Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who remembers S&H green stamps >

Who remembers S&H green stamps

Who remembers S&H green stamps

Old 06-19-2011, 06:24 PM

Ohmygoodness .. Yes I remember that .. does anyone remember getting dish towels or dishes in the soap boxes ?? What a memory going with Mom to the store and lugging home those huge boxes (LOL at the time they were HUGE!LOL), but then opening them to get the prize inside ! That was fun !
Old 06-19-2011, 06:36 PM

OMG!! I loved sticking those things in the little books for my mom, I also remember plaid stamps. I guess it depended on the grocery store that you shopped in. We had a plaid fringed blanket that we used on summer vacations to the beach that we got with green stamps. Does anyone remember getting drinking glasses in the powdered clothes soap, or the polka dotted glasses that the breakstone sour cream came in?
Old 06-19-2011, 06:39 PM

i do. got my first borns high chair with them .
Old 06-19-2011, 06:41 PM

i rember getting glasses in the soap . oh and getting them glasses in oatmeal to.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:47 PM

Are you ready for this? I still have several books and a bunch of loose S&H Green Stamps.. I sometimes think I'll toss them, but then, I've had them so long that I just keep on keeping them.. silly.. you can't get anything with them anymore of course, but they are fun to have anyway... I wonder if anyone else has some hiding in a drawer?
Old 06-19-2011, 06:49 PM

Oh.. forgot to tell you, I have a hamper we got with Green stamps.. a couple of cooking pots, actually we are still using quite a few things we got with stamps.. I loved them.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:55 PM

I remember Mom using them but don't remember anything she got.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:12 PM

I got my first ironing board when we got married with S & H green stamps. We also collected plaid stamps at one time. Both helped to get things we needed for the house. That was a long time ago.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by mac3rday
The detergent was DUZ. Sometimes they put dish towels or dish cloths in the soap. Anyone remember getting dinnerware when you bought gas?? I think Sinclair and Clark Oil gave that away with a fillup!

I don't know about Sinclair, but Clark gave away glasses, several different sizes. They had frosted deer on them. My husband had a bunch when we married & used them for years.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by marmalade
Originally Posted by Kitsie
OMG! So far (pg 3) there are 3 posts (including mine) about getting them stuck on your ..... you know where, at the doctor's office, my story included. Are we all remembering an old joke as something that happened to us or a friend??
I'm Canadian and I don't believe they were used up there! That is very strange! Will have to look at all the posts... :?:
Kitsie - I just asked dh, who grew up just outside of Niagara Falls, ON & he says he remembers collecting stamps, but he's not sure what kind. He thinks they could have been S&H, but he is really not sure.....

OK - to go along with this S & H stamp post - anyone remember the name of the grocery store you got them at???
and is the store still in business????

I remember "Acme" grocery store (in North Tonawanda,NY) for the green stamps. I think we got Plaid Stamps @ The Great Atlantic & Pacific Co (which then morphed into the A & P). Neither store is in operation today.
My first came from Piggly Wiggly. It's been gone a long time. Next was Minyard's in Dallas. I'm pretty sure it's still there. Also got a lot of them from a Shell gas station in Mesquite, TX and a Sinclair gas station in Dallas.