Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
YOUR quilting "style" >

YOUR quilting "style"

YOUR quilting "style"

Old 06-23-2011, 08:50 AM

I think I like traditional, especially with lots of pieces. I love quilts with a combination of applique and piecing. I do love folk art type quilts and scrappy. Lately, I've seen some 30's quilts that I've never appreciated before, so, I'm collecting fabrics for that type. I've done several batik quilts, too.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:50 AM

I am a newbie and still working on my first quilt. I started out with another quilt and will get back to it, although I thought it would be simple when I started it, it was too hard for me to start with. This one is a strip quilt. I bought the strips already cut and added a focus fabric. I chose backing fabric, put a few blocks and part of a panel on it. I sandwiched it and basted and pinned it. Well, when I tried to machine quilt on my Elna, the back was too loose and bunched up. I took all that out and I am now hand quilting it on a rectangular pvc quilting stretcher. It is looking nice so far although I can see some mistakes.
I think I will stick with strip and block quilts for a while until my sewing skills get back to where they were when I sewed more.
Reading what everyone does and seeing the georgous quilts on this board inspires me. Maybe I will grow up to be able to do some quilts like these.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by JanTx
I am a "get 'er done" girl! The quicker the better. Put the pedal to the metal and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

That being said - I've been quilting less than a year so these easy patterns fit my skill level just fine. Someday I hope I grow up to do more intricate things.
you will..that is the ONLY saving grace to those quicky quilts..it helps the newbies practice their cutting straight and stitching the PERFECT 1/4" seam allowance...but when you are ready to MOVE ON...look out...there is a HUGE variety out there waiting on you to attack!
I think most quilters start with something they can finish. If you enjoy "get er done" quilts, good for you. Quilting is for the fun anyway. I still cut squares and like you just put nine patches together in a hurry, place a pretty border and get it done. So far I love all my quilts but the ones I remember the most are the easiest ones to finisih in the shortest period of time. I get to enjoy the finished product quicker! Do what you enjoy and if you decide to grow up, (and in some ways I hope you don't), and move on to more involved quilts you will enjoy those also. If you decide you like what you are doing, keep doing it. You are the artist and your quilt is your canvas, have fun.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:11 AM

I am with you, I prefer the traditional quilts/patterns.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:13 AM

I started with simple and quick and every quilt turns into a different style. I am in the middle of a design as I go oriental looking quilt now and trying to add more borders with swans that I haven't found yet. Oh well, the kids and grand kids seem to enjoy every one I make, even though they are all different.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 AM

I guess I like the traditional. It's probably my age. However I like the bright colors and batiks.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

I think of myself as an "eclectic" quilter. I do a lot of 9-patch with snowball blocks for baby quilts, I have many requests from my daughter for baby quilts for her friends, I make lots of table runners and placemats for my church's fair, using some old and more traditional patterns. I make raffle quilts for my church's fair to raise money, one actually made over $1,000 and I was quite thrilled. Right now I'm working on an older, traditional block - Sister's Choice in blues and white as this year's family reunion quilt in memory of my sister who passed away 2 years ago, shortly after the last reunion. I think this is #8 or #9, I've lost count and everyone loves getting a chance to take the quilt home. My family sends fabric (usually I pick a color or colors), I make the quilt, then we raffle it off, but everyone has at least one chance to win the quilt. Last year I did a Dresden Plate in blues from a book by Eleanor Burns and it was beautiful. But my best work (I think) was a quilt I made for my best friend to hang in her log cabin home in Tenn. The middle was an appliqued landscape, feauturing a log cabin, trees, mountains, etc. surrounded by flying geese, then log cabin blocks - she loved it I love batiks and plan to make myself a Boston Commons quilt in batiks, but first I have to make an "Egyptian" quilt for my son and his wife as a late wedding present, wish me luck, it's applique, paper pieced, etc. Should be fun.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:46 AM

It seems that I am the odd one - my eye always deviates to the Turning 20 and Brick road types of patterns, I just take graph paper and figure out my own pattern as well.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:51 AM

I love all quilts.I have done some with 1400 plus pcs.but I enjoy the quick basic quilt that can be used and loved and worn out.nothing against art quilts just 2 different styles and end result-one to treasure and not use daily and the other kind to create memories with.I make them for my family and expect them to be used and loved.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:22 PM

I love threads like this one that make me actually think about how I quilt. Like you, I do a "fast and easy" quilts for service quilts and quick gifts for babies and kids. These, I try to make durable and useable, knowing they will be tossed in the washer often. For my own satisfaction, I gravitate toward very traditional quilts, often using 30's fabric or embroidery but quilted on the machine. Probably 80 percent of my machine quilting is feathers because it gives such a nice, traditional look to the work. Once in awhile, I do a novelty quilt but these tend to gobble up even more time than the traditional quilts--probably because I invest so much time in figuring out how to get a "look" that I want. There's one of those in progress now and I sometimes think it will never see completion.