Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
YOUR quilting "style" >

YOUR quilting "style"

YOUR quilting "style"

Old 06-23-2011, 04:17 AM

I love the quickie quilts- I do a lot of baby quilts. The patterns with tons of pieces never seem to turn out that great for me. I'm nit real fond of appliqué, but will do it if I don't have to do it by hand. Designing my own is a big challenge for me- I guess I'm not that creative. I love batiks, 30's dabs and novelty fabrics. I do like traditional patterns more than the contemporary ones. I just love quilting- piecing more than anything- except of course for buying fabric. :)
Old 06-23-2011, 04:21 AM

I love it all; traditional piecing, new and "old" fabrics. I have not purchased any kits, I prefer to match colors and so forth on my own. If a pattern does not have the size I want, I try to resize it on my own. I have taken a couple of classes and would like to learn how to applique in the in future. The fun of quilting for me is that every time I make a quilt, I learn a new skill HST, flying geese etc. I also keep perfecting other skills.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:21 AM

I have been sticking to the easier quilts to build my quilt top stash. I have a LA in the box, and intend to use these tops (after a bit of practice) to work on my LA skills.
I also want to do some applique, hand quilting, and a whole cloth quilt. On the back burner for right now is a Bonnie Hunter scrap quilt. It's about halfway finished.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:28 AM

I have a tendency to have a meaning to each quilt. I prefer the traditional on my terms. I make my quilts with fabrics that mean something to me (a remembrance of one sort or another), that have a meaning. It is kind of hard to explain. I made an anniversary quilt for my husband and me with fabric that I bought at a special quilt shop and when I look at it now, finished, I will always remember our trip to Iowa to renew our vows for our 50th, visiting my husband's aunt in the Amana Colonies, visiting the homestead which is so very precious to me. Also, I made a Memory Quilt that took over a year to put together, with memories of my childhood. I found fabric that would go with each block that I can look at and totally recall an event or a pet or a friend or a neighborhood, a holiday.

I am now working on an Amish quilt with fabric from my aunt. It will remind me of my husband's and my trip to Lancaster, Penn, Gettysburg, Harrisburg. I would like to make a Civil War quilt because of the visit to Gettysburg and reading "The Union Quilters and the Dove in the Window quilt in the story and how beautiful the story was.

Everything has to have a meaning to my style. People can recognize my quilts also. Edie
Old 06-23-2011, 04:34 AM

I like traditional with modern fabrics. I love doing quilts that offer me a challenge. I really love doing bargellos, all the cutting and piecing back together.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:36 AM

I like to quilt somewhat out of the box. I take a pattern or someone elses design and change it to make it my own. I love love batiks and find myself always walking into every quilt shop and heading straight to the batiks. I try to force myself to walk somewhere else. I love brights. I am currently in to anything that is different. I also enjoy things with small intricate designs.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:39 AM

I love traditional and reproduction quilts from the Civil War, and 1930's. I also really like hand applique and have had fun doing the Patchwork Parties.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:43 AM

I'm a modern fabric girl who likes piecing both traditional and modern blocks.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:02 AM

Ghostrider - I want to see more of your quilts. Where are they posted on the web?
Old 06-23-2011, 05:08 AM

Sadly, I don't think I have a "style." I just love to sew and quilt and especially enjoy trying new things. I just discovered cathedral windows and seem to be hooked on that at the moment. The combination of machine and hand sewing is nice. I need to learn to do applique because I think I would also enjoy the amount of hand sewing involved. It is so relaxing to join my husband in the evening with something to do in my hands.