Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bobbin >

bobbin

bobbin

Old 05-14-2011, 09:04 AM

Metal bobbins will also mess with the computer in a new machine. If your machine comes with plastic bobbins there is a definate reason.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:46 AM

my first electronic machine, a Kenmore, used my old metal bobbins from my mechanical machine but I couldn't see when it got low so switched to plastic. I recently got a Baby Lock and found it needed certain, flat sided plastic bobbins and can't use my other plastic ones. But, the flat-sided plastic bobbins work in my Kenmore. So I think its a matter of experimentation, ask a maintenance tech or use what's recommended for your machine.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:49 AM

I use the one they tell you to use for the machine they are plastic for all my machines. However even if I put the wrong plastic one i the machine it slips and slides around in the shuttle area. Sue
Old 05-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ging10ging
I use the one they tell you to use for the machine they are plastic for all my machines. However even if I put the wrong plastic one i the machine it slips and slides around in the shuttle area. Sue
Most of you seem to have what seems to me to be fancy machines. When I can afford it I also will have another machine. I have an inexpensive Simplicy machine that has served me well, for quite a while. The manuel doesn't say anything about what kind of bobbin to use. The bobbin case is metal and the bobbins I use are plastic. I also have gotten plastic bobbins that I thought were the same but they were not. My metal bobbins are too big for the machine. When I have read the bobbin bubble packs I have yet to read one that said you could use it on a Simplicy machine. But my Shirley Baby works for me and I can't ask for anything more.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:43 AM

In my old reliable Kenmore, I used metal bobbins inserted into a removable case. There was no top or bottom to the bobbin. In my new friend a H/V, it takes a specific bobbin that are extremely expensive. Thought I was going to choke when I went to the store where I bought the machine at and saw they were selling them in a package of 10 for $15.00. I have since found them online in packages of 30 for $10.00. The one thing that was important to get used to is the bobbin will only fit on the winder with the "H" logo facing up. Since this is a drop in type, it can only be inserted with the "H" up. (Yes, I tried to put it in upside down on purpose, and it don't work)
Old 05-15-2011, 11:52 AM

TonnieLorlee,
Which Husqvarna Viking do you have?
Sharon W.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaK

Most of you seem to have what seems to me to be fancy machines. When I can afford it I also will have another machine. I have an inexpensive Simplicy machine that has served me well, for quite a while. The manuel doesn't say anything about what kind of bobbin to use. The bobbin case is metal and the bobbins I use are plastic. I also have gotten plastic bobbins that I thought were the same but they were not. My metal bobbins are too big for the machine. When I have read the bobbin bubble packs I have yet to read one that said you could use it on a Simplicy machine. But my Shirley Baby works for me and I can't ask for anything more.
Which model do you have?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k9dancer
Originally Posted by BrendaK

Which model do you have?
Good morning. Shiirley is Model 1170, I purchased her from QVC. She and I have made clothes. quilts and a few odds and ends. I have limited room when I live, so I can't use a large machine. As I said we seem to get along really well. She will do quite a few regular and stretch switches. I am teaching my DGD (nine years old) to sew and she thinks Shirley is really neat. DGD knows that she will get Shirley when I can afford another. BrendaK :lol: :lol:
Old 05-17-2011, 07:58 AM

I would use whatever came with my sewing machine. The high tech machines nowdays are tooooo expensive to start messing with bobbins.... In would hate to kill my embroidery machine cause of a bobbin..... IMHO!
Old 06-19-2011, 12:57 PM

I just got a new Brother sewing machine - XR 7700. Much cheaper than my Pfaff sewing machine that went kapoop on me & it's not worth repairing. Manual for the Brother machine says to use SA156 bobbins [hard to find locally & expensive too]. It has to be 11.5mm or 7/16" in height. Wal-Mart sells bobbins but does not state which Brother machines- 'it fits most Brother'. Can the Singer Class 15 bobbins work? Dritz Class 15 bobbins do not fit proper, a little short & it wobbles in the bobbin slot of the machine.
Any suggestions?