Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My fabric is ruined!!! What should I do? AARRGGHH! >

My fabric is ruined!!! What should I do? AARRGGHH!

My fabric is ruined!!! What should I do? AARRGGHH!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:37 AM

I think it'll be just fine as is.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:39 AM

It really looks like intentional shading, and I think it will be just fine in a quilt. If there are going to be large pieces of this fabric, such as an entire square of it between pieced squares, you might not like the look, but in smaller pieces it will look great. The only way to know is to make a test block, or possibly make a pillow sham to coordinate with the planned quilt. That way you'll be able to wash the completed test piece to see what it does next.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:48 AM

Hmmm, I don't think it looks that horrible. Almost as if it were to look like that :) If it doesn't take away from the pattern design, I would use it as if it were to have been as such. Maybe wash it once more to see if it comes out more evenly, if not I think I would use it as is.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:35 AM

if you decide not to use it as is you can buy some good dye and redye it, of course you can't match the color it was but you can get some interesting effects by redying
Old 06-21-2011, 11:44 AM

Treat it like a mottled fabric and choose a pattern than uses smaller pieces and in the end, only you will know. And everyone else who has read this post. It happened and I am so sorry; but we won't tell. It will be all right.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
its not the retayne its the fabric

you can try washing it again in the hottest water you can to remove the retayne and then wash it again in the hottest water you can to try and fade it even further.

you can then over dye it yourself with purple to try and achieve a more uniform color.

with all that said i love the mottled look and wouldn't do a thing - but i'm not you and i understand the disappointment when a fabric doesn't turn out exactly as you wanted.
if you overdye with a dye like RIT, it will fade out every time you wash it. if you want it to stay as you dye it, you have to use a commercial (professional) dye. however, any dye you use will be mottled because it's starting out on mottled fabric.

it's very, very nice the way it is and definitely looks like it was supposed to be that way. i would wash it one more time to be sure it's finished doing whatever it did.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by kwhite
I think I would at least try the refund thing. You never know they might ask no questions. I think it is the fabric.
I have been a mgr at hancock's, joanns, and a couple of indep. shops and I can tell you that NO store I ever worked at would do a refund on washed fabric...most don't refund on cut yardages at all!

Yes! one store will....
I saw this with my own eyes! A lady brought in a quilt to Walmart fabric dept and said she wanted a refund on the fabric as the blue backing fabric faded all over the quilt. She bought all the fabric at Walmart even the batting. She said the quilt was ruined because of the blue dye all over it. The fabric manager could see the fabric was all Walmart as it was still on the shelf on bolts. The receipt showed how much yardage of each fabric was bought and the batting. The lady got exact yardage cut of all the fabrics except the backing, got different color backing this time, and a new package of batting. The manager okayed the exchange and she left with all new fabric to make the quilt again and the fabric manager was left with the quilt. The store manager said well my dog needs a quilt and he took it. LOL The fabric manager put a note on the blue fabric bolt that said will bleed when washed and marked it down to $1 yard and put it next to the remnant bin. When I was checking out I saw a lady with the whole bolt in her cart. I love Walmart. It's like seeing a fiction book come to life at every trip.

Oh the quilt was a yellow brick road pattern about twin bed size.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:59 PM

They make fabric that looks like it.
I would use it.
I like the color of it.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:00 PM

I can't see anything in the photo, so I think you should...

1. run in through the wash one more time....

2. make a beautiful quilt from it.

3. post a photo of your happy face and beautiful quilt here...
Old 06-21-2011, 01:05 PM

I agree, I think the fabric will be find when you put it in a quilt. I have seen this happen before and it is an overdye like Jacque said. I really don't think rewashing it will help but you could try it.