Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Destashing >

Destashing

Destashing

Old 06-23-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
I am headed to Maine in two weeks for vacation and plan on stimulating the local quilt ecomony!!! Same for Boston and Mystic CT.
Deb,

Between Boston and Mystic you have to go right through little Rhode Island - definately worth the time to swing a couple minutes off the beaten path and go to Just Fabrics. It's in Cranston. Not a big shop or fancy but the owner has all out of print LQS quality fabrics at GREAT prices. She's open M through Saturday 10 - 5. Well worth the stop!

enjoy
Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 AM

I am getting ready to destash. I was wondering where is a good place to sell some of the fabric?
Old 06-23-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by jlynnbach
I am getting ready to destash. I was wondering where is a good place to sell some of the fabric?
here of course!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SharBear
I am headed to Maine in two weeks for vacation and plan on stimulating the local quilt ecomony!!! Same for Boston and Mystic CT.
Deb,

Between Boston and Mystic you have to go right through little Rhode Island - definately worth the time to swing a couple minutes off the beaten path and go to Just Fabrics. It's in Cranston. Not a big shop or fancy but the owner has all out of print LQS quality fabrics at GREAT prices. She's open M through Saturday 10 - 5. Well worth the stop!

enjoy
and if you are in Cranston, isn't that where they make the fabrics? you might plan a tour of the facilities?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:15 AM

Good post. Call the quilter who recently posted she puts in a barrel anything smaller than 1/2 yard!
I have heard this before, has to do with the cotton shortage worldwide.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Love it! Have fun.
Don't forget the Vermont festival this weekend if that is on route - Maine's is next month
Old 06-23-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by np3
I appreciate the concerns over prices going up, but here is my take on de-stashing. I have fabrics that I buy because I love them. Then I can find nothing that I like to go with them. Or I buy a cute children's print and no longer have anyone of that age to make anything for. I don't do scrappy. But I can't stand to throw the pieces away. So I store it and it gets enjoyed by no one unless it is a day when I just pull things out to touch them. Now that I have retired, I am being more realistic about what I will use and what will still be here when my home becomes my estate.

So I sell off the pieces that I know I won't be using, even though I still love them, in the hopes that they will give someone else joy. I am doing the same with patterns.
Ditto! Mainly I give away to guilds and churches what I know I won't use. Even just last week I sent a huge bag of yarn (3 colors, 6 skeins each plus a couple of 2 pounders) with my husband to work to give to a young lady with 5 children and a non-working husband due to job loss. Yah, I felt good about it. PS I don't give away yardage or something I bought in the past few years. Ends up being scraps or odds and ends or FQ from yard sales or Goodwill or inherited fabric. Selfish me I am keeping the good stuff...
Old 06-23-2011, 10:45 AM

Am doing the same.... using what I already have, making scrap
pieces in sizes from mini-wallhangings to lap quilts.
Then the Yard and Garage sales are another source, as well
as Goodwill, Salv. Army, and other re-sale shops.
For instance: today at re-sale found 2 lovely yards, polished
cotton floral for only $2.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:46 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
De-stash...that word is not in my vocabulary! I went shopping yesterday, looking for a border fabric for a mystery BOM I am working on, and bought fabric at Hancock's, Hobby Lobby, Joanns and a local LQS. Had a 40% coupon at Hancock's, a 50% coupon at Joanns, a 40% coupon at Hobby Lobby and my coupon book was full for the LQS so got two yards of beautiful batik for just $2.24, the tax. Good shopping day!
Ah, so that's what they mean by EXTREME couponing! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 06-23-2011, 11:57 AM

We are all probably going to have to start bartering for everything soon with the way the economy is going! :(