Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing the therapy >

sewing the therapy

sewing the therapy

Old 06-14-2011, 04:26 AM

Sewing,piecing, really help me put the pieces together when things in my life seem to fall apart. I can pray while I sew, I can self talk while I sew, I can cry and laugh when I sew. Sometimes I have to rip when I sew in these conditions but that just serves as a reminder that whem things go awry there is always a new solution to a problem or a new direction to take on life's journey. Ususally i end up with a lap quilt, prayer cover that I give to our church's sharing ministry..so more than one person can benefit from my therapy time..You and your family are in my prayers.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:49 AM

I'll be thinking of you and your dad. I'm glad it looks like he'll be okay.

Sewing and running are my therapy. Running is great for working out anger and frustration--I can go out and tear up a few miles and I always feel a lot better afterward. Sewing is more of a peaceful, comforting activity. If I can't get a hug from a person, a hug from my fabric stash is almost as good. :)
Old 06-14-2011, 04:54 AM

I agree! I sew and I knit...but when I'm upset I have to be careful because my knitting tension is tighter but I can always sew! And it turns the 'worrying time' into 'productive time.'
Old 06-14-2011, 01:17 PM

It can be nice on a riding lawnmower, until you look at what you have to still cut with the weed-eater and the push mower. he he
Old 06-16-2011, 02:39 PM

Best wishes for both your father and your husband. If you run out of therapy fabric, let us know...I'll donate to your cause!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by bbmom1989
This is such a wonderful place to pour your heart out that I know I can just talk. In the last 24 hours I have gone through my 88 yr old father going into the hospital - should be ok - but couldn't walk and couldn't keep any food down. After 4 bags of transfused blood and lots of fluid they are thinking a medication change will take care of this. Along with that my husband is being moved by his school district but with the budget cuts and all - after 24 years he does not know what he is teaching, where he is teaching or when he might know.

With all of this I was drawn to the sewing machine and cut out and sewed new potholders. Nothing big, nothing special but it felt so very comforting and I so enjoyed the time listening to the machine and feeling the material in my hands. I did not believe how comforting this was to me. I may sit in there all night!!!

Thank you for listening and I know there are others out there who use sewing for therapy!

Jana
Prayers going up for you and your family.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:07 PM

Why not use sewing as therapy? It's a great creative outlet. I love this site too- tons of great ideas and it's nice to be welcomed into a sewing community. If you guys are on Facebook, I recommend "liking" this page - http://www.facebook.com/AllFreeSewing

It's another sewing community I'm apart of. You might enjoy it too!