Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What would you pay for This?? >

What would you pay for This??

What would you pay for This??

Old 06-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

It is a beauty
Old 06-16-2011, 12:06 PM

I have a kenmore that is 45 years old and it still sews like a dream. Good find.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
I have this same machine! I bought it new in 1974. When I upgraded I gave it to my mom. It is in the cabinet that daddy bought her in 1952. I've had it since she died in 1987.
I bought one of these in '74 too! It was the machine I took to college - spent my graduation money on it. My roommate made her wedding gown on it. I used it as my only machine for about 25 years til I upgraded to a Brother with an embroidery module. Now it's one of 5 machines at my house but I still haul it out on occasion and it still works great. They don't make them like that any more.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:46 PM

I have that same Kenmore - maybe bought in 75 when I started college. As someone else said - it has sewn clothes - maternity and children's, church banners, hockey pads, motorcycle gloves, quilts, baby bibs, dress scarves, towels, Halloween costumes, etc.

Every time I have it serviced, the guy says, "Never give up that machine. They don't make them heavy-duty like that anymore." The machine is total metal. My only problem with it is the pressure foot adjustment. There is a missing ring on the column to the foot (in the parts schematics for Kenmore) and no one can get that part anymore. Still sews great otherwise. I wanted a few other stitches, so I did break down a year ago and got a Viking Sapphire. Both machines go with me to quilting group.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:47 AM

Lucky you and lucky mom, I had a Kenmore for years until it wore out, used it for everything, mending levis, recovered furniture, sewed leather, made clothing, quilting and the list goes on. I still have the machine and still use it for heavy sewing, but it is so wore out the repair man says he cant adjust it now as the gears are worn. Darn I may have to start looking for another one.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:56 AM

I know back then the Kenmores where made by White. I had a White that my mother got me went I was in Jr. High in the 1950's it was a great machine, and went my husband and I moved I lost the bobbin case, went to Sears and got a new one, work well for many years and sewed better that some of the newer machines, like a dummy I sold it for $150.00 back in the 70's, wish I would have kept it.
So you got a great machine and I am sure you Mom will love it. Sounds like a sweet deal that is for sure.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:52 AM

What a bargain....and lucky your Mom!!!Do you want to adopt another mom ? All kidding aside, I just purchased a new "Singer Curvy" sewing machine that normally sells for $300 and I got it for half price at JoAnn's. The clerk that I spoke with said she loves it. We travel south for the winter, it will stay there and I feel if we travel 10 years (average cost $15 or less each year),then it was a bargain. I have a used Bernina, embroidery sewing machine that stays in Minnesota for 8 months out of every year.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:58 AM

New machines do lots of wonderful things but I have found that I can't work on them at all. I am not all that mechanical but these "old machines" I can work on. They come with decent manuals and instructions. Notice the difference in manuals of the old and new ones.
Haven't seen one yet that was particular about the brand of thread you sew with. My friend has beautiful machine but says it can only sew with a certain brand which is expensive. If it is strong thread I can use it! Machine don't care!
Love my old machines!!
Bet your mom will love it!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

I know she will love it,
Old 06-22-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Luscious Marilyn
What a bargain....and lucky your Mom!!!Do you want to adopt another mom ? All kidding aside, I just purchased a new "Singer Curvy" sewing machine that normally sells for $300 and I got it for half price at JoAnn's. The clerk that I spoke with said she loves it. We travel south for the winter, it will stay there and I feel if we travel 10 years (average cost $15 or less each year),then it was a bargain. I have a used Bernina, embroidery sewing machine that stays in Minnesota for 8 months out of every year.
Sure I'll Adopt you!! It's just like a good sewing Machine :lol: You can Never have Enough!!! LOL