Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Need to Vent!!!!!! >

I Need to Vent!!!!!!

I Need to Vent!!!!!!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:46 AM

I had the same problem. I purchased an older laptop to use just for the embroidery machine. Well, all my quilting stuff. EQ, pictures, embroidery and patterns. Good luck.
Charlie
Old 06-21-2011, 10:50 AM

Have you looked to see if there are alternatives for software that will work with your machine? I refused to pay the high price of the software that goes with my machine and bought Explorations from OESD instead. It was much cheaper and does everything I want it to.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Take your computer to a techie, he can run a dual system one with the current windows and another with your old windows version and load your old software on to that system. When the system come up it asks you which system to open with. I am operating with 3 systems because my Janome is so old I have to run Windows 98, my digitizing softWare is win2000 and my new software for my new Janome is windows 7. It all works fine now and only cost me $50.00 to have it set up that way.
This is great advise. My son is a computer genius and says that the fix above is doable. Often people are told "your computer has crashed", when it fact it is often fixable but companies find it easier and more profitable NOT to fix them, especially if they are selling you a new one.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:39 AM

I was informed that the company was no longer supporting the old version and it would not work on my new computer operating system. When I asked about an upgrade, they said there was none, I would just have to purchase the new version, no cut in cost what so ever.

The same think happened to me! Have you looked into another brand of software? I found one that will work with a lot of embroidery machines...even my older one! PM me if you want more information.

Pat
Old 06-21-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Originally Posted by lovelyl
I want to thank everyone for all their sympathy and helpful suggestions! I have an old XP computer from my school that I need to turn in this summer because we are getting "new" ones. I am going to "test drive" the program on it and if it works, I will beg to buy the computer from the school as long as the price is right.
I have been struggling with keeping the brand secret from some weird sense of what is right, I know software gets outdated but I SHOULD be able to use old software that I paid a bundle for by just purchasing a REASONABLY priced upgrade. So, since I feel far more loyalty to you quilters, and would hate to see you get stuck spending more money in this economy (I can't as I am retiring in Dec.) I will let you know that the company is Husqvarna Viking.
When I bought my Scandinavia 400, the dealer (now out of business) told me it was a new machine. What I didn't know is that it was new in the box, but the box had been setting around for quite a while. I purchased in 2006 and later found out that it was made in 1990. I thought I was buying the latest and greatest that I could afford, but before long they were no longer manufacturing the reader/writer card I needed to download my embroidery and put into my machine. The company was no help then, either. Just a sorry, maybe you can find a dealer somewhere that still has a card. I am not happy with Husqvarna at all. I would never buy another machine from them.
One of the ladies in my quilt guild purchased a very expensive machine from them last year. Her machine wouldn't sew right from the first try. She kept sending it back for repair and finally called Husqvarna and was given no help at all, just told it was still under warrenty so send it in for repair. That machine just sits in a corner now and she bought a Bernina and loves it.
Again, thanks for all your help. There just may be a way for me to beat this company and not spend any more money with them!
I have an update on my problem. I called the LQS and the new program is on sale for $359. Too rich for my blood when I am getting ready to retire. I mentioned earlier that I had an old computer from my school that I hadn't turned in to the Tech Dept. yet. I loaded the program on it and it worked perfectly. I contacted the Tech Dept. and asked if I could purchase the computer because I knew it was just going to be sent to the recycle program. And.... THEY GAVE ME THE COMPUTER!!!! Problem solved, thanks for all the help!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
congrads. glad that worked out. Mine is a Viking too. sews great, but no help on the computer side.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Feather3
Bernina is one company that has done this to it's customers. I also had to upgrade, paying allot for the newer version software, so it'd work on my new computer. Yep they hold us hostage with all these constant upgrades to newer systems.

Digital camera companies are another one that you have to buy a newer camera, because the older one no longer is supported.
I stopped buying Berninas because they did not support their customers who had older models. The newer models they brought out had pressure feet, embroidery cards etc. that were not compatible with my (can you believe this) two year old machine.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:02 PM

I had the same thing happen to my camera which I loved. I got a new computer and couldn't download my pictures to my computer. I called the company and they said that I'd have to use my old computer with the old windows operating system or buy a new camera. I still have the same camera and my old clunker deskpro computer. I love the way it takes pictures and it wasn't cheap. Manufacturers sure don't look out for the customer, they just want to sell new stuff.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:02 PM

I have the same problem. Mine didn't crash but my new computer won't accommodate the little box that allows me to transfer designs to the machine card. Therefore, I still have my old computer. New one won't take floppy discs either and that is what I use mostly. I guess that is how they make their money.........planned obsolescence!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:19 PM

What a scum your dealer was!!! I am not surprised he is out of business... he hasn't reopened under a new name? You can probably check that out online from your county business licenses. He really misrepresented your machine. If he is still in business somewhere in your area I would file a report with the county or Better Business Bureau at the very least. He may try to scam everyone who comes his way. It is a good thing that you stated the brand name... you may have protected someone or many from the same situation. Congratulations to you... that took some courage... we are told to be polite too often when we should not. Thank you
Old 06-21-2011, 02:32 PM

You can buy an external floppy drive for your computer and they aren't very expensive. But it is getting hard to find floppy disks anymore, they are going by the wayside. That's progress. My embroidery machines both use floppies, One can at least be used directly from computer.

Good Luck

Suzy