Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Templates >

Templates

Templates

Old 06-21-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
I was just wondering, you do make your own templates or use "store bought templates". And, what do you make them out of? I usually trace mine onto a sheet of typing paper and then transfer them over onto poster board and cut them out. But, I always do everything the old fashioned way because that is how I learned to do it. Am I totally out of date???
So far, I've only done piecing that calls for triangles, squares and strips, so no templates.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:00 AM

My husband makes mine for me from plexiglass
Old 06-21-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Iamquilter
I don't usually use templates for patterns for quilts but I do use old x-ray sheets from the hospital for templates for marking quilting patterns on the quilt for hand quilting. If I need one for patterns myhusband cuts it out of material he has as he is a machinist.
Thats what I use too....I am a Nurse and one of my girlfriends asked me if I could get them from radiology...I thought she was nuts...now I am hooked....I have my family members request copies of xrays now so I have the sheets :)
Old 06-21-2011, 09:29 AM

I had the local hardware store make me some basic size squares from plexiglass and they didnt cost more than 3.00 for the ones I had made.
Originally Posted by QuiltE
If it's one that I'm going to do much cutting with, I take it to the glass shop and have them cut them for me out of the same plastic as our rulers. The cost is minimal!!

I like having the solid thickness of the plastic .... can zip around it pretty quick with a small rotary cutter, and not worry about lopping off the edges of the template, or slicing my finger!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:34 AM

I went to our little hospital and selvaged their x-rays. Timing was great because they were throwing them away since the digital machine came in. I took them home and soaked them lightly in clorox and all that black came off. They are great and had no trouble taking the heat. They don't buckle like the mylar that I had---I used them many times over. Those of you who had used the plastic from bacon package, etc. How do they take the heat? I use mine for applique, putting starch on the fabric and ironing the seam around the template shape.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:40 AM

Wouldn't it be nice if LQS had a lending library on templates? Their name could be on the template and 1-2 weeks would be enough time to cut your pattern(and also make your own template).
Old 06-21-2011, 09:42 AM

I have a stash of discarded x-rays that I had the local radiologist office save for me. Transparent enough to see and trace through, sturdy enough to last through any number of tracings. Also I can use them to make stencils with a stencil iron if I want to. I have enough to last a very long time and best of all they were free.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sylviasmom
Wouldn't it be nice if LQS had a lending library on templates? Their name could be on the template and 1-2 weeks would be enough time to cut your pattern(and also make your own template).
Great idea! though do you think they'd go for it? After all they are in business to sell-sell-sell those things! :)
Old 06-21-2011, 10:12 AM

This what I use and you can't beat the price. I have also found the disposable cutting mats at the 99 cent store.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:20 AM

I use the mylar sheets if it is something I will only do once. Cardboard/posterboard always get shrivelly (is that even a word??) when you trace continuously against them. Sometimes I buy the plastic at the lumber store and have hubs cut them out if I will use them a lot.....