Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many machines? >

How many machines?

How many machines?

Old 06-21-2011, 01:52 AM

Wow lots of us have lots of machines don't we? When I think about my first couple of years when I went into the sewing store with my BFF and she went to look at machines and I went to look at fabric (because the machines intimidated me)I have to laugh. The girl who was never going to have a sewing machine and hand pieced my first crazy quilt in 2 years now has a my first little mechanical Singer with about 50 decorative stitches, a Janome 9500 which I LOVE, a BabylocK Ellanante 2 which I inherited from my girl friend along with her 1951 Featherweight and the serger with WOOSH by Babylock. Also a couple donated to me including an old singer slant-o-matic and a very wonderful tiny 1950s Singer that is a hand crank and fastens down to the table with a C clamp. I finished my first 16 quilts on that little mechanical Singer with no classes in about the same period of time it took to hand sew the first one and I have been pedal to the metal ever since. Happy quilting!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:12 AM
Banned

I dont even count anymore :lol:

I know I have 19 in my studio that I have allotted for use in my central treadle but there are another 8 sitting on the floor in the corner awaiting restoration to be added into the mix. Then you have my collection that I never use in my house and the 3 or 4 treadles that are in my garage that are awaiting restorations and added to the collection in my house. That doesnt include my parts machines I have in both my studio and house attics.

Yes I do admit I have a problem......... :mrgreen:

Billy
Old 06-21-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I dont even count anymore :lol:

I know I have 19 in my studio that I have allotted for use in my central treadle but there are another 8 sitting on the floor in the corner awaiting restoration to be added into the mix. Then you have my collection that I never use in my house and the 3 or 4 treadles that are in my garage that are awaiting restorations and added to the collection in my house. That doesnt include my parts machines I have in both my studio and house attics.

Yes I do admit I have a problem......... :mrgreen:

Billy
Plus, Billy, you have aided and compelled so many of us to rescue machines!!! So, you are accountable for a lot of machines... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: But, thanks. I know I sure have learned alot that I wouldn't have otherwise! :-D
Old 06-21-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
For those of you with vintaqe machines (mostly metal parts) have you seen this thread?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-1.htm

:-D
Just Remember - this is designed to be a PHOTOS ONLY database page. Please leave your comments and questions on the Vintage Sewing Machine Shoppe. Thanks
Thank you for clarifying. I forgot to mention that. And, I hope it stays that way.

Yes, the above site is only for posting PHOTOS and brief identifications of the machines. It makes for a wonderful VISUAL reference and drooling place to visit. Be sure to read Billy's opening post on page one.

:-D :-D
Old 06-21-2011, 04:54 AM

I have 1 machine. :) A regular sewing machine that I got when my Mom died 18 months ago. That's why I sew. In honor of her. I got all her fabric (and maybe just a little of her talent). I couldn't get rid of her sewing machine and fabric so I decided to learn how to quilt. I think she smiles down from heaven when I'm in my sewing room with her fabric doing what I can.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by carolynbb
I have 1 machine. :) A regular sewing machine that I got when my Mom died 18 months ago. That's why I sew. In honor of her. I got all her fabric (and maybe just a little of her talent). I couldn't get rid of her sewing machine and fabric so I decided to learn how to quilt. I think she smiles down from heaven when I'm in my sewing room with her fabric doing what I can.
Isn't it great when you have a connection like that! I got my Grandma's material and also her Singer although I've not worked with her machine. That might be something I'll try because I know it works since she used it all the time.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:26 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm. lets see two Vikings that never stop running, a Singer for backup, a Surger for squaring up to bind and a Bernina that does more than I will ever do. I WANT A LON ARM
Old 06-22-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Painiacs
In reading posts I noticed in addition to all the fabrics some own quite a few machines. I was feeling bad because I own more than a couple machines. Once I got 3 it seems they just seem to fall in my lap!! Do you use them all?
Sewww, do you feel like you are in good company now and it IS ok to own more than one sewing machine? I hope sew. :-D
Old 06-22-2011, 03:37 PM

I have 9 machines and all have a different use.
6 needle embroidery machine--embroidery only
Brother Innovis I use mainly for button holes and if someone comes over and wants to sew
Pfaff Grand quilter Straight stitch only....quilting
Pfaff 7570 My main sewing machine
Pfaff 6010 Manual machine, great for sewing retreats and for grand kids when they come to sew. (Easy to use)
Janome Gem Use to take to classes
Industrial serger---my main work horse
Viking 936 Serger---usually set for coversitch
Mini-Skipper Hemmer

Like I tell my dealer. I change machines, and some people change thread on their machines.

I would have a difficult time letting any one of my babies go.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:47 PM

I have 5, including 2 Featherweights plus a serger. I enjoy each of them as they have their own personality.