Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Left-Handed Quilters Issues? >

Left-Handed Quilters Issues?

Left-Handed Quilters Issues?

Old 06-24-2011, 04:30 AM

I have always had trouble cutting but own Gingher left handed scissors and a rotary cutter, it helps. Theironing board thing, hubby always has to go to the opposite side if he uses the iron after me. Thecord comes out the back instead of one side so that helps me also.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by montanajan
Originally Posted by sewmary
My cutter can be configured either left or right handed.

I have learned to adjust directions and such.

But do not take away my left-handed scissors. The best thing ever - and I love it when right-handed people pick them up and realize that somtehing isn't right.
My thoughts exactly! Right-handed friends/family do not know how uncomfortable scissors can be until they try to cut w/ my left-handed ones. At least 35 years ago Cream of Wheat had a Fiskars scissors offer w/ UPC, so I ordered a full set - large scissors, kitchen scissors, small snippers, etc in left-handed style. Hubby & I are each lefties, so they work well for us - just get them sharpened as necessary - hope they last our lifetime.
DITTO
Old 06-24-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew
Does anybody but me among the left-handed find that they have problems with tools/equipment/layout/cutting?

I just bought one and discovered that the OLFA is a right-handed cutter. I have trouble with visual instructions because the wrong hands are in them.

No, after 48 years I am used to right-handed sewing machines! LOL
I bought a left-handed rotary cutter and love it. And I have left-handed scissors. Otherwise, I have adjusted after over 60 years of sewing. :thumbup:
Old 06-24-2011, 05:57 AM

The biggest problem has been with cutting. Someone will show me how to position my fabric and then we have to re arrange it so I can cut it. I never thought about switching the blade on the cutter-----great idea------thanks
Old 06-24-2011, 06:01 AM

Being a lefty, I have learned to adapt.

I can't use things made for "lefties" because of this. But I still manage to work around issues that crop up.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:03 AM

Wow, there are a lot of us lefty quilters. I use the Fiskars rotary cutter with the blade on the "other" side, I use scissors righty, I use the lines on the cutting mat and rulers but not the numbers ( I do a lot of touching lines and counting...since I'm a special ed teacher it comes naturally!). My biggest problem is figuring out which direction things go together...don't know if that's a lefty problem or just me. I have a lot of trouble with left and right when following directions.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:12 AM

I was just going to say I have taught people to quilt, and crochet. What I do is have them either sit of stand directly in front of me. They really appreciate that I have figured out a way to help them. Also as for the rulers. When they were having trouble reading the marks on them I had them turn the clear rulers over. That way they were still able to read the numbers and see the marks. Hey it helped. Like the one lady said on a lot of the the cutters you can change the blades to the other sides. So try to find that kind.
Hope these suggestions. Help.
Quilty Hugs,
Ann W.in Indiana
Old 06-24-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lyncat
"My biggest problem is figuring out which direction things go together...don't know if that's a lefty problem or just me. I have a lot of trouble with left and right when following directions.
Me too - it may go with leftiness. My biggest problem when I started quilting was to NOT sew things inside out. When I made clothes I'd get the sleeves wrong. I consider this quilting thing part of developing and stimulating that part of my brain Maybe it's like a spatial dylexia?

As for the rulers, I got a beginner's book "Basics and Beyond" which showed how to cut using rulers left-handed - but I still count the blocks just to double check.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
http://www.missouriquiltco.com/notio...tter-45mm.html

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...0000000083576P

I bought these as a present for left handed friends.Good reports so far.
I have this rotary cutter and love it. In addition to being left handed, I also have rheumatoid arthritis and standing long enough to cut very many pieces is difficult. With this cutter, I can sit and cut.....it's wonderful.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Banned

So happy u posted - I thought it was just me. Hardest thing I have are the ladies I teach to quilt. When it's a class for a particular quilt it's ok but when I get new people I'm showing how to cut and so forth I simply can't wrap my head around how to hold the rulers right handed. After 49 years of living I still do little if anything right handed, except golf. Instructor never asked what hand and I never knew I was golfing right handed. Olfa cutters can usually be used for both hands but I do have terrible time with picture directions that show it cutting backwards for me. Eleanor Burns day and night book has cutting directions for each. Maybe one day the other authors will catch up as well. In the mean time - lefties rule.