Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
which hand and which foot? >

which hand and which foot?

which hand and which foot?

Old 06-21-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by writerwomen
I am a true born lefty. However, knowing things are right handed my maother against all odds taught me to cut with right handed scissors- can't even use left. I sew like I drive- with the left foot. I do a lot of applique and my left hand is the dominate for fine turns while the right is occupied with controls. I am very confortable doing most things in a right handed world but there are some things that rub the wrong way. my huusband is a righty and we often run into conflict in the way we set things up etc.
I taught both of my left handed children to use right handed scissors, Dad said it would help them later in life; he was a lefty too.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:49 AM

I use either foot and do try to alternate so I don't get stiff.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:06 PM

Like redkimba, pstoner, et al, I too am a leftie who uses the right foot to depress the pedal. Since this is a "right-handed" world we all had to learn to adapt. I cut and iron right-handed too, although after a car crash 40 years ago I learned to brake with my left foot and find it so much easier than lifting the right foot off the gas to find the brake.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:38 PM

I'm a lefty that was never made to use my right hand and I am very thankful for that. I find that I have some advantages because calculators are made for the right handed person, but I can write with my left hand and use the calculator with my right. I never thought about desks or spiral notebooks being made for a right handed person...I just did my work. The only thing I wish my mother had done is buy me a pair of left handed scissors when I learned to sew. I was 30 years old before I bought a pair for myself and oh what a difference it made! My hand didn't hurt and I didn't have deep grooves in my hand from using right handed scissors. I actually find left handed people to be more "polite" with their elbows because we have been dodging elbows all our lives! :D

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by writerwomen
I am a true born lefty. However, knowing things are right handed my maother against all odds taught me to cut with right handed scissors- can't even use left. I sew like I drive- with the left foot. I do a lot of applique and my left hand is the dominate for fine turns while the right is occupied with controls. I am very confortable doing most things in a right handed world but there are some things that rub the wrong way. my huusband is a righty and we often run into conflict in the way we set things up etc.
I taught both of my left handed children to use right handed scissors, Dad said it would help them later in life; he was a lefty too.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:43 PM

Callie is right on slowing down a bit is the key. you can be very accurate with the on off (cruse control)
Old 06-21-2011, 01:18 PM

left handed and right footed
Old 06-21-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by toomanycats
yes suzee, my brother has told me that all my life! he is also amadexerous (close on the spelling?)and switches in the middle of a letter. He had started out left handed in school and the grade school teacher said it was wrong and used to whack him across the nuckles with a ruler to make him write with his right hand. (this was in the early 50's.) she didn't do that anymore after dad went up there and set her straight.
Had the same problem back in the early thirties. My Dad was a reporter at the time and threatened to put the story in the paper about child abuse in the schools.

I am also ambidextrous but I use my right foot on the pedal. I think cause that's the way I learned. Also have a knee lift so it is easier. Have to try the left to see how it feels.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:40 PM

I feel that I have a left-handed mind in a right-handed body. Surely makes for poor coordination, though each hand has its particular work. Sometimes the whole world seems backwards; paper-piecing is very difficult, much as I like it. My mother wouldn't let me use my left hand to eat or anything else, so I was changed before going to school. NEVER try to change a child--common knowledge now, but not 80+ years ago!
Old 06-21-2011, 01:42 PM

Oh, yes--I'm right handed and right footed; the above problem doesn't stop me from sewing and quilting!
Old 06-21-2011, 01:48 PM

I am right handed, but I use my left foot on the pedal because I machine has the knee lever on the right to raise and lower the pressure foot.