Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I had an epiphany >

I think I had an epiphany

I think I had an epiphany

Old 06-23-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jshep
Originally Posted by mermaid
2 different sizes of needle--aren't they used for upholstery? Well, a quilt upholsters a bed..in a manner of speaking!
I thought those were used for tying quilts.

Judy
Someday I am going to learn to read all the way through before I post a reply. Sorry

Judy
Old 06-23-2011, 07:40 AM
Banned

Basting 3 quilt layers together this a.m...having difficulty with my needle, and suddenly a bubble popped in my brain (figuratively). Tho't "why not?" Has anyone else used the curved needles for 'sandwiching'? And why didn't you tell me about this method? I'm having a pout about being left in the dark!
I thought that everyone knew you used the curved needles...only not for just sandwiching, but for basting and even tieing!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:49 AM

Great Idea! I have some in a bottom drawer that have been there for years. Just never thought of using them in that way.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:52 AM

Jo-Ann's has the curved quilting needles in the Quilting Notion Section-if still looking for some!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 AM

i love "repurposing" of things--these have been used in operating rooms for ages. the heavier ones are known as "mayo" needles--the design goes back to the doctors mayo, of the clinic fame.

i use an old probe from work for turning corners on sewn things. i use old clamps for pulling things through that are too tough for my fingers.

the dentist uses a "crown remover" in his office that is a "towel clip" in the operating room. hubby used to laugh when i'd bring home cast-offs from work, until he fell heir to an old stethescope of mine that he uses in his garage for diagnosing engine problems.

i love my old curved needles. they are functional, and bring back memories! and i use an old cast-off clamp for stitching with them. it saves my fingers.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:13 AM

Basting 3 quilt layers together this a.m...having difficulty with my needle, and suddenly a bubble popped in my brain (figuratively). Tho't "why not?" Has anyone else used the curved needles for 'sandwiching'? And why didn't you tell me about this method? I'm having a pout about being left in the dark!
I also had the idea but hadn't tested it out. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:21 AM

I thought that was what the curved needles were made for. Silly me, I've been using curved needles for quite some time. If I hit a snag and the needle doesn't move smoothly I use a hemostat (aligator clip like thingy) and "walla" done in a flash. I like the hemostat because when you clamp it onto the needle you don't have to keep applying pressure, it locks onto the needle until you release it. Gives you good control when using the curved needles.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 AM

yes, and I use it for many things - a great tool
Old 06-23-2011, 09:49 AM

The idea crossed my mind but never tried. I put a very small marble under
my sandwich and this helps to catch all 3 layers.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:21 PM

I have always used them for sandwich basting and whenever I tie off a quilt. So much easier.