Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This makes me so sad - Estate Quilts >

This makes me so sad - Estate Quilts

This makes me so sad - Estate Quilts

Old 06-24-2011, 04:32 AM

Another assumption that many of you are making is that this quilter even has a family, let alone that they are rejecting her work somehow. Perhaps she was not a quilter at all, but a qulit 'collector'. Maybe the estate has huge debts that must be paid. You'll never know for sure, so why think the worst of the situation?
Old 06-24-2011, 04:45 AM

If I was in the area, I'd purchase as many as I could and donate them to nursing homes. Wouldn't that cheer up those dreary rooms?
Old 06-24-2011, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

Exactly ghostrider....I have no kids...my family is small, so not many other relatives either. I made a Dear Jane quilt that I bet will someday be auctioned in exactly this same manner. You just never know the "back story". I'd just go to the auction, have fun and bring home some new goodie to love!
Old 06-24-2011, 04:49 AM

When I had my shop, there was an 'incident' where a lady brought in a quilt and asked me if I thought she could get any money for a hand-pieced, hand-quilted double wedding ring that her grandmother had made for her mother when she got married. The girls who worked for me nearly had to hold me back to keep me from jumping the counter and taking her out. She had such a prissy, snotty attitude and no appreciation for the time that went into it. I asked her if her daughter would want it...her reply....Quilts are too country for me AND my daughter. They had already given a few of those quilts away to her church. I rescued the quilt and I am sure there is a lady in heaven blessing me.....for saving her quilt. :)
Old 06-24-2011, 05:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chickerson
This makes me so sad to see a closet full of love being sold at an Estate Sale. I'm guessing the family doesn't understand the love and time it took to make these memories. I'm going to try to get to the sale on Friday.
don't be..with that many quilts, I am sure she made MORE and that the family has all they wanted....you also do not know if "HER" estate was in order..she might have left them with a mountain of debts to pay off....OR there might have been NO will and it went to probate to be settled by public auction and the kids will have to come and bid on them to get anything of their moms...

I work estate sales/auctions..sometimes, it is NOT what it might appear!
Old 06-24-2011, 05:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Just Me...
When I had my shop, there was an 'incident' where a lady brought in a quilt and asked me if I thought she could get any money for a hand-pieced, hand-quilted double wedding ring that her grandmother had made for her mother when she got married. The girls who worked for me nearly had to hold me back to keep me from jumping the counter and taking her out. She had such a prissy, snotty attitude and no appreciation for the time that went into it. I asked her if her daughter would want it...her reply....Quilts are too country for me AND my daughter. They had already given a few of those quilts away to her church. I rescued the quilt and I am sure there is a lady in heaven blessing me.....for saving her quilt. :)
well,, the same could be said about YOUR attitude...you are a quilt snob...she is a 5th ave. snob...EACH of us have our likes and dislikes..that is what makes the world go "bankrupt" round!
I prefer traditional scrappy to funky modern quilts..my mom does not care for quilts, my one sister would give it to her dog and the other likes more country folksy stuff...all in the same family..go figure...

bashing someone because they do not care for quilts is wrong..it is THEIR choice, their right, their belief...just as you have yours..
Old 06-24-2011, 05:31 AM

I have a few in a closet. Going to find a good home for them through donations to people who need them now and will appreciate them.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:22 AM

I have many quilts and am stil making more,I do not have family to give them to. Have given hundreds to charety. The ones I have are queen size that I have made just because. When I die all will have to be disposed of and if they are sold I feel they will go to people who will use them. If not sold I hope they will go to the homeless. :-)
Gloria
Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 AM

Hopefully, if people have made 'too many' quilts, they can find causes to donate them to for fundraising. Then, non-profits can either directly provide quilts to people in need (or pets), or they can hold silent auctions or raffles for a great way to raise funds for services they offer. That'd be my hope if I have too many 'left over' at the end of my life. Especially for those in 'new' condition.
If my family doesn't want them, I'll request in my trust to donate them to organizations I, or they, support.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:28 AM

I wish I would have seen this sooner. I would have sent you some $ to shop for me! Hope you can rescue some of them.

This is perhaps the best avenue -- chances are they'll all be purchased by folks who appreciate them!