Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
YOUR quilting "style" >

YOUR quilting "style"

YOUR quilting "style"

Old 06-23-2011, 07:17 AM

Tradtional, period fabrics, all hand done. Now, that said, when I make quilts for gkids, charity, etc, they are machine done and tied or sent to the LA!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:19 AM

Free Styling
Old 06-23-2011, 07:29 AM

I like them all- traditional, contemporary, thread painting, fabric dying, numerous artforms, etc. For the most part, I let the fabric leads me in to the next creation. I know I'm not much into the reproductions but I also know I can never pass up batiks. I've always enjoyed painting and sketch drawing. And this board has helped me expand that by using the Derwent pencils to transfer some of my artwork into quilts. And from what others have said I too feel that quilting is the most versatile art form in the world and that suits me just fine.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:33 AM

While I do appreciate the more traditional quilts, piecing the same block multiple times is not my love. OBW is fun and relatively quick and the results amazing. I've made a few landscape quilts and enjoy them. My next challenge will probably be a "Portrait" quilt or some kind of "Photo Inspired" quilt. These are usually smaller, so not such a huge commitment of fabric etc. I guess my "style" would be evolutionary--on to the next idea.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:38 AM

Log cabin is my favorite; next is stack n whack. I made one in vintage fabric, one in bright colors. Now i am making a log cabin in primary colors. It is a strip piece; so a little different. I started an applique for a sewing machine cover. First attempt was TERRIBLE..i put that in my 1.5 scrap bag and started another. It is a dogwood wreath. I am doing it right..reading the instructions, basting the pieces. I want it to be nice. Sewing is so relaxing exept for the times I have to get up and walk away from it. :)
Old 06-23-2011, 07:40 AM

I don't know if I would say I'm a "traditional" gal. I like modern looking quilts too. I too have wondered about the get-it-done-fast patterns. I wonder what the rush is. I understand the need for beginner simplicity. Everyone starts somewhere. I also understand the desire for a quick gift. But as a general rule, I enjoy the work of creating something truly beautiful and challenging over quick and dirty. I think it's a sign of the times, like frozen entrees and fast food. People are too busy to take it slow, but still want to enjoy the art.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 AM

I like to start w/ a classic block and take it out for a spin!
I have designed my own blocks, but for the most part there are thousands of blocks out there where the geometry is already done and where almost limitless variations can be accomplished by settings, fabrics and surface techniques.
I do love curves and circles a whole lot too-
Old 06-23-2011, 08:40 AM

I have tried a couple of those 'get it done' patterns and just didn't really enjoy the result. I am also a traditional quilter and now just have a selection of fast to do blocks in a folder for gifting. I see no reason to give something *I* don't like to charity. I'd rather donate something I can be proud of.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:44 AM

I love almost all types of quilting. That being said I can't leave a pattern alone. I morph my bought patterns a lot more than doing it their way. I love tradional patterns with a twist. I designer patterns and try to add my all time love applique as a part of the design. I do design a few non applique patterns. I also love art quilts and have been edging into it for my personal quilting. Thanks for asking the ? Luann
Old 06-23-2011, 08:45 AM

I like the "old" style of quilts that were made by "inventing" your own pattern. Strings and scraps quilts are best and most beautiful to me. I really enjoy seeing the quilts that are made because someone had an "idea", or saw a design they thought would make a nice quilt. The "Frat Quilt" I posted was just that, decide what you want to do, do the math and just do it.