under the sewing machine. I use the comfort pads that you get when you have a mammogram.......they're nice dense foam with an adhesive side that goes on the mammo machine. I know - a little over the top but they use it for a few minutes and toss them away. I bring mine home.
i want to know where you get your mammogram done... cause they sure aren't giving me any "comfort"pads! i guess i should be happy with the new robes they got that actually wrap around and tie IN THE FRONT!
Old 06-18-2011, 06:09 PM

one thing i didn't see listed is a white plastic spoon.. i put it behind the eye of the machine needle, so i can see where to thread it... works every time.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:43 PM

chop sticks to press down instead of using ur fingers
my record rack to hold my rulers

shoe hanger which has pockets to hold thread and other sewing stuff

made a sewing center out of a Ushaped computer desk and added an ironing section

used a insolation board to make my design board

my sewing machine bag is really a rolling tool bag

I use clear sheet to hold my patterns and buy notebooks to store copies of my patterns
Old 06-18-2011, 06:48 PM

Chop Sticks to poke out corners when making pillow cases etc.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:55 PM

The white plastic spoon is a winner